Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Caliper question...

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Paint Done.jpg
    They are packed away for the moment whilst I get the funds to rebuild them (Its not allot) so probably a few weeks or so. Working on multiple aspects of the car right now so this is sort of a side project, but I wanted to show you guys how they turned out.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quick Caliper question...

Looks good!!

You do know the “M” stripe colors and history, correct?

Pantone:
    Blue — Pantone Process Blue
    Purple — Pantone 268
    Red — Pantone Warm Red

Paint:
    blue violett GLASURIT-BMW 4000
    light blue GLASURIT-BMW 5002
    red GLASURIT-BMW 353

RGB:
    Blue — 0 138 201 (Hex: 008AC9)
    Purple — 43 17 90 (Hex: 2B115A)
    Red — 241 26 34 (Hex: F11A22)

Pantone = color process (order) used by printing shops to define colors.

Paint = in this case it is refering to a GLASURIT paint code. Or a specific mix of auto paints.

RGB = Red, Green, Blue. The same process your computer monitor or TV uses to make colors

https://www.bmwblog.com/2009/04/13/h...ors-explained/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 03-20-2019 at 06:01 AM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Everyone does the blue purple red... I wanted to do something else. I like the OE stripes but my cars is not an M3 anyway so I am not too concerned about it. Not really a 325is anymore either now that it has an OBD1 M52 with parts off an S50 (No cams yet) and M50. still got the Getrag G260, but I may upgrade to a six speed in the future. Going to have M3 brakes on 325is OE M-sport spring and hubs, and I am planning an E30 front end conversion... I gues its just a 3 Series at this point. Its just going to end up being a mash of parts... I need to start building a reference list so I don't screw myself order replacement parts later...
    Last edited by FiberFast; 03-20-2019 at 10:45 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    I am planning an E30 front end conversion....
    What is this?

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I am planning to chop my fender corners and install e30 style lights and grill. I have a thread getting into it. Its going to take a minute as I am still sorting the mechanical issues. I think I am rounding the corner on that though and soon I can start dealing with the exterior of the car. Paint and clear is pealing and faded, not spraying clear again, single stage for life...

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Real quick thoughts, I haven't gotten a look at it (yet) but I am concerned that I may need to grind on the trailing arm near the next to the caliper bracket mounting bolt. The 325is rear disc is 280mm (Unsure of thickness) the M3 rear disc is 315x20mm, so 17.5mm (Roughly 5/8", or 0.6889") difference in mounting points on a side. That is not allot! I hope the mounting holes for the M3 bracket are further apart than the 325 hub. We will see, E-brake shall be retained!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Put a whole M3 rear subframe, suspension, axles and trailing arms under there. It seems like you are building a race car with big wheels and flared fenders. If you are adding some “go” to the show, heavier duty parts would be a good idea. You can find entire M3 rears sometimes for $500-1000.

Here is an old thread with some info:
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...#/topics/28959

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Street car, possibly some auto X. I am not doing an M3 rear conversion because I already have allot of new parts for the 325is rear, would make no sense to toss everything I have and go buy new shit. That being said, I just went out and looked at it. I don't think a bracket is necessary at all. From what I am seeing the M3 caliper bracket has the exact same hole locations as the 325is hub, but it is actually taller to accomidate the difference in disc diameter. If my eyes arent playing tricks on me, an M3 rear caliper, caliper bracket, and disc will bolt straight to a 325is hub. I haven't checked the disc yet but I am willing to bet. You would lose your parking brake, so we are going to do the easiest thing ever and order some custom discs... done. Seriously, I think that's all it is. Now the M3 brake master cylinder and brake booster are something I might be more interested in. The suspension "Upgrades" on an M3 are a moot point once you have installed a bunch of adjustable equipment and my car is always on a budget.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 03-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Confirmed. 325is rear caliper bracket bolt location, and bolts are the same. Meaning, as far as the caliper bracket mounting points, there is absolutely no difference between the M3 rear hub and a 325/328 rear hub. The difference is in the bracket itself, the 325is caliper bracket I measured is 2.125" (Roughly) and the M3 rear caliper bracket stands 3.5" tall, and is also deeper to accept the wider caliper. So there is your difference in disc diameter and width, no bracket required. I'm not sure what the fuck y'all are on about with replacing all this other shit, but the M3 rear brakes will bolt right to your 325/328 rear hub/trailing arm. With the right disc, you could retain your parking brake as well. I'll get right on sourcing/designing that. I am willing to bet after I model it and send to stoptech, they have an off the shelf disc for a whatever the fuck that is exactly what I need.
    Let me say, I have not bolted it on yet... It "looks" that way, and my tape measure and eyeballs say yes. I'll get a pic of it bolted on there if it works.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 03-21-2019 at 04:13 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you can figure out a parking brake solution, maybe you will come up with something that others have not figured out in 20 years. What about a hydraulic parking brake?

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    If you can figure out a parking brake solution, maybe you will come up with something that others have not figured out in 20 years. What about a hydraulic parking brake?
    We gonna find out real soon. What I am speculating is that with the right disc, you could just bolt the M3 rears right on. Now, there is a high probability the EXACT disc I am looking for exists already (Maybe a Porsche disc or Mini) but I will need to spec it. I feel what you are saying about no one else doing this in 20 years... I am sure someone else has... I am so totally confused as to why this wouldn't work other than possibly a custom disc. If that's all it is, I got this, brake manufacturers turn those things all day, probably wont even charge me any more than any other disc.

My Cars
    E36 325is

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think I read of someone bolting the M3 rears on a 325 and removing the inner dust shield and getting rid of the parking brake. Hopefully you can find a way to make it work. Mixing and matching parts is much easier these days than before the internet had so much information.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Bet you can just bolt a M3 rear disc right on there after you hammer the dust shield flat. That is not what I am going to do though. My parking brake is currently fucked off, and I intend to fix that.
    Bolts right on you dingbats.jpg
    Last edited by FiberFast; 03-21-2019 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    But you are not test fitting with the thicker and larger diameter vented rotor. Will that make a difference?

My Cars
    E36 325is
    But you are not test fitting with the thicker and larger diameter vented rotor. Will that make a difference?
    I don't think so, It looks to me like the 325is rotor is about 1-2mm from the back of the caliper. It is possible the disc may not (OE m3 disc) if anyone in the bay area has a spare M3 rear disc I can take a look. aaaand I cant find my 30mm socket anywhere...
    Last edited by FiberFast; 03-22-2019 at 08:31 PM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    I don't think so, It looks to me like the 325is rotor is about 1-2mm from the back of the caliper. It is possible the disc may not (OE m3 disc) if anyone in the bay area has a spare M3 rear disc I can take a look. aaaand I cant find my 30mm socket anywhere...
    So I beat the old dust shield into a new larger and flatter dust shield. Now I can attach my parking brakes and fit a larger caliper... I would show you but my kid dropped my phone in the sink... You win some you lose some. Par for the course, had to buy a new 30mm socket too.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    And you have the vented rotor on there or are you still trying to find one that fits?

My Cars
    E36 325is
    And you have the vented rotor on there or are you still trying to find one that fits?
    I have ordered a set of stoptech sport rear vented rotors to match the fronts I have. Along with all the hardware to rebuild the calipers and some stoptech sport pads. I ordered for a 96 M3 but I think they are all the same after 96 anyways. Now follow my logic here... If a M3 wheel fits on an E36, wouldn't an M3 disc not fit an standard hub? Bet it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Worst case scenario, I have to install M3 rear hubs. If for some reason there is a rotor fitment issue I will use spacers (Washers or machined plates for the hubs to move things as needed) I doubt it though, looks to me like it just bolts right on.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 03-26-2019 at 03:47 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quick Caliper question...

While front wheel bearing/Hub is the same for all E36’s, the rear hub is different for the 1995M3 and-on.
    That said, the wheel interface is the same on the hubs.
    I don’t believe that the rear bearing interface to the Rear Trailing Arm (RTA) is the same - M3 RTA’s vs’ non-M3.
    The M3 Rear Bearing is larger than non-M3, however the wheel interface is the same.

Non-M3 Rear Hub 33411093567
    M3 Rear Hub 33411095774

Sizes in millimeters -
    M3 Rear Bearing 45 X 85,05 X 41
    Non-M3 Bearing 42 X 75 X 37

Last edited by bluptgm3; 03-26-2019 at 05:18 AM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    While front wheel bearing/Hub is the same for all E36’s, the rear hub is different for the 1995M3 and-on.
    That said, the wheel interface is the same on the hubs.
    I don’t believe that the rear bearing interface to the Rear Trailing Arm (RTA) is the same - M3 RTA’s vs’ non-M3.
    The M3 Rear Bearing is larger than non-M3, however the wheel interface is the same.

Non-M3 Rear Hub 33411093567
    M3 Rear Hub 33411095774

Sizes in millimeters -
    M3 Rear Bearing 45 X 85,05 X 41
    Non-M3 Bearing 42 X 75 X 37

Exactly right. So, what I am seeing is worse case scenario I would need an M3 rear hub and custom bearing (Worse case). That would be if for some strange and yet unknown reason I was unable to rectify the offset between the caliper and rotor with shims (If it doesn't line up perfectly, which I think it does.) We will have all the definitive answers shortly.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Almost.jpg
    Brake parts are coming. I need to get the right dust boot kit, the kyb one did not seem to fit correctly. I am inspecting the dust shield to ensure there are no issue with the parking brake after I modified it. I am still looking is over, but I may build a small bracket to go over the void I cut.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    So I am looking at the parking brake problem now. There are two options and I know one will work, not sure about the other. What I am thinking is to have the disc section machined off the old hub and use an equally thick spacer between the caliper bracket and hub to move the caliper out into position. This would also act as a thin wheel spacer. The second option is to order M3 parking brake components and hope the parking brake cable is in the same location on 325/328 trailing arms as it is on the M3 trailing arm. The later is the preferred route, it I do use the stock rotor as a parking brake/spacer I will definitely be uprating the bolts to some arp pieces.

Looks like 6.5mm or 0.25" thick for the old 325is stoptech disc I had. So I would need an appropriately longer bolt (Roughly 1.75") and matching 1/4" thick hardened steel spacers. Not sure how this will effect the brake track (pull left or right) from being pushed out, but we are talking 1/4" on each side... Its not allot.

And then there was option number three. Presented to me by my pops. Use a custom press fit ductile iron ring that fits in the M3 disc and allows you to maintain your 325/328 parking brake. I will make these available to purchase with a disclaimer. Modifying your brakes is inherently dangerous, and while I see no particular reason this component would fail (Its a fucking ring) I also have to cover my ass cause people are stupid af. That being said, this is a simple straight forward solution and I would be happy to guinni pig it. The risks are extremely low in this case as it is a parking brake. Now if you use your parking brake for drifting there could be an issue (Press fit) with the ring spinning inside the rotor. I suppose it could be locktite/jb-welded in as well which may help there.

Image.jpg
    Seems pretty complicated...
    Last edited by FiberFast; 04-01-2019 at 04:26 AM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    How many of you would be interested in a set of these? I am looking at ordering material and its not exactly cheap. This part will allow you to retain your parking brake with a rear M3 brake conversion. All you need are the discs, calipers, and these rings. Note: You will need to modify your original dust cover.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 04-04-2019 at 07:29 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Seems easier to source M3 Trailing Arms and axles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast