RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E46 330xi O2 Sensors

My Cars
    330xi

E46 330xi O2 Sensors

So I just started working on a 2005 E46 330xi for my little brother. Fuse #30 was blowing, every time he would attempt to start the car. He decided to put a 20amp fuse in place of a 7.5 amp fuse and took out his EGS. The young ones and their growing pains. lol

I got this issue fixed, and the car is running again without any dash lights. I got the trans out of safe mode and this is what I decided to focus my attention on first.

Whenever I clear the codes for his engine, these 4 errors return every time. There is "not" a service engine light on, but the car has about about 125k miles with no record of them having ever been changed out. The real-time diagnostics shows the first two running around 38% and the second 2 running at 98%. I was going to go ahead and replace all 4, if I need to, but I was wondering if this is really necessary until the service light comes on.

If anyone has any suggestions about replacing them, this is what I'm looking for; and also any suggestions about the best part to use. BMW wants 265$ each, so I'm hoping I can get something local around the 80$ each range.

Thanks in advance...... If anyone needs more information, free free to ask...

I'm getting the follow errors from INPA

Result

25 Lambda Bank 1

Errorcode 19 72 01 28 17 1A 50 88 86 95

55 Lambda Bank 2

Errorcode 37 72 01 28 17 1A 51 88 86 95

79 Lambda Kat Bank 1

Errorcode 4F 72 01 28 17 1A 57 88 86 95

61 Lambda Kat Bank 2

Errorcode 3D 72 01 28 17 1A 55 88 86 95
    Last edited by watchursix; 03-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    what year is this 330?

what scan tool are you using? (oops, i see that you are using INPA) - hmm, it should give an actual description of the error, not just the codes.

any idea what fuel trims look like?

at any rate - to answer your question - yes, you can use the Bosch OEM sensors, you do not need the BMW ones in this instance. Just get the Bosch model that has the "exact fit" or OE fit, i forget their terminology. Until I had cat efficiency codes or some other reason to suspect the post cat o2's, i'd do the pre cat only if i were going to just change them based on age/mileage.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

I am using Bosch on both E-46's and work great, even getting a bit better mileage on top too.

I would start with the up steam first, and at the same time, check for vacuum leaks.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    In order to pull up wiring diagrams, and find out all the things fuse 30 feeds, I need to know the year of the car.

I'd never throw a whole bunch of O2 sensors at a car due to codes, until after I'd smoke tested the intake/ccv system, and also tested fuel pressure.

Yes, Primary O2 sensors are maintenance items at 100k miles, but....O2 sensor codes do NOT mean the O2 sensors are bad, necessarily/

I can't read numbers, I need the words which accompany all those codes. Maybe these codes say "O2 sensor heater circuit"....I don't know, but, depending on the wording, you might just have onem shorted sensor wire, and a dead fuse.

Need more info. Also, a pro smoke test is highly recommended as the first step in chasing mixture codes.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    In order to pull up wiring diagrams, and find out all the things fuse 30 feeds, I need to know the year of the car.

I'd never throw a whole bunch of O2 sensors at a car due to codes, until after I'd smoke tested the intake/ccv system, and also tested fuel pressure.

Yes, Primary O2 sensors are maintenance items at 100k miles, but....O2 sensor codes do NOT mean the O2 sensors are bad, necessarily/

I can't read numbers, I need the words which accompany all those codes. Maybe these codes say "O2 sensor heater circuit"....I don't know, but, depending on the wording, you might just have onem shorted sensor wire, and a dead fuse.

Need more info. Also, a pro smoke test is highly recommended as the first step in chasing mixture codes.
    So I've gotten the fuse issue settled. I was able to get ISTA installed and I'm left with.

P0171
    P0174

There are other codes but these these are causing check engine light.

These seem to point to a vacuum leak from what I've been reading. Anyone know how much resistance my MAF should have? I believe i was getting somewhere around 16 when I checked it.

The CCV seems to be working. I can take off oil cap and get light suction that is not too strong. That leaves the DISA which I plan to pull this afternoon. I was going to check the boot that attaches to the MAF and airflow box. Anyone else have any ideas on what can cause thses codes.

Thanks in advance

Joe
    Last edited by watchursix; 03-18-2019 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    smoke test for vacuum leaks

- - - Updated - - -

at idle what is your MAF reporting in airflow (g/s)?

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    I can't see how four sensors would be faulty at the same time. It has to be another cause, IMO probably related to a vacuum or exhaust leak.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    330xi
    I'm gonna have it smoke tested Friday. I don't see any visual signs of damage but that doesn't mean there isn't a vacuum leak. I'm leaning toward an exhaust or fuel pressure problem.

Do these cars have fuel filters? Please excuse my ignorance, as this is the first BMW or car for that matter I've worked on.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    wow - all over the place.....

yes, this car (2005 330xi) will have a fuel filter. it is located under the car, under the driver's seat area. there will be (or should be) a protective plate covering it. it's a maintenance item at somewhere around 60-100k or so depending on who you ask...

let's stick with testing to build data before we go all over the place with parts.....

My Cars
    330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    wow - all over the place.....

yes, this car (2005 330xi) will have a fuel filter. it is located under the car, under the driver's seat area. there will be (or should be) a protective plate covering it. it's a maintenance item at somewhere around 60-100k or so depending on who you ask...

let's stick with testing to build data before we go all over the place with parts.....
    Lol. Yeah, I'm gonna see how the smoke test does and go from there. The car has other issues my brother didn't bother to check for before he bought it. Can only work one at a time though.

Thanks for help so far. I'll update in Friday

My Cars
    330xi
    Had the smoke test done and no leaks were found. I'm going to start on fuel system testing today.

These are the code descriptions from ISTA+

Activation, ignition, cylinder 1 through 6

Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded
    Fuel trim bank 2, permissible range exceeded