Thread: N54 Air Compressor Pulley, Trying to Source

My Cars
    335i E93 N54

Exclamation N54 Air Compressor Pulley, Trying to Source

Hi all,

I've been digging for days without luck, so thought I'd write here.
    Has anyone found the Pulley (with electromagnetic clutch) for the Air Conditioning Compressor?

Per RealOEM.com, there is 1 PN for the Compressor and it comes with the Pulley. Pricey when it's just a Pulley issue.

I've read through a few forums, googled and watch youtube videos without luck for this model. (2008 335i, N54, E9x)

Thanks for any help!!

My Cars
    BMW e90, 2006 , m47
    Hey, i have some problem too with A/C , my does some noise , like something without oil , i don't know how to explain that, but is doing noise , i was at mechanic and he say to me : is bearing problem , our A/C is without cluch as i know , so pulley work all time . This bearing is 9 € and he can be changed , how ... i don't know yet. I'm waiting for summer to change it , is not a big noise , a little I can hear that just when i'm in front on my car ( M47, e90, 2006) . I hope it help you
    P.S : I watched everywhere without luck too.
    And the mechanic who I mention repair just bmw's. So i think he know about that problem.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G965F folosind Tapatalk
    Last edited by vilcan.alex98; 03-13-2019 at 12:25 PM.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes2 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been digging for days without luck, so thought I'd write here.
    Has anyone found the Pulley (with electromagnetic clutch) for the Air Conditioning Compressor?

Per RealOEM.com, there is 1 PN for the Compressor and it comes with the Pulley. Pricey when it's just a Pulley issue.

I've read through a few forums, googled and watch youtube videos without luck for this model. (2008 335i, N54, E9x)

Thanks for any help!!
    E90s don't use a clutched compressor. What exactly is your problem?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Exactly

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
    E90s don't use a clutched compressor. What exactly is your problem?

First, Thanks all for the feedback.

Truth be told, I'm trying to determine if there is a problem, however I have little data on the A/C Pulley.

History: I shredded my serpentine belt after doing about 5 back to back flat out pulls (testing some new installs).

Objective: Find all (even potentially) contributing factors.

- Crank Pulley seal is OK, so no belt in engine.
    - Alternator Pulley Clutch was seized (is supposed to be one-way, as the new one is). Special tool to remove stripped the 12 splines, so replaced entire alternator (was original).
    - Power Steering Pulley is OK and is not hitting the frame (and no bolts loose) when engine is under full torque (engine mounts appear OK)
    - Idler Pulleys all spin freely
    - Tensioner is strong

It's possible it was strictly the Alternator Pulley Clutch that caused the belt to jump when slamming gears (forced instant RPM drop from 7000 to 4500~ and the alternator momentum w/ no free-wheel clutch would have pulled tighter on one side of the belt and created a small slack on the other side until the alternator dropped to match the RMP (likely 200 to 700 ms, though I really don't know)).

In turning the Air Compressor Pulley it feels like the motor inside is turning too.
    I speculated (haven't yet found definitive information) that it should be free from the motor until the A/C is turned on.
    Much of what I read suggest there is an electromagnetic clutch that engages when the A/C is on.

Should I expect the A/C Pulley to be turning the pump? (it is not bearing resistance in my case, and not lumpy, just a smooth resistance in both directions)

I'm very open to being schooled here

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Thanks relative4

Based on this - I think the Clutch parts that I see in the pictures of the A/C Pulley have nothing to do with the Stop/Start of the compressor, but rather are the equivalent to the one 1-way clutch in the Alternator Pulley, allowing the compressor to turn at a different rate than the belt briefly when the RPM drops instantly from 7000 to 4500~ when racing. (allows the compressor to spin down to the speed of the belt during a sudden speed change)

This image is based on the Real OEM PN 64526956719
    Attached Images Attached Images