Thread: What did i break

My Cars
    M30 E30, 540i6 E34

What did i break

Daily driving a manual for 18 years. e36-e30-540i6. Normally pretty good at taking off without dumping it too hard but I had a little road rage going on (probably a Prius?) and dumped it in first while moving and heard a loud clunk. Happens now when I get on it from a dig, only then not while shifting in any other gears but launching in first.

Been taking it easy since then but a sweet e38 with a 4.6 swap rolled up to me last night and couldn't help myself. Yup, the clunk is still there, yes I searched, easy to diagnose? Appreciate the response, tired of going to my mechanic chasing fixes and blowing money (I'm inept at wrenching).

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    I had such a thing and when I was replacing struts with Koni sports the shop called and said they looked short... that they would likely hop inside the tube.... I wondered if this was it .. do you have other than Original strut inserts ? maybe when the rear squats on hard launches the front end hops and what you're hearing it the insert hitting the bump stop

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Is the clunk from front or rear? Do you get it if going in reverse?

Immediate thoughts from front to rear are tranny mounts, giubo, csb, driveshaft cv joint, loose diff bolts (happened to me on the weekend), subframe bushes, cv axles, and finally failing diff. All are fairly easy to check if you can get the car up on a lift.

My Cars
    M30 E30, 540i6 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    Is the clunk from front or rear? Do you get it if going in reverse?

Immediate thoughts from front to rear are tranny mounts, giubo, csb, driveshaft cv joint, loose diff bolts (happened to me on the weekend), subframe bushes, cv axles, and finally failing diff. All are fairly easy to check if you can get the car up on a lift.
    Thanks guys. clunk is near the transmission. Haven't noticed it in reverse. I'll get it up on the rack and have them check that stuff out. Car has 262k and runs amazing despite my abuse.
    Last edited by wannaBMthree; 03-12-2019 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    A single clunk or a series of them? One I'd suspect the trans mounts, a series of thumps in that area would have me examining the driveshaft center bearing support.
    See what happens when you beat on an old car

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    My post a few days ago is below. I suspect your giubo or trans mounts. Crawl underneath and inspect both.

CSB vibrates when loaded at ~40-60kph long before any noise.
    Subframe mounts are a heavy *thump* you can feel, and often comes with rear-end wander.
    Giubo (not guibo) at the front of the driveshaft makes a medium-pitched clunk and may or may not vibrate.
    CV joints can rumble and vibrate, and if flexed enough (rare in RWD use, common in FWD) will make click/pop noises.
    Diff bushings aren't common failure items but I would imagine a medium-heavy clunk.
    Rear subframe center mount is also uncommon and I would expect a heavy thump.
    Driveshaft pilot bushing wears out and can cause vibrations, but never a noise IME.

Reminds me of a sign that my former shop had:

Labor Rates:

Squeak-squeak.......... $50
    Click-click-click.......... $125
    Click-click-clank......... $150
    Clunk-clunk-thump...... $180
    Whirrrrrr .................. $200
    Hiss-sputter-cough.... $300
    Thump-thump-thud.... $450
    Bang-bang-bang........ $600
    (Silence) ................. $1000
    BOOM ..................... $Sit down first