Thread: Where to get silicone intake boots?

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i

Where to get silicone intake boots?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find much for E46s. I remember mishimoto used to make silicone intake boots but they stopped producing those. Would I have to measure my throttle body and just get a generic silicone boot? I don't like how the M54 manifold placed the throttle body so low but I don't know if that'll be an issue since you can make the intercooler piping work with how you need it to be.

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    I just bought mishimoto a couple of months ago, so they can still be found.
    As mentioned in other threads, you're not likely to find much for e46s here, best to stick to e46fanatics over there.

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ba114 View Post
    I just bought mishimoto a couple of months ago, so they can still be found.
    As mentioned in other threads, you're not likely to find much for e46s here, best to stick to e46fanatics over there.
    I know but I find bimmerforums to include a lot more experienced members with forced induction. I was hoping maybe someone may know where I can even get it custom made

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Maybe shoot NickG of Technique Tuning an email. He might still be selling turbo kits/parts.

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by IR M5 View Post
    Maybe shoot NickG of Technique Tuning an email. He might still be selling turbo kits/parts.
    This is why I prefer bimmerforums for FI
    I'll shoot him a message

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=17p...fHEg85OLGUnEad

I ended up getting this off ebay and it worked pretty well https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-inch-76-m...53.m2749.l2649

- - - Updated - - -

I have a quick question though. Is the f-connector able to see boost? I was planning on just making a small hole in the boot and jb-welding the f-connector inside it.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    You can't use JB weld on a flexible silicone boot. For one, it's flexible... for another silicone doesn't stick to very much.

General safe rule is if it doesn't connect after the throttle body where there's vacuum then it shouldn't see boost. The IAC only slightly breaks the rule since it connects before AND after the throttle body and should be left in that configuration or else it will be a boost leak.
    Last edited by somebody5788; 03-24-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    You can't use JB weld on a flexible silicone boot. For one, it's flexible... for another silicone doesn't stick to very much.

General safe rule is if it doesn't connect after the throttle body where there's vacuum then it shouldn't see boost. The IAC only slightly breaks the rule since it connects before AND after the throttle body and should be left in that configuration or else it will be a boost leak.
    Thanks for the reply. I will be deleting the ICV as I've been told many times that it can get stuck open under boost. This silicone boot isn't super flexible but I understand the point you're making. I will try to find something that will stick.
    Will the check valve that I'm looking for be one for vacuum to air or something? I'm not sure what the term is if there isn't vacuum and it isn't boost. Atmospheric pressure?

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    just plug the F connector. Find another manifold source for the line to the FPR.

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    It isn't just the fpr, the brake booster connects to it too

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I will be deleting the ICV as I've been told many times that it can get stuck open under boost. This silicone boot isn't super flexible but I understand the point you're making. I will try to find something that will stick.
    Will the check valve that I'm looking for be one for vacuum to air or something? I'm not sure what the term is if there isn't vacuum and it isn't boost. Atmospheric pressure?
    I don't know who told you they get stuck open from boost but it's totally false I don't suggest removing it. The valve will have more pressure on it at idle due to the vacuum on one side and atmospheric pressure on the other that it's more like running 20 or more psi at idle and when in boost the pressure is even on both sides of it so it's like running nothing.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    I don't know who told you they get stuck open from boost but it's totally false I don't suggest removing it. The valve will have more pressure on it at idle due to the vacuum on one side and atmospheric pressure on the other that it's more like running 20 or more psi at idle and when in boost the pressure is even on both sides of it so it's like running nothing.
    Ah I see. I was told by two fellow boosted E46 owners and Alexander Hopwood from Hopwood motorsports. I already figured out how to do my ICV delete so that really isn't a big deal anymore. My question remains for the check valve. I think this may work http://www.siliconeintakes.com/liqui...d--p-9582.html

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    It isn't just the fpr, the brake booster connects to it too
    there's no issues with plugging it. Have done so myself

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    If you want silicone that is aesthetically pleasing, check out this UK vendor. https://www.performancesiliconehoses...-hoses-9-c.asp

Fairly expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Here's what I ended up coming up with and in theory it should work out well - The bungs are a makeshift F-connector for the fuel filter and brake booster hoses
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=771739&d=1554313172

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Ah I see. I was told by two fellow boosted E46 owners and Alexander Hopwood from Hopwood motorsports. I already figured out how to do my ICV delete so that really isn't a big deal anymore. My question remains for the check valve. I think this may work http://www.siliconeintakes.com/liqui...d--p-9582.html
    You could run into stalling issues without it

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    You could run into stalling issues without it
    If the DME isn't tuned for it, right?
    Here's what my reference point is https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title...l_Valve_Delete

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    If the DME isn't tuned for it, right?
    Here's what my reference point is https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title...l_Valve_Delete
    Tuning for it is a bandage. It "works" but it's not the correct way to do it.

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Tuning for it is a bandage. It "works" but it's not the correct way to do it.
    You give out great advice, so I will be listening to you. It seems like I'll have to do something similar to how I did for my f connectors? Have a bung welded on and find a fitting that would be the right size for the icv. It would have to be silicone, right?

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Here's the new setup:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_tH...ew?usp=sharing
    The dual sided fitting is the new "F-connector" and the other barb is for the ICV