Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mslevin's S52 build

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Machine Shop costs:

Includes cost for all machine work- even the block that I'm not using. Basically remove the first subtotal to get the 'actual' machine shop cost.

Quantity Item Description Price Each Amount Detail
    1 Labor Boil Block $80.00 $80.00 S50 block
    1 Labor Check Piston Clearance. .0035"-.0045" and found one cracked piston. $30.00 $30.00 S50
    1 Labor Check out cylinder head, check guides (OK), Vaccuum test (OK), Install new seals. $150.00 $150.00 S50 head
    1 Labor Boil, mike, and polish crank. Crank measures good and is std rods and std mains. $60.00 $60.00 S50
    Subtotal $320.00
    1 Labor Disassemble and assemble short block $400.00 $400.00
    1 Labor Boil block $80.00 $80.00 S52
    1 Labor Boil, mike, polish crank $60.00 $60.00 S52
    1 Labor Boil pan and front cover $75.00 $75.00 S52
    1 Labor Basic valve job $380.00 $380.00 S50 head
    1 Labor Remove and reinstall intake guides and size $144.00 $144.00 S50 head
    1 Labor Bore and hone 6 cylinders $240.00 $240.00 S50 block
    1 Part Rings Std 11-25-1-405-783 $360.00 $360.00 S52
    1 Part Freight $20.00 $20.00
    24 Part Valve stem seals 12-31306-05 $2.00 $48.00 S50 head
    12 Part Intake guide B657 $10.00 $120.00 S50 head
    12 Part Rod Bolt 11-24-1-739-729 $6.60 $79.20 S52
    1 Labor Clean 6 pistons $42.00 $42.00 S52
    CA Sales Tax 9.0% $56.45
    Subtotal $2,104.65
    TOTAL $2,424.65
    Last edited by mslevin; 03-12-2019 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    325i '92, Polo 6R, XJ6S3
    Amazing thread!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Now we're getting somewhere! (not really)

The engine is back home- finally! Two months into this build and I haven't actually put anything together yet. First step is getting it onto the stand, which was much easier to do with the engine in the back of the Yukon. Roll engine stand up to the trunk, bolt it on, back it up. Nice.

Untitled by Michael Slevin, on Flickr

First step is painting the block. Might as well make this thing look nice, with all the money I'm putting into it! In hindsight, this would've been a lot easier to do without the shortblock assembled, but oh well. Masking took a while, and it wasn't 100% perfect but definitely good enough.

Wondering what the garbage bag is for? Here's mslevin's life hack #45: Instead of trying to mask off the whole crankcase, turn the motor over, put a trash bag over it, bolt on the oil pan, flip the engine back over, and pull the bag down. Boom! Bottom end masked in 2 minutes!

I used Duplicolor engine enamel primer and then gloss black, following the instructions on the can. A few light coats, then one medium wet coat. Everything within an hour. Of course, because nothing in my life is easy, I chose to paint it at night when it was cold and kinda raining. Thankfully I had my dad and a large umbrella to help out. I'm a man of action.

First coat of primer:

All primed and looking good!

I can hear you all shouting, "But mslevin! It was cold! The paint won't dry properly! Your engine block paint won't be concourse-ready!". That's where you're wrong kiddos!

These halogen lamps get super hot...perfect for curing paint.

And NO I didn't paint it inside next to the 911. I took it outside, painted, and rolled it inside to let it dry.

ooooooo shiny!

Really happy with how it turned out. Yes, I probably should have covered over some of those mounting holes on the block, but I plan on chasing every threaded hole I can find anyway so I'm not worried about it. If you're concerned, please call 1-800-build-your-own-engine.

Okay time to assemble this bad boy!

haha just kidding time to talk about more setbacks. Three small ones.

1) Damaged timing chain sprocket. No idea how this happens, but whatever. Probably should've replaced this anyway as its kind of a wear item. Ended up accidentally ordering two.

2) Remember "BIG MISTAKE #1", where I ruined the oil pump? I thought that was all resolved as I had a whole new engine with another oil pump. Well, looks like either the PO (unlikely) or the machine shop (likely) made the same mistake. The shaft is threaded and I can't get the nut off. Gotta find a new pump now, ugh.

3) Timing chain guides are different for S50 vs S52. This one was annoying, just an oversight on my part. I ordered all new guides a while ago for the S50 block, based on part numbers from RealOEM. If you look at RealOEM and click on the part # for the chain tensioner rail, part 11311726503, it shows that part 11311703717 supersedes it. USUALLY on RealOEM, this means the part has been revised/updated. Its true, the revised part is a fully plastic rail, vs metal with plastic on the older part. I didn't think much of this and ordered the new one, but when I was inventorying parts, I tried it on the block and it didn't fit! The S50 block has a different mounting design than the S52. S50 uses a cylindrical post with a circlip on it, whereas the S52 part has an updated post that the plastic guide clips to by itself. Hard to explain, unfortunately I don't have any pics. There's no way to swap mounts between the blocks, so I just ordered the original S50 part. Out another $35, but oh well.

In other bad news, I haven't made much progress. I have the windage tray on, and the oil pickup tube bracket. The machine shop didn't install this, which I kind of understand as it isn't super obvious. The surprise fourth setback is that this bracket mounts under the #5 main cap. Had to pull the cap, install the bracket, and reinstall the cap with new bolts. That was kind of exciting.

CURRENT STATUS: parts everywhere. Currently trying to source a new oil pump, so hopefully I have another update by the weekend.

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any questions!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Looks good! Some loctite the OPN to the shaft. Maybe that is all you are fighting?

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Looks good! Some loctite the OPN to the shaft. Maybe that is all you are fighting?
    My plan is to use red loctite and a safety wire nut from Turner.

The threads are actually stripped. I can turn the nut by hand on the shaft and it doesn't come off.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    That is too bad. I know you started out trying to do a budget build and are probably way over your estimates already, but VAC and Achilles sell upgraded oil pump shafts.

Also, there is an updated oil pump pickup that is reinforced and less prone to cracking than the original.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 03-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    That is too bad. I know you started out trying to do a budget build and are probably way over your estimates already, but VAC and Achilles sell upgraded oil pump shafts.

Also, there is an updated oil pump pickup that is reinforced and less prone to cracking than the original.
    Word, I tried the budget build route. Works for some things, others not so much. Your oil pump troubles sound like my pilot bearing woes. As for the reverse thread fuckup, everyone does it, even experienced mechanics apparently. Just sucks that you got hit twice by something you already understood, but someone "more experienced" did not. Frankly, ever since Les Shwab failed to tighten and set one of my hub king nuts I have been less than agreeable about other ppl working on my car. Machining though, you are kinda screwed there unless you happen to have a few hundred thousand dollars of equipment sitting around.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Lots of progress over the weekend thanks to my friend Shan. Will post an update later today.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    THINGS ARE HAPPENING!

Got a new (used) oil pump from my buddy Erick last week. Installed that, with the sprocket and a safety-wire OPN with some red loctite as well for good measure. New chains all around of course- the oil pump chain is IWIS 'Racing', which apparently is slightly tighter. This was a little tricky to put on with the sprocket already attached- if I had to do it again I'd put the pump on, put the chain around the sprocket, then put the sprocket on the pump.

I wanted to be a little fancy with the safety wire and twist it properly. You can see in then pic above my first attempt, just using a set of vice grips. Not great. My buddy Shan (ME, Formula SAE experience, etc) came over a few times during the weekend to help me out, and he managed to do a much nicer job. I bought safety wire pliers from Harbor Freight and they were GARBAGE! Truly useless. Most HF tools are good enough, especially for the price, but these were basically only good as a paperweight. Thankfully we managed to get it looking pretty good. This is also when i started going crazy and marking every nut/bolt with a paint pen once they were torqued.

Front main seal in. Don't have a pic of it, but I used an old crank hub to install it. Pushed the locating pin out the back, and used a soft mallet with the hub as a die (right word? idk) to push it in. Worked well!

Aforementioned NEW timing chain guides and timing chain sprocket installed! The left side guide didn't want to slip onto the dowel nicely, so I used some fine sandpaper to juuuust take off enough to let it slide on nicely. Little bit of grease helped out too.

It was at this point we realized that it was almost time to put the head on. Scary! I took some quick pictures of it. Surface wasn't decked as it was clean and flat and straight- no need to. The head was hot tanked, new intake valve guides, new valve seals, 3 angle valve job, pressure checked. Basics.

Dropped the head on! ARP studs are installed in the block.

I bought a new Behr 88 deg thermostat to put in (same as I have in the M50 currently). I've seen some discussion around bleed holes in thermostats, and this one didn't have one. I figured it can't hurt, so I drilled a tiny hole before putting it in. I also installed the new aluminum thermostat housing. Put in the two gaskets, but didn't RTV the actual housing. Going to pull it off tonight and do that- I've seen arguments both ways, but I don't think it'll hurt.

You KNOW I had to mock up the motor with a valve cover and the headers. Couldn't wait to see what it'd look like. Headers are being sent out to Jet-Hot this week!

Torquing down the head. The tape has the torque sequence written on it, which makes it a little easier. Followed the instructions- clean/lube/incremental torque. Also waited a while in between torque sequences, and checked at each level before moving to the next. Thanks to Andrei for the tip.

Once that was done....its cam time baby!

More details to come. I have a life to live so I can't just sit here and post engine pics all day (unfortunately).

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Awesome job! I hate the plastic valve cover, but everything else looks top notch.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    Awesome job! I hate the plastic valve cover, but everything else looks top notch.
    This one definitely isn't very pretty. Most likely going to use my OBDI cover currently on my M50, which is wrinkle coated black.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Progress has been made, update coming soon!

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    Progress has been made, update coming soon!
    How you gonna do me like that? Now I feel like a kid two days before christmas, hurry up with them pics lol.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Note to self: don't leave so much time between updates. The most content I have to be posted, the longer I put it off. The longer I put it off, the less details I remember. If you think I've missed any important details please let me know and I'll add as much info as I can.

Anyway, CAMS!

I used a massive amount of assembly lube though this process, specifically Permatex Ultra Slick. Its great stuff, but is pretty liquid, so it flows off of things like cam lobes. Before the motor is started, I'll be pouring a bunch of lube and oil on top of the cams- probably 1 or 2 quarts of the 7 total. Not too worried about it, but just want to make sure everything is well lubed before first start.

First step was installing the lifters and cam trays. There are a bunch of methods for doing this- it's tricky because you install the lifters into the trays upside down, then have to flip the whole tray over to seat it onto the head. The assembly lube was super helpful here, as it's tacky enough to actually hold the lifters in the bores pretty well for a few seconds. Install, get everything lined up, flip, done.

Once they were in, it was time to drop in the cams. This scared me a little, as at first I didn't think the cams fit! When you put the cams into the trays, they obviously won't sit flat due to the lobes of the cams sitting on the lifters of at least 1 cylinder. Not sure if stock cams are like this, but these Schrick cams have a very tight clearance at the front edge towards the cam sprockets. These two factors made it seem like they wouldn't go in. This is what I was looking at:

Worried, I pulled the trays out (letting the lifters fall all over the place, whatever).

I put the trays down on the table, made sure everything was well lubed, and tried installing the cams into the trays without the lifters. Thankfully, they fit perfectly and span beautifully!

Crisis averted, everything went back in. Make sure you install the cam caps the right way. There are markings on the trays ("E" for intake and "A" for exhaust)- the marks (A1, A2, E1, E2, etc) on the caps should be towards the intake side of the motor. Actually installing the cams is tricky- you have to hold them in such a way that only one the cylinder 1 lobes acting on the lifters. This is done with a large spanner, or in my case and adjustable wrench, on the cams. Between cylinder 5 and 6 there are two flattened sections to accomodate this. I didn't have a spanner the right size, and I had to grind down the sides of my crescent wrench to fit onto the flat sections of the cams. Sorry I don't have more photos of this process- I did it all at once pretty quickly. Hold the cams in place carefully, and install the nuts for the cam cap of the lobes acting on the lifters. Tighten these a quarter turn at a time until that one cap is hand tight. Install the other caps, evenly turning all the nuts a quarter turn at a time. Finish off at 11ft-lbs. Repeat for other cam. Be careful and take your time. IMPORTANT! The lobes of cylinder 1 should be acting on lifters, and the motor should be slightly before TDC so you don't smash the valve into the cylinder. Yes, make sure the motor is at TDC and then turn it backwards a little. DON'T do what I did and totally forget to do that and somehow just get lucky with it.

Next up is chains and tensioners and timing the engine and omg.

I'll say upfront: this took me a LONG time. Maybe 3 full sessions of working on the motor to get everything cleaned, installed, checked, oiled, reinstalled, torqued, blessed, etc. I fully installed the timing assembly as a sanity check, then uninstalled it and did it again properly.

New lower tensioner installed. Ignore the weird stuff on the screw holes in that cam lobe- I think it was old threadlocker. I cleaned it off before final install.

Laying out all the cam sprockets parts. Got everything nice and clean. There are two versions of this as described in the Bentley manual- this is the one with the spring washer and extra thrust plate. RealOEM and Bentley are critical here for proper assembly instructions and diagrams.

Timing chain and sprocket installed on exhaust cam, trigger wheel installed on intake cam, and tensioner installed.

Intake cam sprocket and assembly installed. Pros will see the issue with this photo. Any ideas?

If you said "the cam timing chain ins't installed!", you're right! The chain has to be installed on the sprockets, and then the sprockets are installed together. No way to get it on after they're installed. Like I said, this took a while...

All assembled now, but not ready to be timed yet. We need the VANOS to do that.

There are tons of writeups on how to do this, so I won't go into tons of detail. It really isn't difficult, once you have the VANOS off it doesn't take long to rebuild it. A lot of people use the Dr.VANOS rebuilt units, which is great! The added cost gets you a professional job and polished piston or something. I decided that wasn't worth it and bought the piston seals and anti-rattle ring from Besian Systems for about $60.

A few notes:
    • It is really important to have a way to hold the unit in a vice. I used Harbor Freight C-clamp jaw pads, which fit perfectly on my bench vise and kept the unit undamaged and in place.
    • Use lots of brake cleaner and get it as shiny as possible- shiny parts are faster parts.
    • If you're rebuilding it, get the seals and the anti-rattle ring and do both
    • I used a bunch of assembly lube when putting it back together. Not sure if you're meant to, but I did
    • Read the full Besian Instructions for BOTH the seals and ring install- if you follow all the instructions for one and then do the other, you'll have to disassemble everything twice
    • Be careful with the tiny needle bearings
    • Soak the seals in hot water or they'll be impossible to install
    • Get everything as clean as possible.

Once that was done, we were ready to time the motor. Again, this took FOREVER. Lots of reading, asking questions to friends, YouTube videos, testing, etc. Too many small details here for me to really say much about it. There is a TON of great info on the web about this process.

Long story short....it's done.

Bonus video of me turning the motor over by hand. Sexy!

That's all for now. Headers should be back from ceramic coating this week, and here's a teaser of what's next:

Last edited by mslevin; 04-03-2019 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Hell yea, thanks for sharing your experiences. Especially have to do shit 2 or 3 times to get it done right, better than doing it once incorrectly. I just had to yank a rear trailing arm back out because of lack luster bushing install directions. That oil filter housing looks hot...
    Last edited by FiberFast; 04-03-2019 at 05:11 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Sorry for lack of updates. Car is running and is fast as hell. Will try to post pics and a writeup soon!

If anyone is wondering, final cost (from running car to running car) was just under $8000. I will post a cost sheet at some point in the future.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Vrooomm! Hell yea mslevin. Enjoy it.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Hey everyone! Back from the dead! Car is still running strong. It was dyno'ed at 238 a few weeks ago. This is less than what I was hoping for, and I have a plan to resolve that:

1. Fix exhaust leak. Had some issues with the SS headers and midsection which has caused a leak where they join. Solution is likely a custom exhaust.
    2. Move to OBDII. Data logging and better tuning.
    3. New tune
    4. 24# injectors
    5. Possibly BBTB

I took the car to thunderhill in Dec and beat my previous time by 8 seconds (2:16 -> 2:08). The new motor definitely helped

COST

This is a copy of my master cost list. To be really accurate, add $500-600 to this for some little things. Put a new clutch in it. Had to replace OPG and RMS as they were both leaking after final install. Etc.

Item Price Detail
    Machine work $2,100 Clark's Machine Shop
    Top End Gasket Kit $232.50 Elring
    S52 Head Gasket $77.25 Elring
    Block Gasket Kit $61.25 Elring
    ARP head studs $172.66 ARP 201-4302
    Oil pump safety wire nut $14.00
    Conrod bolts $0.00 ARP 201-6102
    OEM Main Bolts $90
    Rod bearings $140 Bimmerworld
    Water pump $166 Stewart
    Thermostat $19.50 Behr 88C
    Headers $500 SuperSpring Longtubes
    Tune $350 22rpd
    Thermostat Housing $20 Aluminum
    Crank bearings $172 Bimmerworld
    Timing chain, Primary tensioner, Top Chain Guide $106.75 Febi
    Secondary tensioner
    Upper/main chain guide
    Chain sprocket $74.00
    Cam to crank chain $52.00
    Oil pump chain $15.00
    Lower chain guide $14.50 Febi
    Chain tensioner rail $34.50 Febi
    Cam sensor
    Crank sensor
    Knock sensors $160 New Bosch
    Belts Owned
    VANOS rebuild kit $65 O rings and anti rattle thing
    VANOS feed line $38
    Spark Plugs $31
    21.5lb S52 Injectors $50 Used/rebuilt?
    Rear main seal $10 Elring
    Crank bolt $21.25
    S52 Bottom End $400
    Valve Retainers and Collets $318 New OEM. w/ shipping
    Exhaust stud nuts $28 28, need 24
    Exhaust studs $9.20 4
    Coolant pipe adapter $35
    S54 OFH Vanos AN Line $95 Achilles. Incl shipping.
    Pilot Bearing $7 F.A.G.
    Throw out bearing $50 Sachs
    Header ceramic coating $220
    Alternator $0 New refurbished from Oreillys
    Power steering pump Use M50 (hopefully)
    Oil Temp Sender $30.34 VDO 323092
    Fuel filter $12
    Valve cover grommets $9.50 Amazon
    Dipstick O-ring $3.25 S52
    Oil Filter $21 (x2)
    Clutch and PP $177 eBay. Same kit as before.
    Transmission
    Flywheel bolts Proprietary from Gripforce?
    Pressure plate bolts
    Bolt Ons
    Cams $800 Schrick 264/256
    3.5" MAF $150 Bosch.
    3 -> 3.5" adapter $26.00 x2 (RETURN MAYBE)
    3.5" boot $76 BW. W/ shipping
    Oil Pan Baffle $166

​TOTAL: ABOUT $8000

I have a ton more pictures which I will try to post in time. Very happy to answer any questions and provide details or part numbers as needed!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Why did you get a head gasket in addition to a top end gasket kit? Should be included in the kit yea?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Why did you get a head gasket in addition to a top end gasket kit? Should be included in the kit yea?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Good eye! The top end gasket kit I bought was for an S50. I ended up building an S52, so bought an S52 head gasket. Bore diameters are slightly different.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    Just read the whole thread. Content like that is what got me to subscribe to this forum in the first place. Awesome work. Keep us posted, I am really curious about the power gains

My Cars
    S54 E36
    How's the car, dude?

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    How's the car, dude?
    So good. Getting ready for Laguna Seca w/ SpeedSF on Sunday and hoping it stays dry. Did a 1:50 with the old M50, hoping to go a little faster than that now!

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    For anyone interested, here is the complete album of pictures from the build: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151870...57703898297692

I will try to post and narrate photos here in the near future!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast