Thread: N52 camshaft sensor ring lock tool pin position off by 1 mm

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i

Question N52 camshaft sensor ring lock tool pin position off by 1 mm

I bought a camshaft timing tool kit on EBay for $80. It appeared to be everything it should be (except it lacked the timing chain tensioner). The tool for locking the camshaft in position works perfectly. However, the tool for holding the VANOS camshaft position sensor rings in place when tightening the VANOS main bolts has a problem. It fits perfectly over the valve cover alignment pin, and its other end's hole lines up perfectly with the left-side valve cover bolt hole, and the right-side (intake camshaft) pin fits perfectly into the sensor ring. However, the other pin (exhaust camshaft) is about 1 mm short of the distance it needs to be from the first pin, in order to insert into the exhaust sensor ring's hole.

I've carefully looked at everything, disassembled and reassembled, and I also tried swapping the two sensor rings. Everything seems right, I see no sign of anything being bent or mispositioned. Is it possible the tool was made wrong? It has a spacing between pins of 174mm, while the sensor ring holes are spaced 175mm apart. The camshafts are also 175 mm apart, so it would seem the tool is off. Does anyone have such a tool that they can measure?

I'm also concerned about the height of the pins above the surface of the head. The exhaust pin is lower than the intake pin. One would think they would be at the same height. Furthermore, before disassembling, I marked the position of the sensor rings on the VANOS units, and position of VANOS units on the timing chain, and when I put it back together in that position, the sensor ring holes are maybe 1/4" ABOVE the pins on the tool. Could the timing chain have slipped one tooth on the crankshaft while I had it disassembled, or is chain locked in position on the crankshaft sprocket by the chain guide? Maybe the VANOS timing was not set properly before? Or, is it possible that the tool I have has the pins in the wrong position? If someone has one of these, can you also tell me the height of the pins above the bottom surface of the tool?

Ted
    Last edited by tedt; 03-14-2019 at 12:12 AM.