Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Advise - could this be wet sanded?

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '13 335ix

Advise - could this be wet sanded?

I've got about 5 spots on my car like this one. This damage was from the previous owner, I suspect it's from bird crap. Compound and polish would not remove it. Do you think it is wet-sand able or am i looking at a respray in order to correct?

20180520_163418.jpg

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    I'm no expert but I'm thinking it looks like clear coat failure so wet sanding may not help at all.
    If it is clearcoat failure, wet sanding isn't going to damage it any more than it is so you can give it a try and see what anything improves.
    Is that Montreal Blue?

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '13 335ix
    Thanks John. I'll give it a try and post results. It's Cosmos Black.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Cosmos Black makes more sense. It's looking sharp in the sig.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    You can try to wet-sand that down to where it's almost invisible, but don't go too aggressive as you may end up causing more damage and exposing the underlying color-coat. Use something like a 2500 grit paper on a medium-density sanding block and hit it a few times. Make sure to feather around the area so you don't leave a dip on the paint when viewing it from an angle.

Use a compound with non-diminishing particles, like Meguiar's M105, D300 or M101 and a microfiber pad to get rid of the sand marks. It may take a pass or 3 to get rid of them completely. Then you want to use a fine polish, like Meguiar's M205 on something like a Lake Country Orange pad (Medium cut) to get rid of the finer scratches and then a finishing polish on a polishing pad. Hit the entire panel with the last 2 steps for consistency across the entire panel, just make sure you have enough paint on the panel to handle at least a single pass of the compound on the entire panel. The sanded area will need 2-3, sometimes more, passes to get rid of the sanding marks entirely.
    2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Prestige and S-Line Package

1990 BMW 325i - Work in progress.

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Quote Originally Posted by adrock2003 View Post
    You can try to wet-sand that down to where it's almost invisible, but don't go too aggressive as you may end up causing more damage and exposing the underlying color-coat. Use something like a 2500 grit paper on a medium-density sanding block and hit it a few times. Make sure to feather around the area so you don't leave a dip on the paint when viewing it from an angle.

Use a compound with non-diminishing particles, like Meguiar's M105, D300 or M101 and a microfiber pad to get rid of the sand marks. It may take a pass or 3 to get rid of them completely. Then you want to use a fine polish, like Meguiar's M205 on something like a Lake Country Orange pad (Medium cut) to get rid of the finer scratches and then a finishing polish on a polishing pad. Hit the entire panel with the last 2 steps for consistency across the entire panel, just make sure you have enough paint on the panel to handle at least a single pass of the compound on the entire panel. The sanded area will need 2-3, sometimes more, passes to get rid of the sanding marks entirely.
    Sorry to hijack, but what is the course of action IF you end up getting down to the colour coat? I went to hardcore with my bigfoot on the fender and went straight through the clear.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Not a pro here, but you can buy reasonable quality clear coat in rattle cans. You'd be better served going to an automotive paint supply store and getting the two component clear. Tape off a reasonable area and reapply the clear, feathering it out as you get away from your damaged area. Then blend in by hand.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and how well it works. Post some pics too.

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    Not a pro here, but you can buy reasonable quality clear coat in rattle cans. You'd be better served going to an automotive paint supply store and getting the two component clear. Tape off a reasonable area and reapply the clear, feathering it out as you get away from your damaged area. Then blend in by hand.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and how well it works. Post some pics too.
    Yeah this guy reckons the 2 component clear too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSIjsUeWZQ

Black would be infinitely harder to work with over silver I guess. My damage area is less smaller than a credit card.

Ah well, more research and such.