Thread: Tire opinions, looking for new nice sticky sport tires

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert

Tire opinions, looking for new nice sticky sport tires

I had Potenzas when I got the car and was fairly happy with them. The tires I got after were basically garbage so I am curious if anyone has experience with a newer set of tires. Any brand really.

My Cars
    2001 BMW z3 3.0
    just get the michelins. Dont bother with toyo or continental or any other large brands. I’ve had the best all brands offer and noone touches michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 5sp
    and go ahead and get the all season Pilot Sports while you're at it. The rubber compound makes them still super when the temps get below 40 F. I've run them now on 4 cars, including the Z3.
    ‘98 Z3 2.8 roadster, Montrealblau/tan 5sp, M50 manifold, AFE intake, SuperSprint catback, Bilsteins, BAVAuto sport springs, Style 42 BBS

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    My vote is for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They seem to be about the best performance street tires you can get, and they come in Z3 sizes now (they didn't at first).

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I always look at the reviews and tests on Tirerack.com

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well, I am not clear on what model Z3 you have, which makes a difference. Also, the following makes a difference: What are your expected driving habits? Summer only? Wet/dry or dry only? How many miles a year? Budget? Spirited driving or cruising around? How many miles do you expect/want out of a tire?

I drive a supercharged '98 M Roadster about 2-3k a season, only on warm sunny days with no more than a 10% chance of rain; I don't care what tires cost; I drive the car basically for fun only, mostly cruising around, but with bouts of very spirited driving as well when the opportunity presents itself. I do not expect more than 12k miles or so out of a tire. I am currently a few seasons into Hancook RS3v2's, and I love them. When it's time to replace them, I will go with the RS4. I have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's on my '98 Viper (they are the only tires made for it), and they are fine, but I like the Hancooks better and feel more secure on them--maybe that's because I feel more secure in the ///M, as the Viper is no where near as refined, but tires make a difference too.
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 03-09-2019 at 07:21 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Indy 500 are my go-to "good" tire. They grip really really well
    I use Riken Raptor ZR A/S on my other cars, good for donuts and burnouts, grip fairly well too in the dry

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    I always look at the reviews and tests on Tirerack.com
    I like the Tire Rack search and find. It may not find your exact size you want but it sure is a nice quick way to find potential tires. It did give me the last tire search sizes, I had picked for my car, and I picked summer only.
    I searched several times and changed up the wants from one to the other extreme.
    It gives you your rainfall stats. The "wants"are displayed in a least to most important, in 5 levels
    Wet road handling
    Dry road handling
    Ride comfort
    Wear
    Price
    A realistic wants of good wet, best dry, some comfort, reasonable wear and who cares price got me the same three tires even if I changed things up a lot.
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - - - - - - - - - -Rated at 9.6 dry
    Pirelli P Zero Nero GT - - - - - - - - - - Rated at 9.1 dry - - These are great deal for the price but the 4S will probably win out.
    Continental Extremeconta CT Sport - Rated at 9.1 dry
    If I toss everything except dry handling I get
    Hankook Ventus R-S4 - - - - - - - -Rated at 9.1 dry
    Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R - - - -Rated at 9.6 dry

You can see the rest here: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...ion_guide.html
    Last edited by catimann; 03-18-2019 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    1978 530i, 2005 X3 3.0
    Hey Mr Bingley, your purchase criteria identical to mine for my 98 M roadster.
    8 yrs later. What are you running on?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdorvee View Post
    Hey Mr Bingley, your purchase criteria identical to mine for my 98 M roadster.
    8 yrs later. What are you running on?
    Hancook RS-3's--they're up to the RS-4's now. I can't imagine a better tire for my use and will replace with the RS-4 when the time comes.

My Cars
    99 z3 2.8L
    Just chiming in that I went blindly into the General (which is owned by Continental) G-Max RS and their first attempt at a UHP Summer tire. The stock sizing of 225/50/16 had all four for $314 and $384 after mounting and balancing. The price is what got me since I was planning to get (and now have ordered) an aftermarket set wrapped in the michilen ps4s tires.

The Generals have been able to handle anything so far, but I don't push them too hard. I just needed a tire that wasn't 9 years old and dry rotting.
    Last edited by sijray21; 04-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.