Thread: 2016 320i CPO - First oil change at dealership - oil type and quantity answered!

My Cars
    2016 BMW 320i

2016 320i CPO - First oil change at dealership - oil type and quantity answered!

Want to share my experience with the BMW dealership on my first oil change service...

After much debate, having every intention of changing the oil and filter myself, I decided to return to the dealership where I bought the car 3+ months ago.
    I've researched many avenues as to the brand, weight, quantity, etc, of oil and filter to use with no clear cut answer.

A co-worker advised letting the dealership handle all of the required/scheduled maintenance since the car is under the CPO (certified pre-owned) warranty.
    (And this isn't a bad idea, although I've never let anyone do routine maintenance on any of my vehicles.)

I had put 6500+ miles on my 2016 320i when I received a call from the dealership, saying my car needed oil service. Apparently they "ping" your car and see the feedback indicating what service may be required. I had been researching on here and other places deciding what filter, oil type, brand and qty to use, and finally decided to make an appointment and not worry about the inflated cost that I would incur.

The Pirelli run flat tires (new when I purchased the car) also had about 7000 miles on them, and I was thinking they could use a front to back normal rotation. However, as I drove into the "bay", a color graph was created of the tread wear, indicating all 4 were about equal, and no change was recommended. (I'm still tempted to do it myself soon.)

They took multiple pictures all the way around my car, and protected the floor and steering wheel (and maybe seat?) as soon as I got out.
    I was excited to ask as many questions as possible and learn all I could, as these guys deal with the cars and service all day every day.

Quick to hone in on the oil type, the service rep produced an empty bottle of BMW Performance oil, stating they use 0w-30, and it was actually Castrol.
    I mentioned my car stated 0w-20 on a sticker under the hood, and showed him when I asked. He said they had a variety of different weights and would use what was factory recommended.

(From everything I read, I was leaning toward 5w-30, and would have bought the new Pennzoil Pure Platinum Plus had I done it myself.)

They actually did wind up using 0w-20, and after declining the 3 additives to the oil and fuel ($73 extra), the cost was $155 and some change.
    They checked the alignment, brake pads, rotors, (not removing any tires or putting on a machine), and a 5 mile joy (safety ride).

Further inquiry finally revealed the answer I've been seeking all year, 5 liters is the right quantity, or 5.28 quarts. (Not an X drive.)
    Still not sure of what oil had been used to date (with the previous lease owner-oil service), but we can assume the 0w-20 until proven otherwise.

The car will be 3 years old next month, and BMW recommends a brake fluid flush/change at 3 years. This I was told will be $181 for the service.
    Not sure if this is important, and if it has any effect on the warranty coverage.

VERY happy with the car, the performance, just awesome.

A little paranoid the oil had been 5w-30 until now, as the temp is running around 230 degrees, and I was thinking it hovered around 210 previously.
    I also live in the hot, humid south, and was leaning toward the 5w-30.

Gas mileage tends to average around 35 mpg in comfort mode, and 40 mpg in ECO. Very nice.

Any feedback / questions appreciated!!!
    Last edited by zookid; 03-13-2019 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    You definitely want to do the brake fluid flush, especially living in a humid climate. BMW used to be on a 2-year schedule, so don't put it off.
    The weight is much less important than it used to be; I would probably go with 5w-30 also, even in cool Seattle. Good job declining additives. If you feel like fuel additive (all additives pretty useless in these DI engines), buy a 6-pack of Techron from Costco - it's the same product that BMW sells for 3 times the price.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 320i
    Thanks for the reply floydr, and the advice on the brake fluid. I was actually contemplating letting it ride a bit longer. (Never really heard of a brake fluid flush on other makes and models (non-BMW)). But I'm new to the scene. Regarding the additives, glad you agree, although I feel like I paid for them anyway. I went in blind without knowing any cost, and the guy first said $160 before mentioning the additives. I politely declined and 2 hours later paid $155. After leaving, I received an email from the same guy, and a 5 page PDF from the mechanic that did the actual service. Interestingly, there was a page with 2 line items, an alignment check for 37.50, and an oil and filter change for 75.00, and total of $129 and some change. (I later emailed the guy pointing this out and he quickly replied very bluntly that the alignment check was no charge and he did not know what the $75 was for).

Regardless, I feel like a received a fair value for the service and checks rendered, and will probably return at least while the CPO warranty is in effect (2 years approximately.). I may change my own oil, following the item numbers on the invoice the filter was easy to find, but the oil part number given is for some item that cost less than a dollar. Thanks again!

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Zookid, the low number is only important when the engine is cold (lower is better), and if you're worried about high temp oil viscosity use a 0w40, or a 5w40.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 320i
    Thanks for the reply marvinstockman, and the advice. I did confirm with the dealership that 0w-20 is all the car has ever seen, so I am content to stick with it.
    Especially after my morning commute, first time I went 50 miles in "sport mode" all the way, and pushing it pretty good the whole time running 70-80 mph.
    The temp stayed moderate, the car purred like a kitten, and averaged just over 34 mpg to boot. Can't ask for more.