Thread: Help Changing my Brake Fluid

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I

Question Help Changing my Brake Fluid

I have a 2004 525i with automatic transmission & M54 engine, recently I have been having trouble with my brakes making a squealing sound from the front passenger side wheel while they are spinning between 30-45mph, I plan on changing out the clips, bushings, & while apart if the pads need to be changed I also have a new set to put on as well. my question is regarding my brake fluid however, I don't have a vacuum or pressure bleeder of any kind the only thing I have similar would be a fluid transfer pump, im wondering if it would be ok to use the pump to suck out the fluid in the reservoir, then replace what was removed with new fluid or if this would be harmful to the car somehow due to the old/new fluid mixing?

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Changing fluid in the reservoir would be fine, but I highly recommend a pressure bleeder. For the E60/61 platform, it is a terrific tool to have. Makes bleeding way easier, and effective.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    ok I plan on getting one in the future but for now I know I haven't changed the fluid at all since buying the car and I can't be sure when the last time it was done before that so just to be safe. I plan on putting in pentision dot 4 fluid & I was mainly just worried that the fluid from the calipers mixing with the new fluid from the reservoir would be a bad thing or if pumping the fluid out this way could cause the calipers to run dry or something like that.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    No worries. The "turkey blaster" reservoir fluid change is common, and better than nothing.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    It won’t be harmful, but it won’t really help either. The dirty fluid is at the caliper end.

My Cars
    2010 535i X-Drive
    Why not have a friend come over and do a traditional 2 person bleed?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    don't have many people around that I could trust to help me an not mess something up, a lot of the people I know don't like my car for whatever reason an the one an only time I asked for help the person helping me did more to try an mess things up than any kind of help so from then on I decided that I would learn how to do everything myself so I wouldn't have to try an watch what someone who's posed to be helping is doing or risk problems lol.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    If you can find the right size, another option to do the traditional bleed on your own is speed bleeder caliper drain screws.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    You can do it yourself very easily. Get some clear tubing and put one end on the nipple and the other in a bottle or something steady and fill the bottle about a 1/4 with brake fluid. Then just open the bleeder and pump the brake until you see clear fluid coming out. The fluid in the bottle keeps air from getting back in. I actually prefer this to vacuum bleeding its never failed me and takes a minute or 2 per corner per corner.

You can even gravity bleed/flush them by just opening the nipple and letting it come out on its own in the open air without touching the brake pedal but this takes a long time. It does not introduce air into the system so don't worry.
    Last edited by pimpmyride101; 03-15-2019 at 09:41 PM.

My Cars
    E 34, E39
    I would do it always passive gravity bleed, no kits, no in and out, very effective, no assistance, no exhaustion of master cylinder

Here how i did it on my E39 528i

https://youtu.be/ea1Xn0GC05I

Sent from my moto e(6) plus using Tapatalk