Thread: Steering column question

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe

Steering column question

Hey, I have been looking at this problem for a minute now, and can't really find any info on it. So, it is probably obvious, and I am missing something...

So, I am trying to get rid of the ignition switch on the steering column, but the bearing that centers the steering shaft inside the tube is part of the switch assembly. So it looks like I need to just cut the switch off the housing, since I need to keep the rest of it to use to keep the bearing. Any other way to get this done? Can I just pop the bearing out, and get rid of the housing?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    97 M3, 12 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
    Hey, I have been looking at this problem for a minute now, and can't really find any info on it. So, it is probably obvious, and I am missing something...

So, I am trying to get rid of the ignition switch on the steering column, but the bearing that centers the steering shaft inside the tube is part of the switch assembly. So it looks like I need to just cut the switch off the housing, since I need to keep the rest of it to use to keep the bearing. Any other way to get this done? Can I just pop the bearing out, and get rid of the housing?

Thanks in advance.
    I was planning on gutting my stock column (similar to what you are doing), but found out the hard way that the entire aluminum piece at the end contains the bearing for the front of the column.

I ended up installing a Sweet column, came with a very high quality quick release for like 269. I wanted to upgrade the steering shaft anyway, so ended up doing it at the same time. For the shaft I used Sweet's upper u joint, and flaming river lower.

Column was a few lbs lighter but nowhere near what others had claimed. Factory was a bit over 12lb, this Sweet is a bit over 4.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Thanks man. We may have to do that in the future, but we have to be on track in 6 weeks, so probably won’t have time right now. Plus$. Hoping there was an easy tip for this, but with all the views, and no responses, I am guessing not.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    You didnt say what kind of car we are talking about but on my E30 I simply sectioned off the part I needed to hold the bearing and did away with all the rest.
    I used a band saw and in a few minutes it was done. On the E30 the only part you "need" is about the front portion that is the depth of the steering column bearing.
    I sliced away all the rest, set the bearing on the steering column and then bolted on the adapter. Works perfectly.

There is a couple pictures of what I did on my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPe72qBN_U/
    Maybe those will be helpful.
    Last edited by jimmypet; 03-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    It is Z3 coupe (2001). Not sure if the steering column is E36 or E46. I ended up figuring it out. I got rid of the whole housing because I broke it. But, I got the bearing out, and it was roughly the same size as the tube. I have a welder...
    IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    I did keep the aluminum keeper ring, but since the bearing is further back than it used to be, the snap ring can't keep the keeper ring in place, so I just put a couple of globs of weld on the steering shaft to keep it where it needs to be. Actually kinda happy with how it turned out. Considering I was going to chop up the housing and keep all of that other stuff on the column, this ended up being very clean, and feels nice and solid.

Thanks for the replys