Thread: What batteries is everyone using?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

What batteries is everyone using?

My battery is totally dead and unsavable. I’m considering a small lithium battery, but I also am considering simply a smaller battery to fit in a battery box in the stock location. I’ve heard of people using Miata batteries in their e36’s, but will a Miata battery turn over an m54b30 reliably? What kind of cranking amps do I really need?

Personal experience is much appreciated!
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm cheap. I got a bunch of stock batteries lying around from the many cars I've scrapped.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    LS E46
    I have odyssey 925’s in 2 of my cars. Starts my LS really nice, even when it’s 20deg outside. Both are like 3 years old now.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    I have odyssey 925’s in 2 of my cars. Starts my LS really nice, even when it’s 20deg outside. Both are like 3 years old now.
    Sweet, those look pretty affordable. Do you have yours in the stock battery location? I’ll have to take measurements later this week and see if it’ll fix in a cheap box/ in my battery area.

My Cars
    LS E46
    I did but I recommend moving it up next to the shock tower. I had a pretty massive run-in with a wall and it shorted out for a split second - but somehow managed to shear the sheet metal and it survived. I had to cut the compartment open from the outside and pull it from the side of the car. Battery is perfectly fine and I’m still using it, btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Liquidity; 03-11-2019 at 10:25 PM.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    I did but I recommend moving it up next to the shock tower. I had a pretty massive run-in with a wall and it shorted out for a split second - but somehow managed to shear the sheet metal and it survived. I had to cut the compartment open from the outside and pull it from the side of the car. Battery is perfectly fine and I’m still using it, btw.
    Holy crap, I never considered that it's at the point of impact for a hard wall tap. Thank's for the heads up. Thinking further about it, Maybe I'll actually pull the cables sometime and run it to a battery box right behind the passenger seat. No rear seats or rear interior in my car, so it's really just storage space. Bolt the box down to the floor pan, and it'd be in a pretty safe, accessible location as long as it's in a good battery box.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I got put a optima red top in mine, wanted the gel core for crashes. CCA is enough for LS with 10.3:1 compression.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Holy crap, I never considered that it's at the point of impact for a hard wall tap. Thank's for the heads up. Thinking further about it, Maybe I'll actually pull the cables sometime and run it to a battery box right behind the passenger seat. No rear seats or rear interior in my car, so it's really just storage space. Bolt the box down to the floor pan, and it'd be in a pretty safe, accessible location as long as it's in a good battery box.
    Myself and 2 others locally have had the same problem, the stock location is pretty terrible if you're going to be running walls. That's also exactly where we put them. There's a sealed Taylor box that fits great there and just fits a miata battery.