Thread: EGR Cooler Recall 18V755

My Cars
    2014 535d

EGR Cooler Recall 18V755

Greetings,

I'm sure there are numerous posts regarding the EGR Cooler Recall (18V755) and would like to add:

Here's a link to SaferCar.gov Recall Documents for 18V755.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...55&docType=RCL

The site contains not only detailed information from BMW on the recall but also contains a full set of instructions on the remedy...including color photos of the process.

Personal experience:

My 2014 535d is at a local BMW dealer now awaiting their analysis. I have continued to loose coolant over the last six months and there are NO signs of a leak. I requested they comply with the BMW Safety Recall 18V755.

Found out the dealer has not even purchased the borescope needed to make the evaluation for the Safety Recall. So they decided to put the vehicle under an overnight 'pressure test' according to the service rep, and found no leakage...even though the vehicle was found to be low on coolant two times in the last six months. Now they're telling me since there's no leak, the EGR cooler is not the problem. Go figure.

The local service rep stated there may be an issue with a valve in the coolant overflow tank or a possible vacuum lock in the pressurized system.

I'm doubtful of their troubleshooting given they haven't taken the time to acquire the Borescope (thru BMW) to properly comply with a mandated safety recall and their overflow tank and vacuum lock comments are sketchy at best.

Hopefully the dealer and BMW N/A will do the right thing and conform with the entire recall process.

On a positive note the dealer put me in a loaner!

Also I've contacted BMW N/A and requested additional support. The Service Rep was very courteous and confirmed a BMW N/A representative would be in contact to assist. More to follow...

My Cars
    If they don't have the proper tool to do the job, then they can't do the job properly. Find a new dealership. The recall involves removing certain parts, taking pictures with the boroscope, and sending them to BMW for analysis, along with your complaint of losing coolant. If I were you, every time my low coolant light came on, I would go to the dealership, have it documented with a key reader, and repair order for proof. We do that when customer's have oil consumption complaints. You then have a leg to stand on with BMW, and proof that you're losing coolant. Don't just top it off yourself. Make them do it to show that you're not going away.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Hard to believe they don't have a bore scope, but it is the dealer

My Cars
    Is it a small dealership? We are on the larger side, and we have several. BMW will actually pay for one Snap-On Boroscope as per the recall, for each dealership.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2014 535d
    White/JC: Your feedback is appreciated!

After placing a number of additional calls to the dealer I was told the inspection would be done in accordance with the current BMW TIS Service Bulletin. Not sure where or when they found a borescope but I believe that BMWNA is supporting the inspection in some way.

More to follow once the inspection is complete.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    unfortunately, the recall is in a holding pattern because of (I assume) a short supply of replacement parts. And the borescope is a $1,000+ purchase, so for a small dealer, purchasing a tool that can't really even be used to perform a repair yet doesn't make financial sense. BMW will reimburse them for the scope, but not until they submit a claim for the recall. And at this point, only in-stock vehicles are allowed to be inspected unless the Area Aftersales Manager gets involved.

FYI, the recall requires a borescope with a right angle (90˚) camera lens, so not just a regular scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    I would find a different dealer, but I don't know if any of them have much experience with this. I posted this to another forum, but this is my recent experience. I'm still in limbo on mine, but I'm hoping BMW figures this out and makes it right. Here was my post...

I have an interesting bit of data to add to this. I have a 2014 328d that’s no longer under warranty with a slow coolant leak that I’ve noticed since last year. I first noticed it when the coolant light came on, and I had to top of the reservoir. Since then, I have had to add either EG mix or distilled water to the reservoir every few thousand miles. I learned about the recall right before I had an issue with mine. So, here’s the saga.

I was driving the car to work when the EML came on. I don’t live far from the local BMW dealership (Beaumont), and it was a quick drive in. So, I left it with them. They diagnosed the problem pretty quick as an EGR failure and a melted intake. Here’s where it gets odd. They immediately stated that the EGR cooler could not have had anything to do with it because the boroscope images of my cooler look like the “normal” sooty condition in their guidance from the BMW technical staff. So, they gave me the repair bill (~$3k), and said it would not be covered under the recall. I can’t imagine BMW would want me to perform all of this work, and then put the cooler back on the car, knowing there is a leaking coolant problem with no obvious signs of leaking coolant, and the car just recently had a melted intake. So, then the BMW team later came back and said although the cooler is “normal,” I need to go ahead and change it. Lol…wth? When I asked the dealership what they were talking about, I then asked the simple question. Has the cooler failed or not? They literally gave me two different answers for the same question. So, the repair bill is up to nearly $5k even before they get into it. They also have not performed any troubleshooting on where the leaking coolant is actually going. It’s just comical at this point, because I can swap the intake and change the parts myself. The care is still with them now for over 3 weeks.

So, I’m wondering my next steps. I have not logged anything with the NHTSA or anything like that. I’ve been cool with everyone, and the case is still open. I believe my case is one where I can help others on the forum, if nothing else but a data point. The parts from my car can be a forensic piece of data, as I’m really beginning to wonder if BMW fully understands how to diagnose the problem. The root cause is a mechanical failure of the cooler, but the deciding factor for recall claims is a very subjective image of the fins on a cooler based on sludge build-up. I think BMW may be realizing these coolers can fail and not exhibit the subjective levels they are showing from their “normal” images. Hence, I believe BMW would like to get my likely defective parts off the car whether either I or they pay for the replacement.

So, that's my ongoing sage. I would definitely not let the coolant keep leaking over time. It's quite possible mine was leaking slowly over time, and not really collecting the boroscope images they assume everyone will see.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    Oh well, I received a call back from BMW NA today, and they said they talked to the engineering team, and they stated that carbon buildup caused the failure of the EGR system, which includes the cooler, valve, and intake. They still haven't figured out why the coolant has been leaking since last year, and they haven't discussed if any excess carbon is related to the failed cooler. They are still with a denial to claim any of this under recall, and they stand behind their statement that the cooler needs to be changed. I'm disappointed in BMW at this point, and I have another '18 diesel X5. Loyalty has not been a factor in anything to date. I am still asking to escalate this to another level, and I would like to directly talk with someone technical. I also asked them to put in writing if the cooler is bad or not. They are saying it is bad, but they are saying they won't cover it under recall. I'll post when I hear more.
    Last edited by Newgene; 04-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Ask to see the photos of the EGR cooler inlet and outlet. Determining whether or not there is a leak is not possible without a visual inspection. Dry soot means no leak. Sludgey soot means there is. They cannot get a response from Technical condemning or clearing the EGR cooler without photos.

It's unlikely you'll be speaking to anyone from the Technical group. And the RO will state whether or not a leak was found during the inspection. Also, the photos are supposed to be attached to the RO.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 04-18-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    I apologize for the text wall in my first post. They did boroscope the fins as part of the technical guidance from BMW, and the "sooty" photos of my cooler do not look exactly like the gummy photos in the document. They appear closer to the "normal" photos. The document also tells them that the next step is to pull the history of the coolant light, and then perform additional diagnosis because I have let them know that coolant has been leaking for a while. They have not done that, and I have asked. So, I'm trying to figure out if I have a completely different coolant leak and have a good cooler. However, they are stating the cooler absolutely needs to be replaced, and I personally have not been able find the leak with a black light and UV dye being in the system since last year. They are just stating the cooler is bad due to normal sooting, they are not paying for it, it needs to be replaced, and they are saying I have a different coolant leak that they won't troubleshoot unless I add that to the bill. My concern is if you could have a smaller coolant leak than the one in the photos, have a failed cooler, and then get the excessive heat and soot due to the failed cooler. If that is the root cause of my problem, I still feel it should be covered. Is that the wrong school of thought, or is it possible for a completely different failure other than the leaking coolant from the cooler, to cause the cooler to then fail as a result of something else? That is pretty much what they are saying based on the photos. They are stating the cooler has failed due to normal sooting and not due to the root cause of the recall. I'm still trying to figure out if the cooler truly has failed. If it has not actually failed, BMW should stand behind their product and say that it is good to drive with it on the car. However, they are not saying that.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Oh good, so you've seen the photos of your cooler and the reference photos of "good" and "bad" coolers in the SIB. It is possible for the EGR cooler to fail due to excess dry soot, but it usually stems from vehicle that are not driven long distance, which allows the relatively cool soot to gather. If they are just saying that "hey, we already have the cooler pretty much removed from the car, so it'll be real cheap labor to replace the part that we can see is going to fail in the not-too-distant future", then that's not the worst thing they could do. The part is about $500.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    Unfortunately, that's not at all what they are saying. They are saying the cooler looks like a "normal" cooler, but their engineers are saying it needs to come off the car. I am asking why I can't put it back on and drive off, but they are not really jumping at answering that question. They are quoting $417.05 part, $1,024.93 labor, and $118.96 tax. The total cost to swap out the "normal" cooler is $1,560.94, and they are already in there changing the intake.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The intake replacement is part of the recall only when the cooler is replaced. If the cooler doesn't need to be replaced, then neither does the intake. So why are they replacing the intake if they don't need to replace the cooler for the recall?

This whole situation sucks. And sounds shady AF.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    Yep. They are going around in a circle. My main two questions to them are 1.) Has the cooler failed or not, and 2.) Where is my coolant going? I believe they all pretty much know the cooler is likely leaking at whatever rate. It may actually be too slow of a leak to really gum up the fins, but I can't find my leak with a black light. I have a 2-post lift in my garage, and I can't find it. I do get some powdery white residue on the tail pipe, but man it's not really much to call anything. I also don't know what happens to the dye when it combusts. When these parts come off the car, I suspect, we will be able to see dye in places it shouldn't. But then, how do I get BMW to reimburse any expenses to a 3rd party shop. It's going to be messy in that scenario.

In the end, I keep reminding them that their story makes absolutely no sense. I know their engineers and legal team must be concerned with a car from a customer who is stating it has a coolant leak (there is dye thoroughly through all of the coolant system), and the intake has now melted. If they would answer the question on the cooler (clear repair report says to replace the cooler), it should guide their decision. If the cooler has failed, I'm not sure why BMW is debating it. There really is no way they can tell it has failed though, if they are saying the photos are good. They have really done no other testing. If they say the cooler is good, I should be on the hook to pay for the intake and the new EGR valve, and then they should have no concern letting me drive off, and then giving me a warranty on all the new parts. After all, if the cooler is good, it won't cause the new parts to fail. This seems simple, but they are surely spinning around a little bit.
    Last edited by Newgene; 04-18-2019 at 04:55 PM.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    The intake replacement is part of the recall only when the cooler is replaced. If the cooler doesn't need to be replaced, then neither does the intake. So why are they replacing the intake if they don't need to replace the cooler for the recall?

This whole situation sucks. And sounds shady AF.
    I missed your question when I first posted. The intake is being replaced because it did burn with the failure. That's what made me bring it in.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I'd love to see the pics of the cooler, or be able to access the TSARA case they submitted.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    Here is a picture of my cooler, and then the good and bad images from BMW. I see build-up on the fins, but they consider it normal. The car is leaking coolant slowly. I believe the BMW photos should be used as an indicator, but in this case they are using it as a go/no-go to tell if the cooler is leaking, but there is likely a very high probability mine is leaking. They just don't seem to have a method to determine it. Heck, they could probably test mine destructively since I have UV dye in the system, and they may gain more insight into the problem for the many other cars on the road in the same situation.

- - - Updated - - -

BMW's good and bad guidance

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    BMW needs to post photos of more heavily-clogged "dry" coolers, and photos of coolers that are leaking, but not so much as the ones they show.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    So, BMW has agreed to cover this. I'm really glad to see that because none of this was making sense. I'll keep everyone posted. So far, they have agreed to cover it verbally (both from BMW NA and the local Beaumont dealership). However, the part (EGR cooler) is on backorder per the dealership. I'm in no rush, but it's around 2 months already. I just asked them last week to put the battery on a tender, and the service rep said they would. If it gets fixed, I'm satisfied. I don't have an ETA, but it looks like it should all get resolved.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    Just an update. BMW took care of mine. They actually covered it under warranty, even though it had 100k miles on it. To them, it seemed to make sense to cover it under warranty over recall, but either way, they fixed it for me. I also left the car there a few months, which gave them plenty of time to go over options. They changed the manifold and new EGR valve/cooler.

My Cars
    2014 535d
    The local dealership finally complied with the recall and now 4000 miles later the engine light came on and the dealership says it's an 'EGR problem'. They want over $600 to run a diagnostics 'smoke' test to determine the cause of the issue. Not happy at all and would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem after having the recall completed. Thanks!

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    Quote Originally Posted by 323CiTX View Post
    The local dealership finally complied with the recall and now 4000 miles later the engine light came on and the dealership says it's an 'EGR problem'. They want over $600 to run a diagnostics 'smoke' test to determine the cause of the issue. Not happy at all and would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem after having the recall completed. Thanks!
    Did they not give you a 12 month/12k mile warranty on the new valve and cooler? You'll probably have to fight a little, but this should be a quick one. If they already know it's EGR related, I can't imagine how they would ask you for $600. If it's an EGR problem, it should have a warranty on the repair work.

My Cars
    2014 535d
    They did not replace the valve/cooler. I was not clear in my earlier post.
    They only inspected and signed off stating it passed BMW's inspection criteria. They want to charge me for the initial 'smoke' inspection then if they believe it's related to the EGR recall they will 'consider' offering a credit for the inspection.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 428i N26
    Did you ever hear back? I’m actually in the same situation and they keep beating around the bush.