Thread: Gas tank is compromised!! :(

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i

Gas tank is compromised!! :(

Yesterday while I was on lunch from work, I ran over to the auto parts store and bought fuel system cleaner, oil stabilizer lubricant, and differential oil. After work, I headed to the gas station and put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and topped off the gas, The immediately after filling the tank, I heard alot of noise(Gas pouring out of from under the car) Ran and grabbed a fire extinguisher from the clerk and waited for my car to catch fire since the gas was pouring directly onto the exhaust. Serioulsy thought my car was done for.
    Today I bought fuel tank repair and am going to figure out wtf and where the hell the leak is coming from. Send good thoughts my way ladies and gentlemen!!

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Been there! Check the fuel lines at the top of the tank running to the right side of the trunk for the breather/evap system. If they’re an off-white braided hose they’re done for. The good news is replacing them is super cheap. Use fuel hose and a brass tee to replace most of them. Robert (Epmedia) has a great guide to fixing these
    -John

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I've been there as well. Was on a road trip, set the pump in and on auto fill, came back to gas pouring out of the car. One of the top hoses had sprung a leak...

My Cars
    1978 320i
    check the internal fuel pump/ sending unit o ring seat for a proper seal. the "special material" ring expands when exposed to gas after installation. if your is ancient, get a new one (plus a back up). it can be a finesse job. good luck.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Me 3 , the top hose connecting the left and right gas tanks, changed it out no problems, need to drain the gas tanks and drop the driver side gas tank to install the hose.

Here is the back end of the evaporation tank side, renewed with hoses and clamps, after this tackled the top hose, where the gas leak was coming from.

The hose long end top of the picture connects to the Y adapter in photos below.

DSCI0063.jpg

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-08-2019 at 11:49 AM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Heres from photos of the job I did. I renewed the bottom hose connecting the two gas tanks as well since I was there and a new y adapter. The cloth hose in pic 2 caused my leak, its was cracked from age.. Replacement hose standard bmw fuel injection hose.

DSCI0236.JPG DSCI0241.JPG DSCI0240.JPG DSCI0237.JPG

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-08-2019 at 11:45 AM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

DSCI0239.jpg The Y adapter--white-new-connects the tops of the left and right fuel tanks and to the plastic tank in the trunk, post # 5, which goes to the front of the car carbon canister to the engine, thus sweeping out gas vapor in the gas tanks to be burned in the motor. Gas tank vapor is pulled there by vacuum of the running motor. Tank in the trunk is connected to the gas filler pipe for additional sweeping out of gas vapor from the tanks. The carbon canister is new as well with new hoses so my evaporation system is "cherry".

I like to make new everything on this car as I go along, its a blast.

John I'll take the crank,pistons, and conrods,, as Art James said " Say When "

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-08-2019 at 12:15 PM.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Somjuan View Post
    Been there! Check the fuel lines at the top of the tank running to the right side of the trunk for the breather/evap system. If they’re an off-white braided hose they’re done for. The good news is replacing them is super cheap. Use fuel hose and a brass tee to replace most of them. Robert (Epmedia) has a great guide to fixing these
    My guide is same as everybody else's... Replace ALL of those hoses and hose pieces

Couple of notes though...
    Randy's pic of the plastic tank: That small piece of hose connects to a *blue? plastic tube. The other end of this plastic tube has a small hose on it that also needs replaced and the passenger side tank needs to be lowered a bit to replace it.

Try to first source new "Y" and "T" fittings because you'll probably break the old one!

Here's the insides of those old hoses, all cracked and leaking. This only shows the "T" fitting, in the trunk. The "Y" fitting is on top of the gas tank.
    click to enlarge
    bad-hoses.jpg

Soapy water leak test (you can see the *blue? plastic tube here.
    click to enlarge
    overflow-hoses.jpg
    Last edited by epmedia; 03-08-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

The top vent hose that connects the two tanks on top runs thru a tunnel to make the connection between the two tanks. Lower slowly the drivers tank(empty) and you'll see whats going on, replace driver side tank top hose with clamp, raise the tank up and feed the secured fuel hose thru the tunnel and bolt in--the hose end will show up in open access plate area to tied in there.

Randy

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Yes, I do believe it is ancient, was sitting for years before I bought it.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    I just have to say - " that UNTIL this happens to you - you are not a real Legion-air!"

I am a Legion-are many times over.

Randy I really hate that picture with the cover off the right side tank top, just saying!

- - - Updated - - -

If the car has sat that long you should replace the rubber/steel rapped hoses at the engine also.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    I just have to say - " that UNTIL this happens to you - you are not a real Legion-air!"

I am a Legion-are many times over.

Randy I really hate that picture with the cover off the right side tank top, just saying!

- - - Updated - - -

If the car has sat that long you should replace the rubber/steel rapped hoses at the engine also.
    Why is that ?

Randy

My Cars
    1977 bmw 320i
    OK folks, I am going to give you some obvious advice. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation when working on the top of the tank to change fuel lines or orings. NEVER use any tool with an electric motor and be very careful. No sparks. If you are keeping the tank in to work on it, make sure the windows are rolled down and the doors open. It might seem painfully obvious, but you never know how the amount of fumes it will take to ignite until it is to late. Speaking from experience and month visit in the burn unit at the local hospital. Believe me when I say there was never any indication that I was in a bad situation. I never smelled any fumes, but they were there. A spark from a wet dry vac next to the car was all it took to ignite the fumes.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfury40 View Post
    OK folks, I am going to give you some obvious advice. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation when working on the top of the tank to change fuel lines or orings. NEVER use any tool with an electric motor and be very careful. No sparks. If you are keeping the tank in to work on it, make sure the windows are rolled down and the doors open. It might seem painfully obvious, but you never know how the amount of fumes it will take to ignite until it is to late. Speaking from experience and month visit in the burn unit at the local hospital. Believe me when I say there was never any indication that I was in a bad situation. I never smelled any fumes, but they were there. A spark from a wet dry vac next to the car was all it took to ignite the fumes.
    Thank you for sharing this most important advice and your unfortunate experience. Even as a reminder for the 'seasoned' folks.

Gasoline fumes are dangerously unpredictable, even in very tiny amounts, especially when the fuel is warm. Don't forget about static electricity either!
    Tbd

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfury40 View Post
    Im glad to see that you were not hurt any worse my friend!! Did you have little gas in your tank??

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Quote Originally Posted by 320iAman View Post
    Heres from photos of the job I did. I renewed the bottom hose connecting the two gas tanks as well since I was there and a new y adapter. The cloth hose in pic 2 caused my leak, its was cracked from age.. Replacement hose standard bmw fuel injection hose.

DSCI0236.JPG DSCI0241.JPG DSCI0240.JPG DSCI0237.JPG

Randy
    In the second photo, large hose on the bottom which connects the 2 tanks, what is the size of that hose? No longer shows in realoem so I have no idea what size it is.
    Last edited by Rushfan1; 05-10-2019 at 10:11 PM.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I couldnt find fuel hose in that size, so I had to buy OEM. 16121176795 ebay has some from Egypt or Latvia for cheap. I just waited for it to come in.

Im looking for the rubber hose to the primary tank from the gas lid.. 16121176793. Where did you get yours?

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    I couldnt find fuel hose in that size, so I had to buy OEM. 16121176795 ebay has some from Egypt or Latvia for cheap. I just waited for it to come in.

Im looking for the rubber hose to the primary tank from the gas lid.. 16121176793. Where did you get yours?
    I have not sourced that hose but the one you referenced is available at ECS tuning:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/16121176793/

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

bmw 16121176795,, FCP Euro,,$23.50,,Lifetime Warranty from FCP.. Lower hose in Pic 2, it connects the left and right gas tanks together, the top hose is part of the gas tank vapor-evaporation system.

open-uri20150825-29504-16h9ekm.jpg

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...176795#fitment

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 05-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushfan1 View Post
    I have not sourced that hose but the one you referenced is available at ECS tuning:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/16121176793/
    I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper but options and limited and I'd rather not spill gas down the highway so I guess $70 it is.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper but options and limited and I'd rather not spill gas down the highway so I guess $70 it is.
    Aww man yeah I had to buy the same one. Sucky that its almost triple the cost of the one connecting the two tanks!!