Thread: E36 coupe, both power windows not working.

My Cars
    318i

E36 coupe, both power windows not working.

My daughter bought a 1998 E36 coupe and both power windows are not operating, neither via the switches nor when you open/close the doors (in coupes and convertibles, when you open/close the doors, the windows go down/up about 5mm).

I tested the relay, that works OK on the bench. The relay has power at the control pin and load input pin. I just cannot hear it operating when we press the window switches.
    I tested the window switches and they both work OK. The night-time LED on the switches also works fine. My daughter suspects the door motors to be faulty although everyone is suggesting that it is the regulators which are the cause of the issue- not sure what they mean by that.

Here is the wiring diagram for this scenario- I cannot figger out what is going on with the door motors? There seems to be a switch with a pulse symbol and I don't know what that is/does?

Image 16.pngImage 17.png

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    start with fuses. Since you do not have the door open drop there is a reason the motors are not receiving the signal. To test the motor at the motor. 1 plug, 2 fat wires. Apply power to one and ground to the other to go up. reverse for down. I doubt both motors are bad at the same time. it's not the regulators (the mechanical structure driven by the motors that moves the windows up and down). Could be the comfort close module that is behind the glovebox but start with the easy stuff.

My Cars
    318i
    So we checked the fuses and the specific relay and they look OK. We then did as you suggested and applied power to the motor on the door and it went up and down according to the polarity applied which is a great help knowing that at least the motor is working.

My daughter acquired another equipment module which is a "high-can" version as opposed to the one already in the car which is a "low-can" version, but that did not work either so I'm going to trace all wires back to the plugs on the module to make sure there is a connection. I'm a bit uncertain as to the 2nd connector on the motors, which to me seem to be possibly feedback from limit switches in the assembly (?). I have tried bypassing the window switches in the center console, bypassing the limit switches in the door motor, but I still cannot understand how it can be the module.

My Cars
    318i
    We found the issue! The control module "A104 BODY ELECTRONICS CONTROL MODULE (ZKE IV)" has a part in Central Locking, Power Windows, Convertible Top, Crash Control, Sunroof etc, and the main control items in the BECM come in thru different fuses. It just happens that fuse 14 which feeds the power windows was not supplying power to the module and we found that there was a break in the power wire from fuse 14 to the module, so we ran another cable and joined it up where the original was and it fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help on this.