Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Z3 at 70

My Cars
    1964 Rambler American

First Z3 at 70

Just bought a 2001 2.5 with 60K miles. Beautiful car. Atlantic (?) blue with beige. Pics coming when I learn how. Power top is now manual but will work to get it back to power. I'm looking for a vert top boot cover because I like the clean look when the top is down. But I don't know yet how it attaches to the car. Does anyone have a cover they want to sell??? Do the cover's work well by staying in place? Can someone tell me where to find the color codes for the interior as I need to buy some leather dye. Car runs great but needs detailing. Top is dirty and rear window not too clear. Will probably replace the top or dye it. I'm going to experiment first. It's good to finally own a z3.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Welcome to the club,enjoy!

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Welcome. Check out roadstersolutions.com for a boot cover and other accessories. The magnetic rocks guards are nice to have. The factory boot cover can be hard to find but I’d look on eBay etc. We drive one of the best cars ever made to cruise with the top down. Roadster solutions has new OE covers but they’re pricey
    Last edited by z3forlife; 03-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    First Z3 at 70 here as well. We got a very clean 2000 shipped to our home in Wisconsin, site unseen from a dealer selling on consignment from Virginia. Shipped to our front door. We bought in November and got one 80 mile test ride in before storing it for winter. Looking forward to this driving season. Ours has the convertible tonneau cover you asked about. It’s thick, fairly rigid rubber and absolutely will stay in place once installed. Ten or fifteen minutes to unfold it and tuck it in and your done. My first time, I didn’t tuck it in and one of the forum members pointed out my mistake. I was glad I posted pictures and was promptly corrected. If you want to clean up the look, this is totally the way to go. I’m not sure of cost or availability, but it would be well worth pursuing.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

By the way, you need to post 10 times before you can post pictures. Once you get there, click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of your post, then scroll down to Manage Attachments. Once there, you pick out the pictures you want to post followed by selecting the Done button on the bottom right hand side of the screen. You’ll figure it out.

Cheers.

Edit: Just saw the boot cover link in the post above. Almost $600. Ouch. Sure glad ours was in the trunk. It did not come with the Windblocker rear window, but I bought one and installed it (not pictured) based on other forum members recommendations. Haven’t tried it yet, but looks like a good addition for top down comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 03-15-2019 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Welcome!
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1964 Rambler American
    thanks to all...and tigershark for the boot cover advice. Found one for 300$ on c/l. Kinda far away tho....will decide this weekend. The car came with the windscreen but no boot cover or car cover so I will probably try to get both. I ordered a seat belt guide driver's side today. seems like a common problem on these cars. I learned today that I have a airbag button missing on the pass door. Gotta find that somewhere I guess. Well it's a blast to drive just a little difficult to get in and out. I try not to show the struggle but without an OS handle above my head it's hard. thanks for the welcoming....good to be alive

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    There are several on line suppliers that you can get parts: ECS tuning, Pelican, turners, to name a few. The tonneau (oem) are pricey. They are available from time to time but tend to go fast. I’m not sure if they were extra or standard. I had a 2.8 that came with one but my M roadster did not have one. I found one on eBay in the uk and with shipping it was $285.

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Oh, just noticed you have a 64 Rambler American! My father had a 65 in 1965 and I had a 68 (much later than 1968) while in college. Under appreciated. Mine was the 290 (actually I believe it was a ford supplied 289).

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I was missing the airbag rubber plug on the driver side and found one. Perfect fit.

Not sure if this fits your model, but here’s a link to an airbag cover (right hand door panel rubber plug). Exactly like the one I got for the driver door. Probably what you need. Item 23 in door panel trim parts breakdown in link.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_2351
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 03-16-2019 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    1964 Rambler American
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd72 View Post
    Oh, just noticed you have a 64 Rambler American! My father had a 65 in 1965 and I had a 68 (much later than 1968) while in college. Under appreciated. Mine was the 290 (actually I believe it was a ford supplied 289).
    The American is a 6cyl robin egg blue convertible with 3 on tree, very fun to drive and gets tons of attention because very few people know what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    I was missing the airbag rubber plug on the driver side and found one. Perfect fit.

Not sure if this fits your model, but here’s a link to an airbag cover (right hand door panel rubber plug). Exactly like the one I got for the driver door. Probably what you need. Item 23 in door panel trim parts breakdown in link.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_2351
    thanks tigershark, I will check it out.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 01 330i, 07 328iT
    For leather dye I’ve used the following with good results

https://www.leatherworldtech.com/

My Cars
    1960 Willys wagon 4by4,
    Welcome! If you are not in a hurry for the boot keep looking. It took me some time but I picked one up for a C-note. It was in new condition, he forgot he had it when he sold his Z. I had to drive about a hundred miles, but with the top down it was a win-win. Like Tigershark48"s photo shows, it really finishes them off. Enjoy your new rig!

My Cars
    EuroE36M3, X6, E93, E46,
    Congratulations on the Z3. Sold mine a while back and still regretting it. Find myself going through the classifieds looking for the perfect replacement.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by wet willy View Post
    Welcome! If you are not in a hurry for the boot keep looking. It took me some time but I picked one up for a C-note. It was in new condition, he forgot he had it when he sold his Z. I had to drive about a hundred miles, but with the top down it was a win-win. Like Tigershark48"s photo shows, it really finishes them off. Enjoy your new rig!
    Ageed. $300 is too much. I sold mine for under $150 because I never used it (way too much hassle to store and use , and I would never leave it parked with the top down), and I have little storage room.

My Cars
    1964 Rambler American
    the only one I can find now is for sale for $300 plus shippping. The only other one is cheaper by $50.00 but local pickup only. Too far away.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Yes, it depends on how badly you want one NOW. One month there might be none available, the next month 5.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    They look nice enough, but you will eventually put it on a shelf and forget it--it's a PITA to deal with on a daily basis--don't spend $300 on one--it's worth $100, no more.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    You will want to get a microfiber wrapped pool noodle or comparable to put in the fold of the window when down. It helps prevent creasing. The boot cover is a PITA if you have to constantly put on/off but they look nice when you go to cars&coffee events
    Last edited by z3forlife; 03-16-2019 at 07:44 PM.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    As others have indicated, it depends on how often you drive top up/top down. It would absolutely be a pain to go back and forth regularly as it takes some forceful persuasion to put it on and take it off. My plan is to keep the car garaged, driving it only on perfect days. Pure pleasure vs daily driver. For me. The top will be down all summer. Also, considering the fact that the new price on a cover is pushing $600, the one you found for $300 is not that bad. For my driving routine, plus the way it looks, I feel it’s worth it. As a daily driver, I’d pass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    You will want to get a microfiber wrapped pool noodle or comparable to put in the fold of the window when down. It helps prevent creasing. The boot cover is a PITA if you have to constantly put on/off but they look nice when you go to cars&coffee events
    What’s a pool noodle?

My Cars
    1999 z3 1.8
    Pool noodle - Round plastic pipelike float that kids use in a swimming pool.
    I use a split soft plastic pipe lagging length wrapped with toweling to increase the diameter, it gets laid across the window fold when the hood is lowered and acts as a cushion between the folded plastic ofthe window and prevents creasing and scratching.

My Cars
    1999 z3 1.8
    You can check the build specs of your car by entering last seven digits of your Vin number on this site to see what it left the factory with. https://www.mdecoder.com/

Leather colour will be listed, I had to send a thumbnail size sample to a UK leather dye supplier to match my colour when I wanted to restore my drivers seat bolster which had worn. Snipped a small sample from the rear underside of the seat. They matched the colour exactly and when applied has restored the bolster.
    UK company I used was Gliptone Scuff Master.
    https://www.liquidleather.com/scuffmaster-m36

My Cars
    1964 Rambler American
    I've bought dye from LeatherWorld before for a porsche and it came out real nice. Just not sure what color beige/tan interior I have. I'm thinking about dyeing the vert top as well. It's in good shape but the rear window is cloudy and needs to be resealed. Not sure yet what glue/sealant to use. I would really like to go with a blue vert top. I wonder if a blue dye could cover beige/tan. Has anyone bought a vert soft top from EBAY that says stayfast material for $279.00??? I'm not too sure about DIY on the vert top. You tube instructions look complicated.

My Cars
    1999 z3 1.8
    Check out the Vin number of your car on the link I posted, it will show you what colour your upholstery is.

My Cars
    '02 BMW Z3 2.5
    I bought my 2.5i 16 years ago at age 52. My wife wanted me to wait until I retired (age 67), but I wanted to be young enough to enjoy it. Well, at 69 I still enjoy it and I hope you do as well for many years to come.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Good for you. You can update us in another 16 years!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast