Thread: Noob... Transfer case fluid change??

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i

Noob... Transfer case fluid change??

Wanting to do my transfer case fluid swap. But I heard that the adaptation needs to be reset? I don't have a scanner other than just a obd. Will it make a difference or would I have to take to the "Stealer" to have it done?? Hopefully someone on here done it before

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by rene0900 View Post
    Wanting to do my transfer case fluid swap. But I heard that the adaptation needs to be reset? I don't have a scanner other than just a obd. Will it make a difference or would I have to take to the "Stealer" to have it done?? Hopefully someone on here done it before

2005 BMW X3 3.0i

My Cars
    2006 X3, 95 TSI AWD
    You would need to download some of the dealer software floating around the internet. I think INPA can do it. It was difficult for me to get running but once it's running it's easy to use. I have changed my transfer case fluid without resetting and personally didnt have any problems... (insert disclaimer here) I eventually did reset them anyway.
    Last edited by Stephen95tsiawd; 03-11-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: another thought

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen95tsiawd View Post
    You would need to download some of the dealer software floating around the internet. I think INPA can do it. It was difficult for me to get running but once it's running it's easy to use. I have changed my transfer case fluid without resetting and personally didnt have any problems... (insert disclaimer here) I eventually did reset them anyway.
    Guessing I need a fancy laptop and obd cable

My Cars
    2006 X3, 95 TSI AWD
    What's funny is you actually need an unfancy laptop and a chinese made bmw usb obd cable that's very cheap.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen95tsiawd View Post
    What's funny is you actually need an unfancy laptop and a chinese made bmw usb obd cable that's very cheap.
    Thanks bro. Bought the car used and don't know if the previous owner did anything maintenance. I have parts ordered for it, transmission filter and diff fluid. Going to chance it and use the max life ATF since none in town have the correct ATF fluid

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    When I changed my fluid, I couldn't find anything in INPA to do the reset. I did the adaptations reset with DIS (GT1), which one can make work with the same cheap cable. However, the program itself is not quite so easy to install or run.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    Thanks guys, could you tell me where I can find a good one? I checked eBay and Amazon and get flooded by different types. BMW sort of new to me, more experience with LR

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M Sport
    Like Stephen, I changed out the fluid without resetting adaptations about 6 weeks ago. My symptoms (kind of a shudder when coming to a stop, turning at slow speeds) went away. I'm only relaying my experience, not suggesting you do the same. Understand the manual says that you "will" screw up your transfer case unless you reset, but BMW also says their transmission fluid is good for the vehicle's lifetime. Apples and oranges, perhaps. If I had the right computer equipment, I would have reset. My (flawed) reasoning is that even though I drained the old stuff out, there is residual that will mix with the new and so it's not like I'm "shocking" the system with the viscosity difference. And after 6 weeks of varied driving with no issues, the adaptation is happening/has happened as it's supposed to.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    Been driving it with out rest. Still driving good if not better. I did purchase a c310+ scan tool to reset, but gave me error message. Not sure I'd it's the device that's not good ( it does read pcodes) or there's something going on with communication with transfer case.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    INPA doesn't do the adaptation reset for the transfer case. I bought the Foxwell NT520 to do my e83 T-Case. Good hand held scanner. Kind of a hand held INPA/DIS just not as intuitive. But well worth the $150! Better than going to the dealer..