Thread: Fan not blowing air

My Cars
    2010 750li, 2001 740i

Fan not blowing air

Hello, I got in my 2010 750li today only to find out the fan does not seem to be blowing air. I do not hear any audible noise, defrost does not work, nor does AC. Could this be the result of a low voltage battery, or is the blower motor just burned out?
    Thank you

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Well if it's like every BMW make I would check the final stage and fuses how old is your battery

My Cars
    2010 750li, 2001 740i
    Would the final stage be picked up by a BMW scanner (at shop) or would I have to physically check it? Battery is over a year old, which is why I was curious. On my e38 low batteries really make the car act up.

My Cars
    Most likely you'll have to check it. I don't know if/how it is monitored by the IHKA.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    My 2011 750il is doing almost same thing. Blower is making bad noise and not blowing air like it should. It makes grinding noise, sometimes its fast and slow. And air does not comes from vent. The buttons display correct fan settings, but no air. Sounds like fan stops and runs. Runs slow and fast sometimes. I am thinking about removing the housing from engine compartment and checking the blower motor for trash. Rear controls are working fine and blows air like it should, Anyone who has accomplished this or has gone through same situation? It is very hot in Oklahoma.

Thanks

My Cars
    Yes, I've done a million blower motors in F01/2 vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I've done a million blower motors in F01/2 vehicles. You'll probably need to replace the "cover with coarse filter" as BMW calls it. The mesh screen deteriorates and allows leaves and debris into the blower motor.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    Thanks. I will update. Planning to accomplish this on Saturday.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    Project did not go very well. Got the blower motor out. One of two carbon brush stem is broken. And bearing was making noise. The wire mesh was in good shape only dirty. I will be needing a new Motor. Called BMW and they quoted me $382.00 for the motor. So this has to wait till I find an after market motor.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Autozone stocks them in their hubs, can have one to you tomorrow. $180 for a VDO, $120 for some brand I've never heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    I got blower motor changed. AC ran good for a week. I have major issue with vents. Air blows through them for few minutes and cycle back to some unknown setting, blower is blowing full blast but no air coming from front vents. I tried cycle through various settings no help. I cycle the AC compressor button, it starts coming from vents for maybe minute to half minute then reverts back to seems like under the dash somewhere. If I keep cycling the switch it makes the air comes out from vents. switch turns AC compressor goes off, air starts blowing from vents, i turn the compressor on it goes back to down in under dash. Any help or tip to get it straight will be appreciated. Its 98 and climbing.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Are you using the AUTO setting?

Turn that off first.

If that's not it, the symptoms you describe sound like a frozen-up evaporator, but normally it takes 30 minutes or more of use before that happens.

Otherwise, the IHKA may be fried.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    i have tried every which way. Turn the auto off, tried with Max setting, on A, B, Manual Mode and Auto. Seems like it is out of Sync and goes to some mode where Air does not come out of vents. Very frustrating. IHKA will fry all of sudden? I was looking online, they dont look like very expensive. Changing will be challenge without breaking anything. All the cosmetic stuff.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    I have been watching my AC unit. If temperature is below 85 it works fine, when its real hot or above 85 it reverts to bottom mode, Air not coming out of vents but fan is blowing full blast. I have tried to run it in Auto as well as in manual mode. I try to keep it in manaul mode when intial start. I recycle the AC compressor button to on and off. When I turn the Compressor off and blower is still running, Air starts blowing from vents, after 10-15 seconds of AC compressor button pressed to turn the compressor back on, Air quits from vents and redirected somewhere else. I keep cycling the button to keep car cool or reach my destination. Whith compressor button off Air starts coming from vents, with button on after 10-15 seconds its redirected, till i re-cycle the button again. On cooler days it works fine. Has anyone come accross this situation and what was the fix. Changing the controller?
    Thanks

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by naqvi View Post
    I have been watching my AC unit. If temperature is below 85 it works fine, when its real hot or above 85 it reverts to bottom mode, Air not coming out of vents but fan is blowing full blast. I have tried to run it in Auto as well as in manual mode. I try to keep it in manaul mode when intial start. I recycle the AC compressor button to on and off. When I turn the Compressor off and blower is still running, Air starts blowing from vents, after 10-15 seconds of AC compressor button pressed to turn the compressor back on, Air quits from vents and redirected somewhere else. I keep cycling the button to keep car cool or reach my destination. Whith compressor button off Air starts coming from vents, with button on after 10-15 seconds its redirected, till i re-cycle the button again. On cooler days it works fine. Has anyone come accross this situation and what was the fix. Changing the controller?
    Thanks
    Probably. But reading the faults is where I would start. And see where that leads.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    How would I read the faults. There is no error code showing on display. Is there AC interrogation mode I can go on by initializing certain buttons. I can do that on my Lexus, by prseeing Recirc and AC button makes the AC system go in self diagnostice. It cycles through and shows display on control panel, if there are any codes. Otherwise it cycles through and I can turn the diagnostics off.
    For sure I have determined, if temperature is below 85 it runs fine, anything over 86... 96 it reverts to off from vents and somewhere else in bottom. I keep turning AC button on and off to bring back to vents. I calculated the time it stays on vent level, almost 20 seconds, I manually turn AC activation button off and turn it back on right away, the air reverts back to vent for 20 seconds again. The cycling continues till get to my destination.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Go to a dealer or an independent shop that specializes in BMWs and have them connect the vehicle to a testing machine to read out the faults that are stored.