RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2008 E83 X3 Crankshaft Position Sensor Bolt Hole Stripped

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M Sport

2008 E83 X3 Crankshaft Position Sensor Bolt Hole Stripped

Wife's X3 stumbling, hard to start, stalling. Codes suggest crankshaft position sensor. Decided to try to attack from below vice taking off intake manifold and potentially starter. Got it out ok (certainly not easily though), ordered the replacement sensor, O-ring and new aluminum bolt. Now however, I can't get the bolt to thread into the block. It's a "feel job" with the N52 in that you can't really see where it's going, but I even tried without the sensor installed to see if I can get it to bite. No go. We're the original owners and haven't had to replace it before, so another mechanic couldn't have screwed up the threads. As I had mentioned, getting the bolt out wasn't overly difficult once I was actually able to get the Etorx on the bolt head. I tried coming every possible angle to try to get it to get it started (as my shredded knuckles can attest to), but just can't. I'm going to soak a q-tip in some degreaser and see if I can clean out the threads, but I'm not very optimistic. Has anyone tried to retap the hole? Block is mag/aluminum alloy so I don't think hardness would be an issue so much as the limited space to work.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    Why a new bolt?
    Are you sure it's not your new bolt's fault rather than the hole?
    E36 M3 S50 - E53 X5 M54 - 1980 Porsche 931 - 2001 Impreza RS25

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'd suggest using a flashlight and a mirror-on-a-stick to look at the hole. It's likely that the threads in the block are just fine. I do not recommend using a q-tip, or you'll likely end up with cotton blocking the hole. The hole was protected from dirt and oil by the old bolt, and the sensor.

You can buy a good 2 or 3 inch mirror on a stick at any auto parts store.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie313 View Post
    Why a new bolt?
    Are you sure it's not your new bolt's fault rather than the hole?
    Any aluminum bolt will have to be replace, they are designed for 1 time use only.

OP you can compare the two bolt, if there is some metal shaving on the old bolt threads, then I would say you do have a problem.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M Sport
    No metal shavings on the old bolt, but certainly the threads aren't as sharp as the new one which is probably normal for an aluminum fastener. Went a step beyond the mirror and bought a ryobi inspection camera that connects via wifi (not bluetooth) to my iPhone. Crawled under the car and took a quick look. Seems there is some dark grit on the threads of the hole, so taking Chris' advice, I'm going to use a pipe cleaner vice a q-tip to clean it out and try to get it installed tomorrow. We need this car on the road ASAP so also ordered a hand tap kit as a last resort if my efforts tomorrow fail. Thanks for the advice and input. I'll keep y'all posted.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M Sport
    Well, add me to the chumps that learned the hard way to go with OEM parts vice cheaping out with aftermarket bits to save a buck (or $70). I finally got the aftermarket sensor (Duralast) I bought on at Amazon for $103 installed. Vehicle started, but after a good 3-4 seconds but the dash lights remained (SES, 4x4 and brake). They came back after I cleared them. Frustrated, I rushed to the dealership after confirming they had the part in stock, came back and put it in (still took awhile as it's really challenging to get the bolt, sensor, and hole lined up with out actually seeing it). She started right up and no lights. Yep, I deserve any and all "I told you so's" anyone wants to throw my way.
    Last edited by CW in PB; 03-12-2019 at 10:47 AM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    We all do silly things now and again, but on a German car, if it doesn't sound German, I won't install the part. Durlast is pure junk, and how they are still able to be in business, IDK.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Just a quick note that we do nor appreciate the use of the pejorative "stealership" at this forum. You're impugning literally thousands of honest, straightforward, hard working people, as well as an above-board and honest business.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Just a quick note that we do not appreciate the use of the pejorative "stealership" at this forum. You're impugning literally thousands of honest, straightforward, hard working people, as well as an above-board and honest business.
    yup, it's even mentioned in our rules for the forum and such.....ahh, reading....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M Sport
    I've edited to correct. I had to look up "pejorative" and "impugn", though.

Break...

Shadow,
    I didn't see in the rules where this is specifically mentioned, nor and such. Can you point me to where I can read it?
    Cheers.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thank you, CW !

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M Sport
    Sure. I read the actual rules, but admittedly didn't "read" the "Care and Feeding" sticky.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    We all do silly things now and again, but on a German car, if it doesn't sound German, I won't install the part. Durlast is pure junk, and how they are still able to be in business, IDK.
    Yeah, avoid the chain stores, especially their house brands, not just for German cars.
    Two points I feel compelled to address here;
    1. Many of the um,.. "offshore" cheapo parts makers do their very best to sound German or at least UROpean, they certainly are not.
    2. The notion that only German made parts will do or German brands are inherently superior is absurd.

OP, Rest assured the cheapest stuff will be junk and the higher priced will generally be better.
    What many don't know is that big box retailers mostly sell the same poor quality stuff you'll see on E-bay (at a fraction of the cost) but branded with their name, carrying a much higher price(often more than OE straight from the dealer) and an exchange warranty that won't reimburse you for your wasted time and effort.
    I found your sensor from a few on line BMW dealers selling at around $110 and Siemens/VDO(an OE supplier) at half of that.
    Browsing this and other forums will show you the preferred parts vendors.
    Last edited by ross1; 03-20-2019 at 11:59 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue