Thread: Computer DME programed need to understand this

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert

Computer DME programed need to understand this

So far I understand not a heck of a lot about these. A box that controls my Engine and more I expect.

I have a parts car and wondered if keeping the spare computer was worth it. Then I came across this web site:
    https://www.ecudoctors.com/bmw-ecu-d...d-rebuilt.html

Where they wrote: "Ever since December of 1994 BMW added a new Engine Management technology as an anti-theft measure.The new anti-theft technology is a device called the "EWS", which is also known as the "Immobilizer". This module compares the VIN number of the car between different electronic modules in the car. If the VIN number isn't consistent, the car will not start.
    Also the EWS has a password feature called the "Rolling Code" which changes between the modules every time that the car is turned off. This makes it virtually impossible to swap used ECU's between BMW cars."

This suggests my spare computer is worthless, however ai have found others who said that they have swapped computers (A manual car computer into an Automatic car) and it worked.

I was going to keep my spare (97Z3) just in case the one from the 98Z3 quit.

Anyhow any ideas would help.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Although I am not a DME tuning expert, I can say that it is possible because I've done it. - You can back up ecu firmware a bin file, edit the bin to disable the ews, then flash it back to the ecu.

I'm sure others (who are more qualified in the subject) will chime in.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 5sp
    The PO of my car sent the ECU to Kassel Performance in PA to have it programmed for the M50 intake, AFE intake, and Magnaflow catback. According to the receipt, they also disabled the EWS. Hope this helps.
    ‘98 Z3 2.8 roadster, Montrealblau/tan 5sp, M50 manifold, AFE intake, SuperSprint catback, Bilsteins, BAVAuto sport springs, Style 42 BBS

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The ews can be disabled, and it's quite easy.
    You can also sync the dme to the car's ews even easier. Literally a 5 second procedure.

Ecudoctors is using very generalized mumbo-jumbo. There are no rolling codes in your generation Z3; my previous two statements are valid.

A final point, I haven't seen one of these ECUs simply fail on its own. You can rest easy that it's extremely unlikely.
    Either water ingress, or a major electrical short due to improper maintenance were the only causes why I ever had to replace these.

And then even if the worst happens, it's really easy to put a used one on your own for your car.

I have replaced ecus for BMWs and Minis from 1993 to 2015 for people and shops all over the country, and there are very few late 2000s ecus (E90 M3 and E60 M5) that are extremely difficult... But even those can be done.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6

My Cars
    -
    The Z3 uses a unique version of the EWS 3.3 system called "EWS 3D" from MY1999 on as far as I know.
    Last edited by me77; 03-05-2019 at 03:55 PM.