Thread: E32/E34 instrument cluster issues - repairs

My Cars
    1989 BMW e34 535iS

E32/E34 instrument cluster issues - repairs

hi all,

i'm going to just jump straight into it, i have an e34 535i 1989, and i've been having some tachometer problems. symptoms at the moment are; the tacho will die and drop to 0 and not work whilst driving. sometimes bumps in the road cause it, and most of the time it happens when the headlights are on. it also does happen when the headlights aren't on.. also, when it's playing up, if you rev the car out, it'll flick up from 0 to 5k and stick there even when you're bouncing off the limiter.

this is becoming increasingly more common though there are phases where i'll drive the car a lot without incident..

any ideas? suggestions? theories?

thanks
    -jon

no one ever addresses instrument cluster problems..

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Sounds like the cluster's capacitors dying, a quick search will get the info you need.
    Bouncing off the rev limiter, eh? Search " broken rocker arm" while you're at it.

My Cars
    1989 BMW e34 535iS
    lol. isn't it if you adjust the valves regularly (properly) will help with it not breaking? thanks for your advice though! i had a feeling it might be that, everyone i've asked in person said the same thing..i just wanted a second opinion. cheers!

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34
    Its the capacitors.... I JUST had the same issue and ended up replacing my cluster with one from a 7-series (only one the parts depot had)

Option A, solder new capacitors on
    Option B, grab a new one from eBay, or if you have any bimmer part shops.

If its a grey-back like mine you won't need to swap the coding chip (in the brown harness), if its a "newer" one then you will have to switch them, its a box looking thing on the back of the cluster.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

brokatrot7 is offline Ancillary Character BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3/91 735iL, 8/90 535i
    I have a suitable cluster if you chose to go that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    The m30 was probably created before man discovered fire so the idea of melting ice hadn't occurred to anyone.

My Cars
    1989 BMW e34 535iS
    haha cheers guys! i think i'll go the capacitors.

also, every now and again, if i go over a bump in the road, sometimes the whole thing will just have a dead face. like, all the lcd goes blank and all the needles don't work. is that also a capacitor thing?

it's not a mass common issue, but it does happen..

thanks heaps guys.

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    yes all the problems you have been saying since post #1 are capacitor related.

does you lcd look like this:

if so, then the larger capacitor (graybacks) is failing and needs replacement. Replace them all for good measure.

read this whole thing, when I changed my caps:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1507985

and here are the links for cap replacement on other sites:
    caps replacement:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...Capacitors.htm
    http://www.bimmer.se/mektips/instrument.htm
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dash...dash_caps.html
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150110...terrepair.html
    Last edited by shogun; 03-07-2024 at 03:22 PM. Reason: link update

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    Slightly related maybe.

When an E34 cluster goes bad does it smell like melting/burning plastic/electronics? Also will the P illumination for an auto fail to appear?

Reason asking is that I occasionally get a burning/melting plastic or electronics smell in my Touring. And I just noticed yesterday when I got it home and put it in park that the P no longer showed up even though E/S, & R/N/3/2/1 still would all illuminate.

It's got a maybe year old blower motor that was a new factory blower. It's also had the cabin filter changed about a year ago as well so doubt it's either of those typical E34 meltdown issues.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build
    OEM additions include Euro trim, passenger seat mounted first aid kit, tool kit warning triangle, clears all around, black chrome exhaust tips, spare tire well gas can, and rear armrest fridge.

Waiting for install is an adjustable lumbar support, & drivers side glove box...

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    My money is on your transmission range switch having a bad connection. Open it up and clean the traces inside. That's assuming it didn't melt itself.

Drivertain: Getrag 260/6, E34 M5 clutch, 15 lb FW, E36 M3 shifter, Portland Driveline driveshaft
    Suspension: Eibach springs, Koni adjustable shocks/struts, M5 antiroll bars front/rear, M5 thrust arm bushings, fully rebuilt suspension/steering
    Engine: Rebuilt top end and resealed. Turner Motorsport ECU chip.
    Lighting: Euro smilies w/ 5500k HID lights, clear front corner lights

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    Yeah, I'd thought it might be an issue with the selection switch. Guess I should pull that out and give it a look see. Otherwise it works fine, just doesn't display the P when it's parked.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build
    OEM additions include Euro trim, passenger seat mounted first aid kit, tool kit warning triangle, clears all around, black chrome exhaust tips, spare tire well gas can, and rear armrest fridge.

Waiting for install is an adjustable lumbar support, & drivers side glove box...

My Cars
    1989 BMW e34 535iS
    It looks exactly like that! thanks man. i didn't know that actually happened to people coz no one ever talks about that and i've never seen anyone else having the same issue..
    cheers bruz

My Cars
    1989 BMW e34 535iS
    yes it looks exactly like that! i didn't know people actually had this same problem coz i never seen this pop up ever. cheers paperplane!

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 525i

Capacitor Replacement

For future reference -> I made a video that shows how to repair the dashboard. https://youtu.be/r3MjNCDxD48
    If you have any questions, let me know.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    good info, thanks, here the link to fongman recovered with the wayback machine fongman1 repairpages instrument cluster repair
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060411...terrepair.html

all repairs from fongman from wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20060117...net/~fongman1/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1992 E32 M60 V8 RHD
    @PieterWil thanks for the video made by you, its really helpful, i hope it can fix my cluster issue, during cold, the display is only bottom half of everything, but when its up to operating temperature, it will display all, however sometimes it displays only bottom half of every digital display, i need to press the cluster in to see every display. hope it will fix my cluster issue, im gonna try this next week, my e32 is now currently in a workshop for gearbox input shaft seal replacement and i do rear main seal at the same time. and also all those lower arm, upper arm, stabilizer link to fix all those clunks and plays at the front wheel.
    1990 730i M30B30 RHD - Sold
    1993 730i M60B30 RHD

Others:-
    2012 Toyota Fortuner 4WD 3.0
    2012 Kia Optima 2.4L
    1990 Suzuki cavalcade (motorbike for hobby)