RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Steering column making whale sounds

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4

Steering column making whale sounds

Hi all,
    04-z4 with 50k
    developed intermittent whine when turning steering wheel. Seems to happen at the same spot and heard usually at low speed. Also doesn’t occur all the time.
    had heard mention of greasing the rack under the rubber boot as well as spraying lube under the seal where column meets the steering box.
    do these sound like appropriate remedies and if so can I get specifics , pics would be even better.
    thanks so much for the help.
    ken,
    canada

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I’d start at checking the level of the power steering fluid.

Edit: not familiar with your car at all, but I assume that the dipstick for it is attached to the underside of the filler cap.
    Last edited by 323i E30; 03-13-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: additional
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    I’d start at checking the level of the power steering fluid.

Edit: not familiar with your car at all, but I assume that the dipstick for it is attached to the underside of the filler cap.
    Yep, a starving pump makes noises that could be compared to "whale sounds".

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1; that's certainly the place to start.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4
    Wow!
    Fluids fine as is pressure in all four tires, washer fluids good too!
    Thanks for the help.....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    We don't know you, weeboy. You've got just one post.

We are going to always start with the most common items first. If you had already checked the fluid level, you could have said so. Instead, you told us that your steering makes "whale noises" at low speeds, What would you have told your girlfriend if she said that? You'd have said "check the fluid".

You want something better? Give better info.

Your title says "steering COLUMN" makes whale sounds... which isn't the most likely suspect for whale sounds...whatever that means. "Seems to happen at the same spot" doesn't help, if you don't tell us WHAT SPOT.

There are bearings in the steering column...maybe you can tell what area of the column the noise comes from.

There's actually a service bulletin for the lower steering shaft, but not because it makes noise.

GIGO

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    We don't know you, weeboy. You've got just one post.

We are going to always start with the most common items first. If you had already checked the fluid level, you could have said so. Instead, you told us that your steering makes "whale noises" at low speeds, What would you have told your girlfriend if she said that? You'd have said "check the fluid".

You want something better? Give better info.

Your title says "steering COLUMN" makes whale sounds... which isn't the most likely suspect for whale sounds...whatever that means. "Seems to happen at the same spot" doesn't help, if you don't tell us WHAT SPOT.

There are bearings in the steering column...maybe you can tell what area of the column the noise comes from.

There's actually a service bulletin for the lower steering shaft, but not because it makes noise.

GIGO
    My appologies, but I actually thought my description was pretty accurate without getting long winded. The whale sound referral was actually exactly what it sounds like.
    There is a youtube video of a z4 making the exact noise, which is where i saw the remedy I mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBNHeymKHpY
    Steering is not affected. from inside seems like noise is right behind steering wheel, but from under the hood it seems like its lower down between u-joint and steering box.
    and again isnt happening all the time.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by weeboy1 View Post
    Wow!
    Fluids fine as is pressure in all four tires, washer fluids good too!
    Thanks for the help.....
    So, if the pump isn't starving(could still be cavitating) and the only clue is "whale sounds" emanating from the steering column I would suggest that you entirely dismantle the steering column, inspect all the parts, lubricate and re-assemble. You can then post again about resetting the SRS light.
    OR, you could ask Siri
    Last edited by ross1; 03-14-2019 at 09:22 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thank you, weeboy, for understanding the difficulty of on-line diagnosis.

Try this: Get a can of Deep Creep, PB Blaster, Wurth HKS+, or even the lowly WD-40, and spray the hell out of the u-joints of the lower steering column. They are, as I recall, reasonably easy to access from above, with the hood open. If the noise goes away after five minutes of driving and perhaps an additional spray, you need to replace the lower steering column. It's easy, and there's even a service bulletin somewhere referring to this. However, the issue isn't usually noise...but we find clues wherever they are.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Thank you, weeboy, for understanding the difficulty of on-line diagnosis.

Try this: Get a can of Deep Creep, PB Blaster, Wurth HKS+, or even the lowly WD-40, and spray the hell out of the u-joints of the lower steering column. They are, as I recall, reasonably easy to access from above, with the hood open. If the noise goes away after five minutes of driving and perhaps an additional spray, you need to replace the lower steering column. It's easy, and there's even a service bulletin somewhere referring to this. However, the issue isn't usually noise...but we find clues wherever they are.
    much appreciated, thank you
    car still hibernating but will get on it soon

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Here's one Service Bulletin related to steering column noises for your car:

SI B 32 17 08
    Steering and Wheel Alignment

February 2010
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B32 17 08 dated December 2008.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    Rubbing and/or Scraping Noise from the Steering Column

MODEL
    E46 (3 Series)
    E53 (X5)
    E60 (5 Series)
    E61 (5 Series)
    E63, E64 (6 Series)
    E65, E66 (7 Series)
    E70 (X5)
    E71 (X6)
    E82, E88 (1 Series)
    E83 (X3)
    E85, E86 (Z4)
    E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series)

SITUATION

The customer may report a rubbing or scraping noise, which occurs when turning the steering wheel from left to right. While there are a number of components which can cause this type of noise, this bulletin is specifically related to those noises which occur directly at the steering shaft.

CAUSE

This type of noise can be caused by the following:

^Contact between the pinion shaft dust cover and the steering gear

^Insufficient lubrication of the bulkhead seal for the steering shaft

CORRECTION

Isolate the source of the noise, using a stethoscope or other suitable listening device. If the noise is coming from the steering shaft, then the pinion shaft duct cover should be checked, and the steering shaft seal should be lubricated.

PROCEDURE

Locate the source of the noise, using a stethoscope or other listening device. If the noise is coming from the steering shaft area, proceed as follows:

Open In New Tab
    Zoom/Print

1. Using a pry bar or other suitable tool, push up slightly on the pinion shaft dust cover (1) while someone turns the steering wheel. If the noise changes or is eliminated, proceed to step 2. If the noise does not change, proceed to step 5.

2. Loosen the securing bolt (2) on the steering coupler.

3. Push the dust cap up to eliminate contact between the cap and the steering gear.

4. Refer to the Tightening Torque section of the Repair Manual for torque values and requirements for bolt replacement. Tighten the securing bolt (2).

5. Lubricate the steering shaft slip ring (1) by spraying Wurthreg; Multi Lube 350 onto the steering shaft from the engine compartment side. Turn the steering wheel from left to right to distribute the lubricant. Please note that it is not necessary to remove the steering shaft.

Open In New Tab
    Zoom/Print

6. Remove the trim panel above the brake and accelerator pedals; refer to Repair Instruction RA 51 45 185 "Removing and installing/replacing trim for pedal assembly".

7. Lubricate the steering shaft slip ring (1) by spraying Wurthreg; Multi Lube 350 onto the steering shaft from the passenger compartment side. Turn the steering wheel from left to right to distribute the lubricant.

8. Refit the trim panel.

Here's the other one:

SI B 32 03 06
    Steering and Wheel Alignment

January 2006
    Technical Service

SUBJECT
    Lower Steering Column Noise

MODEL
    E85 (Z4) produced before 1/06

SITUATION

Customer may hear a hard cracking noise from the lower steering column area when turning the steering wheel at full-lock position.

CAUSE

The lower steering column may have an insufficient clamping force.

CORRECTION

In case of a customer complaint, replace the lower steering column and the clamping screws.

PROCEDURE

1. Do not replace the whole steering column and/or steering gear.

2. Replace the lower steering column joint assembly per Repair Instructions RA 32 31 070.

3. Replace the two clamping screws and torque them to 30 Nm.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4
    Thank you Chris!
    Much appreciated.