Thread: Mtech Springs on EDC

My Cars
    E36 c & s, G30

Mtech Springs on EDC

Hey guys I have an EDC 850i. Thoughts of replacing all front and rear OEM stock springs with MTech Springs (31331138735 F , 33531136696 R)

Would it be ok?

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    My Alpina B12 5.0 had EDC with Alpina Springs, so there should be no problems.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    My 96 850Ci has EDC with CSi springs. I've been running that setup for years without problem.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 8erBN View Post
    Thoughts of replacing all front and rear OEM stock springs with MTech Springs (31331138735 F , 33531136696 R)
    Thought those were NLA.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    E36 c & s, G30
    I’ve read somewhere in the forum that csi springs does not lower the car, is this true?

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    I’ve read somewhere in the forum that csi springs does not lower the car, is this true?
    CSi springs lower the car, but only slightly. I forget the actual amount, but it's not as aggressive as H+R or other aftermarket ones. I'm not sure how they compare to the BMW MTech springs.
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBobo View Post
    Thought those were NLA.
    ECS Tuning, Schmiedmann and BMW of South Atlanta are all showing them as available. Not sure what happens when you try to buy them.
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I believe they are available in Europe only. You may have to contact someone over there to get them for you.

My Cars
    91 850
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    I believe they are available in Europe only. You may have to contact someone over there to get them for you.
    ECS Tuning shows that they have the front pair and will ship late part of this May. Price is reasonable too.

My Cars
    E36 c & s, G30
    I’ll be flying off to europe next month hoping to get some parts from there.

Any more advise on the mtech springs? What about rear sway bars, what would be the best, simplest and like to like replacement for the oem rear sway bars?

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I have heard of others trying to order them through ECS and they never seem to show up. I think they just keep moving date further out. You may want to call before ordering online. Maybe, ask 8erBN to get them for you while he is in Europe. He can ship everything back.

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi

Mtech Springs on EDC

Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    Schmeidmann delivers to the US, and their prices also tend to be lower than most. I’ve ordered from them several times recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mbarrett635; 03-09-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Try www.scorebmwparts.com . This is a dealer in S. California and he has ordered a number of items from Germany for me if they do not have it in stock here in the states.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    To: OP... Mtech springs will give you a pretty much stock ride height with a stiffer ride, So will Csi springs but even stiffer, The Alpina springs are relabled Eibachs which are nice in my opinion, Tried about 7 different types.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 8eights; 03-09-2019 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI

Do it

Hey guys I have an EDC 850i. Thoughts of replacing all front and rear OEM stock springs with MTech Springs (31331138735 F , 33531136696 R)

Would it be ok?
    I installed the M-Tech springs into my 1993 850, along with CSI Sway bars. My car had EDC shocks. I LOVE the overall balance and handling of my car. I have pushed it hard around Laguna Seca. Your car will sit about 1/2 inch lower than stock, and will be about 30% stiffer. Shorter bump stops should be installed. A set of spherical front traction arm bearings will tighten up your steering. At this time I have Moosehead engineering units installed, but I plan to install a set of Turner units in the future as they have better seals along with a circlip to maintain centering in the arm, not that the Moosehead units have moved after two years, they haven’t.
    Good luck

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    To: OP... Mtech springs will give you a pretty much stock ride height with a stiffer ride, So will Csi springs but even stiffer, The Alpina springs are relabled Eibachs which are nice in my opinion, Tried about 7 different types.
    Got them all - measured them all!!
    Did the Math - calculated them all
    The Mtech springs are a good compromise with EDC shocks. BMW M-Sport Low Slung suspension is spec'ed at 15mm ride height reduction, Front & Rear .

The CSi springs are really too stiff for EDC shocks. CSi springs need CSi damping!! and the CSi never had EDC's. The tapered wire gauge with vinyl tube on one end of the CSi rear springs is a coil bind section that keeps the spring in place but the spring is still a linear rate spring.

I would stay away from H&R and Eibach springs unless you have the experience and/or knowledge to match a different rear spring to the front as those spring sets are not well balanced (bounce/pitch motion). i.e., Mtech rear works well with H&R front!!
    Nothing off the shelf is a good balance with the Eibach front spring and the Eibach rear spring is like the H&R rear spring... only good for the dumpster!!

I know, no one like to hear H&R and Eibach failed to make a good performance spring set for the E31.. but that is a fact!!!
    IMHO, only BMW made good/balanced springs for the E31. Well..Dinan made balanced spring sets also, but the Dinan springs are no longer made and rare a hens teeth used!!

FWIW, if you use Bilstein shocks they will increase the ride height +10-12mm - so, that is why many dispute the Mtech springs provide a -15mm ride height reduction.. it is not the springs it is the Bilstein shocks that actually increase the ride height; hence Mtech springs (-15mm) with Bilstein shocks (+12mm) = stock ride height....
    Last edited by m6bigdog; 03-18-2019 at 09:33 PM.

My Cars
    91 850
    So M6bigdog,

You don't recommend Eibach springs all around with Bilsteins?
    I have H&R fronts with 1/2" cut rear OEM springs.
    In my personal opinion, the front H&R fronts with Bilsteins are no good. The front bottoms out every time I go over parking lot speed bumps if I don't manage the speed and braking.

Bilsteins are the sport ones that many on here have installed on their cars.

...just a curious question.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBobo View Post
    Thought those were NLA.
    Almost any Euro part is NLA in the US.
    That is - you will need to source the Euro part from a Canadian BMW dealer or European parts supplier like Schmiedmann.
    If you try to buy from a BMW dealer or an independent parts supplier that gets their parts from BMW/NA they will list it as NLA.
    NLA for import!! EPA & DOT have forced BMW/NA to stop importing European Only Parts into the US since those parts were never EPA or DOT approved.
    Good old days are gone!!

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFuture8 View Post
    So M6bigdog,

You don't recommend Eibach springs all around with Bilsteins?
    I have H&R fronts with 1/2" cut rear OEM springs.
    In my personal opinion, the front H&R fronts with Bilsteins are no good. The front bottoms out every time I go over parking lot speed bumps if I don't manage the speed and braking.

Bilsteins are the sport ones that many on here have installed on their cars.

...just a curious question.
    Eibachs with Bilsteins...No!!
    Eibach fronts are 23% stiffer than CSi front springs. Eibach rear is only 12% stiffer than the stock 850 spring.
    What do you do with that! Huge understeer not to mention the bounce/pitch motion imbalance problem!!
    The H&R fronts are 30% stiffer than stock, the lowest ride height front spring available and if you have the CSi body kit you will drag the front-end on almost every driveway you encounter.
    1/2 cut off the stock rear spring is only 5% stiffer than the stock rear spring. Not well balanced when you increase the front suspension by 30%.
    Go with the MTech all around and use low pressure gas shocks.
    Look at Hyper's suspension work!!
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ght=Hyper+Koni
    I suggested using Koni Sport fronts with BMW OE CSi rear shocks in 2004. Hyper made it happen.
    Highly Recommended. performance suspension without giving up the 850 comfort!!

My Cars
    91 850
    Well, I can't remember if I cut OE rear springs by 1/2" or more...but whatever was suggested on here by a few folks who have done it.
    I definitely feel it's pretty stiff in the rear. The front with the H&R, I don't like it at all. It is bouncy going over speeds and bottom out if I don't brake right at the height of the bump in the parking lot.

And these "BMW OE CSi rear shocks" are not cheap. Wow, $300+ a piece and can they even be sourced readily?

Oops. Apologies to the OP. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    Eibachs with Bilsteins...No!!
    Eibach fronts are 23% stiffer than CSi front springs. Eibach rear is only 12% stiffer than the stock 850 spring.
    What do you do with that! Huge understeer not to mention the bounce/pitch motion imbalance problem!!
    The H&R fronts are 30% stiffer than stock, the lowest ride height front spring available and if you have the CSi body kit you will drag the front-end on almost every driveway you encounter.
    1/2 cut off the stock rear spring is only 5% stiffer than the stock rear spring. Not well balanced when you increase the front suspension by 30%.
    Go with the MTech all around and use low pressure gas shocks.
    Look at Hyper's suspension work!!
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ght=Hyper+Koni
    I suggested using Koni Sport fronts with BMW OE CSi rear shocks in 2004. Hyper made it happen.
    Highly Recommended. performance suspension without giving up the 850 comfort!!
    Last edited by ChrisFuture8; 03-19-2019 at 12:11 AM.

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    Confirming, all said.

Got them all and actually tried them all on 3 different cars, playing spring musical chairs.

Didn't do the math, BUT listened to the people that did the math both on our own board and BMW engineering.

My reply pertains to San Francisco Bay are conditions, and mountain twisties at limit early in the mornings.

Bilstein, the B12s out of the box are stiff, very stiff. Ask any of the veterans here.....Toomanyparts has them on his car and after tinkering with it over and over and over again with revalving still subpar results on an immaculate car (his is the cleanest I have seen inside and out to date).

Bilstein: I had them on an 840ci with Bilstein, Eibachs, M-Wrench Chamber plates (1.6 Neg), Bump Steer (must have if you are lowering) with Greg K II set to stiffest setting on the back to correct the a$$ backwards calculation mistake of Eibach. Car was on rails, creates first driving......but once the excitement settled it was unbearable. Rattled, lost a couple of teeth fillings, back started getting sore ( I was 32 years old at the time)......Note Tires and Rims Racing Dynamics 17s 275s rear and 245 front

I have an S70 car with Bilstein, Cut 3/4 OEM Rear, H&R fronts, Greg K IIs, Chamber Plates 1.9 Neg, Car is more livable. Super Sharp handling, felt balanced.........BUT like m6bigdog mentioned the car is super jittery and not confident at limits. On top of that I crack my CSI nose due to H&R Front (too low) at least once a year. Ed (Dragon850) and I just had a 1 hour conversation about this, since I drove the car to a get together and reevaluated the suspension. FYI he has the super rare and NLA Dinan Springs.

I have a Red 6 speed car, which was my last project built by Hyper and I all CSI suspension. After many years of frustration, I test drove Hyper's car with Mtechs Springs, and Mtech Sway bar in the back, Koni fronts and MTech in back......I figured out what all the math and what the hype is about. The car was perfectly balance at normal speed, speed bumps and Spirited Driving (which Hyper allow me to do on his car) HOWEVER I did want a little stiffer, so I bit the bullet and bought:
    CSI Shocks rears (yes expensive but worth it)
    Koni's front set to stiffest (I think you spin it all the way to the right)
    CSI Springs All around
    CSI Sway Bars all around
    Additional: 1.6 Neg Chamber plates

The last car (Red 6 speed) handles twisties very well and it does LA and Back cruising perfectly (except the 6 speed part in LA Traffic).

80% will be happy with MTech Setup with Konis in the front
    20% CSI Setup is the way to go

99% of us on this forum do not do Track Days, and if we do its once a year. So highly efficient with minimum body roll that a couple of experts here have done is not applicable to us.

With that being said, it is our own car and do what you would like to do with it. But don't be surprised if your car feels like it is steering from the rear

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post

Got them all - measured them all!!
    Did the Math - calculated them all
    The Mtech springs are a good compromise with EDC shocks. BMW M-Sport Low Slung suspension is spec'ed at 15mm ride height reduction, Front & Rear .

The CSi springs are really too stiff for EDC shocks. CSi springs need CSi damping!! and the CSi never had EDC's. The tapered wire gauge with vinyl tube on one end of the CSi rear springs is a coil bind section that keeps the spring in place but the spring is still a linear rate spring.

I would stay away from H&R and Eibach springs unless you have the experience and/or knowledge to match a different rear spring to the front as those spring sets are not well balanced (bounce/pitch motion). i.e., Mtech rear works well with H&R front!!
    Nothing off the shelf is a good balance with the Eibach front spring and the Eibach rear spring is like the H&R rear spring... only good for the dumpster!!

I know, no one like to hear H&R and Eibach failed to make a good performance spring set for the E31.. but that is a fact!!!
    IMHO, only BMW made good/balanced springs for the E31. Well..Dinan made balanced spring sets also, but the Dinan springs are no longer made and rare a hens teeth used!!

FWIW, if you use Bilstein shocks they will increase the ride height +10-12mm - so, that is why many dispute the Mtech springs provide a -15mm ride height reduction.. it is not the springs it is the Bilstein shocks that actually increase the ride height; hence Mtech springs (-15mm) with Bilstein shocks (+12mm) = stock ride height....