Thread: Front suspension, help!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5spd, 1999 Mercedes-Benz CL500

Front suspension, help!

Hello. I posted on an another forum, but people don't seem to be very active over there. Front suspension completely dead, and I need to drive. Where to get cheapest yet decent quality front suspension kit? I looke don eBay, two U.S. sellers, Mac Auto Parts and Hex Parts sell kits for around $200 or so. Anybody bought from either one of them? Enhanced/heavy duty/sport/urithane suspension upgrades is a plus, I guess. Please let me know. Bavauto seems to be out of business. Sad. Can't afford to go to the dealer, I am on a tight budget and there are 50 other things wrong with this car, too.
    Thanks again.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Forget about the dealer. On a budget? Figure out what you actually need first. My experience has been that kits don't offer enough savings to make up for including parts you don't need.

Some front end parts are worth paying for top quality, while others can be skimped on. In the former category are thrust arms first and foremost, lower control arms, shock mounts, and to a lesser extent shocks. These are harder to change and more finely-tuned for the chassis; the wrong durometer of bushing can cause subtle (or not!) handling and ride issues out of the box. In the latter category are steering linkages and swaybar links: easier to change and not much wiggle room (no pun intended) between intact and not.

You probably need all four control arms. For those (especially the upper/thrust arms) I wouldn't bother with anything other than Lemförder. All the same, get underneath (not on ramps) with a prybar and bigass pliers and start wiggling, figure out what's loose before spending a dime.

Unbranded Ebay stuff is a waste of money. Oh the seller has a 99% rating do they? Remind me again how long the Ebay feedback period is?
    Last edited by moroza; 03-15-2019 at 02:26 PM.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Check out fcpeuro.com . I got a meyle hd kit from them on sale in 2017. (are you just after control arms and sway bar links etc). Just checking now by putting in e34 525 and they have lemforder~$500-600 and meyle $300-400.
    I think my meyle hd was around $500 when I got it, but didn't notice them listing meyle HD any more.
    I wouldn't bother with ebay no brand stuff

E: On the note that moroza made regarding kits, seems fcpeuro still have meyle hd control arms for 117
    regular arms for $97
    And you can get cheaper rein brand sway bar links for $18
    Then work out if your tie rods are bad, and you idler arm or centre drag bar ball joints, struts and mounts etc.
    Their prices are lower than many on ebay for the exact brand name item, and in the USA you'd get free shipping and lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by fo3; 03-14-2019 at 01:18 PM.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Rockauto.com lists a Lemforder control arm with bushing for $63.79
    amazon.com has it in aluminum (good) for $62.60 including bushing plus $15.23 shipping
    fcpeuro, one of my favorite suppliers, charges $110.08, with bushing, free shipping to CONUS addresses, but not to me d*amm their eyes.

Surprised to hear Bavauto is gone, they advertised a lot, back in the day, and had a good online catalog from 'way back. All things must pass.

Also check rmeuropean.com, ecstuning.com and turnermotorsport.com

There are other sources. If you're going to run an older Bimmer, you need to pay attention to all the aftermarket sources. AND their shipping costs. For my in Hawaii, shipping is make-or-break. All youse in CONUS with free shipping, we are subsidizing you by paying a shitload. I've taken this up with sellers several times, to no avail. Grates my gears, d*mmit.

Once in a rare while, armed with competing prices including shipping, your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) can do you good. Don't try beat them down, they can easily tell you to eff off, but give them an opportunity to try. Be nice, they may return the favor.

YMMV depending on shipping
    Last edited by Honolulu; 03-15-2019 at 02:43 AM.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I got Dorman control arms from rockauto. Good quality for little money.
    demet

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Check back in a few months about those Dorman arms. I've had bad luck with that brand specifically - DOA brake parts and poor warranty/customer service - and would highly advise against control arms (at least the bushings) by them. Tierods, maybe.

Those alu arms on Amazon are sold by Orange Coast Infiniti IIRC. I was suspicious about the low price, ordered anyway, and sure enough they're the real deal and OCI's shipping and customer service get good marks from me. They sold thrust arms for slightly less than FCP, but the latter's lifetime warranty won out there.
    Last edited by moroza; 03-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    They've been on the car for over two years now without issues.
    demet

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i
    You want cheap? Go RockAuto. They have a front end kit for around $200 for the 525i and 535i.
    Chris
    1991 BMW 525i
    M50 with auto trans
    Build date 10/90
    Alpine White II
    Black/tan interior with leather