Thread: 4x4, ABS, Brake Light and Transfer Case Actuator Gear Driving Question

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3

4x4, ABS, Brake Light and Transfer Case Actuator Gear Driving Question

As with almost every owner of an older automatic X3, I had the triad of lights come on the other day and heard the clicking noise when I shut off the engine as a result of a faulty Transfer Case Actuator Motor (TCAM) plastic gear failing. Unfortunately I will not have time to replace the plastic gear and prefer to not take it to a repair shop, which would charge me about upwards of 1,000 for a ten dollar item (or rent a car).

I was curious as to if it is safe to disable the system temporarily by unplugging the connection to the TCAM and making it a rear wheel drive for at least the next couple of weeks. I live in Seattle and we are not expected to have another SnowMageddon anytime soon. The daytime Temps will be climbing into the high 60's early next week.

I have not found a lot of information on the drivability of the vehicle with the TCAM disabled, or driven with it engaged.
    Does having it disabled, or still driving it enabled cause any long term damage?
    I did find one thread that stated it will function as a rear wheel drive but to be a bit cautious due to the ABS being disabled and it is funner to drive because it is more like a rear wheel drive.

In the short term driving I have done, it appears that mileage has increased slightly.

I won't be able to fix it for a couple of weeks (hopefully two weekends from now) but a good link for those that will need to do the repair. It would be nice if we had the option to go between rear wheel drive and AWD, but that could be just more things that can go wrong.

The best video I found on replacing the plastic gear, links to the upgraded carbon fiber reinforced gear and tools are in the video.
    E53 X5 E83 X3 BMW Transfer Case Actuator Motor Gear Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR7Vv5SQvDc

Smile Make My Day

My Cars
    2006 X3, 95 TSI AWD
    Whenever I come up with one of these decisions i consider the "average" owner. The guy or gal that we all know. The kind of person who drives a car with every light on the dash blinking for years on end.

I had a wheel sensor go on me about 1000 miles from home. I wasn't going to stop my trip or get soaked a few hundred dollars for a 30$ wheel sensor so I drove that sucker home with no problems. During that time the awd was obviously disengaged. Upon getting home and diagnosing it took me about another week to get it handled. Drove the car in that time with no problems and that was about 4 years ago and my awd system is still in perfect working condition.

People probably drive like this for years, I'm sure your car will survive it's 2 weeks.