Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What do people think about your E39? what do women think?

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    The one day I staid home to wash the bugs off the wagon from a 800 mile road trip! We could have had a wagon parking lot grab.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo8 View Post
    In my particular case I think these cars are still in their sweet spot for their styling. I mean what other 19 year old car can distract people from a 722 edition SLR McLaren (I know my case is different than most because you never see a RHD v8 wagon in the US, especially one that is not 25 years old because of the stupid import rules).
    I'm curious: how is your car legal in the US?

BTW I'm in the DC area too. I haven't been to Katie's since last November, but I'd love to go again soon and meet up with fellow e39 driver's in the area!

My Cars
    2000 EuroSport RHD 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by cpf9 View Post
    I'm curious: how is your car legal in the US?

BTW I'm in the DC area too. I haven't been to Katie's since last November, but I'd love to go again soon and meet up with fellow e39 driver's in the area!

This confuses a lot of people too, and technically my car is 100% legal to own in the US. It falls under the "substantially similar clause" which states as a person who has been transferred to the US for work, such as a diplomat (this was how mine was brought into the US) and as long as this car (model, and engine) was approved for sale in the US, the car must be brought into compliance/compliant in both safety and emissions. However this is a super simplification of this clause and I believe only available to non-US citizens who have been temporarily transferred to the US for work. From my research, my car was allowed to stay in the country because it was in compliance with safety and emissions and it was not a foreign model to the US (having the e39 540i touring approved for sale). The title says 2000 540it, which was available for sale in the US in the year 2000 so as far as your local DMV is concerned you have just bought a 2000 540it. However I did run into a little snag when I went to emissions inspect the car in VA. Since the year place holder on the VIN is a 0 (denoting it is a foreign car) I had to wait a week for a government compliance officer to show up and record the VIN and the emission results. I received an approval letter with his signature and as long as I have the letter I do not have to get another compliance officer involved again in 2 years for the new VA emissions. Of course I had to field 101 questions about the car when the emissions inspector and the government compliance officer showed up because they were as confused as most people when they saw the car.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Well, it’s been getting crazy at Katie’s, the gatherings have been growing larger and larger. Last year, some of my friends with a bunch of right hand drive Japanese import greymarket cars were getting there at 5am just to get a front row spot. Yesterday’s gathering was one of the largest I had ever seen it get. Even the corral where the farmers market folks set up was taken over by the Corvette guys, missed your car Mateo. At one point yesterday, a bunch of kids with Mustangs all souped up started revving the crap out of their engines right in front of the Old Brogue, and we all started yelling at them. These stupid fuxx are all gonna get the Great Falls locals complaining, and one day, enough will be enough. I hope it never happens. I really love the Cars and Coffee event at Katie’s, I very much feel at home in that area, as had I spent many many years as an electrician, building many of those beautiful homes in the Great Falls area from the ground up.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    That's really interesting!

A few years ago in DC I would frequently see a RHD car parked near my house with UK plates still attached (and DC tags covering them). I think it was a Renault Scenic or something. I always assumed it belonged to a diplomat and that there must be some exception to the general rule for embassy workers (although I couldn't fathom why anyone would bother to import such an ordinary econobox!)

Quote Originally Posted by mateo8 View Post
    This confuses a lot of people too, and technically my car is 100% legal to own in the US. It falls under the "substantially similar clause" which states as a person who has been transferred to the US for work, such as a diplomat (this was how mine was brought into the US) and as long as this car (model, and engine) was approved for sale in the US, the car must be brought into compliance/compliant in both safety and emissions. However this is a super simplification of this clause and I believe only available to non-US citizens who have been temporarily transferred to the US for work. From my research, my car was allowed to stay in the country because it was in compliance with safety and emissions and it was not a foreign model to the US (having the e39 540i touring approved for sale). The title says 2000 540it, which was available for sale in the US in the year 2000 so as far as your local DMV is concerned you have just bought a 2000 540it. However I did run into a little snag when I went to emissions inspect the car in VA. Since the year place holder on the VIN is a 0 (denoting it is a foreign car) I had to wait a week for a government compliance officer to show up and record the VIN and the emission results. I received an approval letter with his signature and as long as I have the letter I do not have to get another compliance officer involved again in 2 years for the new VA emissions. Of course I had to field 101 questions about the car when the emissions inspector and the government compliance officer showed up because they were as confused as most people when they saw the car.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by cpf9 View Post
    That's really interesting!

A few years ago in DC I would frequently see a RHD car parked near my house with UK plates still attached (and DC tags covering them). I think it was a Renault Scenic or something. I always assumed it belonged to a diplomat and that there must be some exception to the general rule for embassy workers (although I couldn't fathom why anyone would bother to import such an ordinary econobox!)
    Back when I was a college student at UCI there was a right hand drive 530i manual with mudflaps, 16 inch wheels, and Irish plates that parked in my parking structure near the engineering school. Pretty neat.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetyseven1 View Post
    The main thing i have noticed is people think they can keep up with me, they think my 540i is old or something? I have quite a time especially when my car is not warmed up and im just pulling out of my neighborhood or leaving work to get on the highway. People often ride my ass and smile or laugh. They dont realize im driving a mid 13 second BMW. Yet they would not want to race the Charger R/T Hemi beside me at the red light. What are people thinking? I had a guy in a Pontiac actec mini van looking thing trying to keep up with me when my car wasnt warmed up yet the other day. He was so confident looking that he could keep up with me. I also have the muffler delete so my car is LOUD, sounds like im hitting it hard when im trying to drive softly. It pisses me off.

Actually, strike my previous comment. People probably are laughing at you.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    People in this forum are always laughing at him too, but he never gets it....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    The mechanics that just inspected it liked it.

My Cars
    98 528i 91 318is-S54swap
    My car, much like my motorcycle is fantastic at attracting old dudes and nothing else.

My Cars
    2001 540i
    The checkout aisle at the grocery is full of glossy magazines telling women how to be more attractive. I’ve never seen “buy an e39 and learn to maintain it” as a hot women’s beauty tip, but damn if it wouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Salvage Title 540i
    My build thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...toive-decision

My Cars
    2000 EuroSport RHD 540it
    sadly with the crowd that was at Katies this past Saturday I feel that this will be the summer when it will get shutdown because of the obnoxious revving and fast 0-25 mph people are pulling nowadays when leaving. I have been going to the Old Brogue for years now and even though they do enforce parking with towing, I will have to talk with Ward (the bartender) about if they tow cars that are left because their owners cannot safely drive home from Friday night last call. If not then I will be visiting there ever Friday and leaving my car in the parking lot and coming in the next morning with a friend who lives like 10 min away from that area. I know it is "cheating the system" in terms of when you arrive you get the remaining parking spaces to pick from but I like to park out of the way so I can justify it to myself. I would love to organize a e39 meetup on a specific weekend this summer so we can get a bunch of them parked next to each other, I have loads of questions about US spec cars and compare them to my car

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by de Witt View Post
    Actually, strike my previous comment. People probably are laughing at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    People in this forum are always laughing at him too, but he never gets it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbradley21 View Post
    My car, much like my motorcycle is fantastic at attracting old dudes and nothing else.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    My wife absolutely loves my E39 (its stock, sport). She and I have been together for over 20 years and she's been taught well when it comes to cars =)
    E70 LCI 35d
    E90 LCI 328i xDrive

E39 528i Sport/5
    E28 535is
    E84 X1 35i M Sport package
    E38 740i Sport
    E39 M5 LMB/Blk

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
    My wife absolutely loves my E39 (its stock, sport). She and I have been together for over 20 years and she's been taught well when it comes to cars =)
    well maybe she loves you and she knows you love the car... a good wife will do that. Or the opposite. You know... (24 years into living with the missus here so you know...)
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Got a thumbs up from a Subaru with red mud flaps today. Doesn't get much better than that.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i (Auto)
    Welp, I like our car, my Missus likes it. However, one of our co-workers came out of the business just as I was pulling up to pick up my wife, and she flashed a big, approving smile, two thumbs up, and said "wow, NICE Bimmer. Very nice. I dated a guy with one of those...the Ultimate driving machine.." I grinned and thanked her. She gets it. Actually, and I don't mean to be snotty, but I, we like the car... and that's all I really care about.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone View Post
    Welp, I like our car, my Missus likes it. However, one of our co-workers came out of the business just as I was pulling up to pick up my wife, and she flashed a big, approving smile, two thumbs up, and said "wow, NICE Bimmer. Very nice. I dated a guy with one of those...the Ultimate driving machine.." I grinned and thanked her. She gets it. Actually, and I don't mean to be snotty, but I, we like the car... and that's all I really care about.
    Wait... go back to your co worker. Is she attractive and does she like older men that are gray and a little bald? I don't care if she's married, it's not a deal breaker...
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    Wait... go back to your co worker. Is she attractive and does she like older men that are gray and a little bald? I don't care if she's married, it's not a deal breaker...
    I'm in too. Not for threesomes, tho, just whenever you feel like riding the other machines in your garage ;-)
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i (Auto)
    Now, now gentlemen...

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    The lady friend likes it for the heated seats. That's about the extent of it.

She enjoys the track rat Miata more. Not because racecar or anything to write home about, but because convertible.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Most women don't care about cars, especially what under the hood or all the bells and whistles, its just how fancy it looks, like shoes at the mall. Surprised my wife with a 2012 X5 two Christmases ago, she loved it for about a month, now its just another utility she uses, and tells me to fix it anytime something is not to her liking.

As my kids were growing up they made fun of my BMW fettish, but now that all are driving one they understand. Brainwashing is complete.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234