Thread: Question re replacing control arms

My Cars
    '98 323i E46 (Auto, RHD)

Question re replacing control arms

Hi,

I have a 1998 323i - I took to a mechanic to have the front control arms replaced. When it was returned to me, it was obvious the car was very high and wheels would get stuck on end of range turns.

I took it to another mechanic who happened to inspect the car a week prior, who said that the shock absorbers were incorrectly installed (too high up in the clamp). Now, he also says they were not like this when he looked at it a week before.

The steering definitely wasn't a problem before having the control arms replaced. I spoke to the mechanic who replaced the control arms he says "1000%" they did not touch the shock absorbers. He says perhaps the control arms he used are a slightly different shape and combined with the shocks problem it's causing the steering problems.

I personally don't believe the mechanic who replaced the control arms, however I've watched videos of the procedure and it does not seem to require changing the shock absorbers.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how this might have come about? My two theories are: 1) His shop assistant did unclamp the shocks and reclamp them and didn't tell the boss; 2) For some reason unknown to me they changed the shocks. The current ones are Bilsteins which he was at pains to point out, could they have wanted whatever was on there for some reason? I will ask the past owner if he remembers the car having Bilsteins.

Many thanks for your views

My Cars
    99 M3

Question re replacing control arms

A 1998 323 is an E36 or E46?

Quote Originally Posted by edd91 View Post
    When it was returned to me, it was obvious the car was very high and wheels would get stuck on end of range turns.
    This sounds like an E46 issue, seems like the shocks could be lowered into the spindles and re-clamped.

What do you mean by ‘get stuck’?

Do you have a photo of the Forward Lower Control Arms?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 03-19-2019 at 09:53 AM.

My Cars
    '98 323i E46 (Auto, RHD)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    A 1998 323 is an E36 or E46?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi, it's an E46.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Then add the E46 to your profile, and RHD, automatic yes/no, helps us to help you
    My Cars: 1998 BMW 323
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '98 323i E46 (Auto, RHD)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Then add the E46 to your profile, and RHD, automatic yes/no, helps us to help you
    Thanks for the suggestion I have done this

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E46 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    He may have installed the bushings upside down. Look under the car at the point where the bracket contacts the frame rail. There shouldn't be any space, the flat part of the mounting ear should lay flat on the frame rail. If it looks like the bracket is perched on top of 2 posts, they're on upside down.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Any update on this?
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Have you checked that the strut is properly seated in the knuckle? There is a notch and slot and you can loosen the bolt, rotate the strut and it should engage the slot and go further into the knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by edd91 View Post
    Hi,

I have a 1998 323i - I took to a mechanic to have the front control arms replaced. When it was returned to me, it was obvious the car was very high and wheels would get stuck on end of range turns.

I took it to another mechanic who happened to inspect the car a week prior, who said that the shock absorbers were incorrectly installed (too high up in the clamp). Now, he also says they were not like this when he looked at it a week before.

The steering definitely wasn't a problem before having the control arms replaced. I spoke to the mechanic who replaced the control arms he says "1000%" they did not touch the shock absorbers. He says perhaps the control arms he used are a slightly different shape and combined with the shocks problem it's causing the steering problems.

I personally don't believe the mechanic who replaced the control arms, however I've watched videos of the procedure and it does not seem to require changing the shock absorbers.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how this might have come about? My two theories are: 1) His shop assistant did unclamp the shocks and reclamp them and didn't tell the boss; 2) For some reason unknown to me they changed the shocks. The current ones are Bilsteins which he was at pains to point out, could they have wanted whatever was on there for some reason? I will ask the past owner if he remembers the car having Bilsteins.

Many thanks for your views

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by harrier View Post
    Have you checked that the strut is properly seated in the knuckle? There is a notch and slot and you can loosen the bolt, rotate the strut and it should engage the slot and go further into the knuckle
    If the shop removed the strut from the knuckle to replace control arms, he seriously needs to find a new shop.