Thread: E36 Clutch Height Adjustment

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

E36 Clutch Height Adjustment

I've just joined Bimmerforums, so please excuse any redundancy in my comments and questions. I just bought a '95 M3, and I, too, am puzzled by the amount of clutch pedal travel in this car. Many years ago, I owned a '94 325is, but I don't recall having this issue. At rest, the clutch pedal pad is a good 1"+ higher than the brake pedal pad, but I find the clutch operates smoothly while driving. There does seem to be a lot of extra "free play" travel in the pedal after full clutch engagement, though. Also, the shaft of my car's clutch pedal is the same hollow metal kind (C-shaped cross-section) described above (and in the video), while the brake pedal is a solid metal rod type.

My issue is that I would like to know if the clutch pedal can be adjusted in some way to lower the resting height of the pedal, while still allowing full disengagement and operation of the clutch hydraulics. In looking at the few schematics I've found, I can't see a way to do this. But, from previous comments above, it seems I may have either an incorrect pedal installed (unlikely, as thorough service records were available on the car, and no mention was ever made of any swap to the pedal), or maybe the clutch master cylinder is incorrect? Right now, the position of the clutch pedal related to the brake pedal seems odd, but maybe it is all correct and normal. Can anyone shed a bit more light on these questions for me? (1) Do I have the correct clutch pedal in place (schematic from Real.OEM.com does show the hollow type of pedal shaft), and (2) Is there any way to lower the resting pedal height to better match the height of the brake pedal? I'm 6'4" tall, and I could use just a bit more distance from my hip to the pedal!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Welcome to the forum.

The clutch pedal height isn't adjustable in any way. There should be approximately 1" of free play at the top with almost no resistance. If there's more or less, it's likely a sign of clutch wear, or a hydraulic issue. The clutch generally starts to disengage somewhere around half way, or just above that. It's more likely, I'd think, that the brake pedal is too low.

I checked at realoem, and it looks like the E36 used exactly the same clutch pedal throughout its life.

I don't have an E36 in front of me by which to judge, but my M5's clutch pedal rides 3/4" higher than the brake pedal.

I'm 6'3", and have no issue with pedal heights on the BMWs I've driven, especially since my foot's never above the clutch pedal except when actively shifting. You don't hover, do you? (I have to ask, sorry.)

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thanks for the feedback. I used to own a '94 325is many years ago, and I did not recall having the same disparity in height (i.e. distance from the firewall) between the clutch and brake pedals, so I was hoping there might be some way to lower the clutch pedal a bit, while still preserving full clutch disengagement function. I couldn't see a way of doing that at first glance, but thought it would be worth a question anyway. And no, I don't "hover" my left foot above, or on top of, the clutch pedal while driving, either. But, I do find that I have to flex my knee more than desirable in order to hit the pedal, and that brings it close to the steering wheel rim. I was surprised to learn (again?) that the steering wheel on this M3 is not adjustable in any way, too. Guess I've gotten spoiled by more modern cars that have tilt/telescoping wheels, as that would make the overall seating position in this '95 more comfortable and solid. I'm getting accustomed to it, but it would be ideal to have a shorter "throw" to the clutch, even if it meant higher pedal pressures would be needed. I also guess it makes a LOT of sense to only buy cars after a decent test drive. This was bought long-distance via auction, so that was not possible. The car is a beauty, but it'll just take awhile to get used to everything again.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    WaddsM3, I am in the exact same position (no pun intended), my clutch pedal sits significantly above the brake pedal, which causes all the same problems you listed. I'm 5'8" and it is absolutely awkward transitioning from dead pedal to clutch pedal.

My previous M3 (a 97) did not have this problem. The 98 I have now is as described. There has to be a solution.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo2020 View Post
    There has to be a solution.
    There's nothing you can adjust there.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    You could try removing the assist spring in the clutch pedal. I prefer mine with it in place, but I've had it break and have driven with it "gone" for a few weeks and can see how it might be somewhat common for cars to have it removed.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.