My Cars
    2015 BMW X5

WTF 2015 bmw x5 questions

Okay,

I have owned several Mercedes and Lexus SUVs.

I now have a 2015 BMW X5 xdrive 50i. And have a couple of WTF questions for it.

1. Why do you have to hit the "START" key TWICE to shut the car off and shut the accessories off?? All others have just required hitting the START key once to shut it off totally. Then if you want to turn accessories on, then you hit the button.

2. Why are you able to open the tailgate from inside the car, but NOT shut it off from inside. Again, all my other SUV's allow the tailgate to be opened AND closed from inside.

And don't even get me started on the flaky turn signal operation.

Just venting... But maybe someone knows the brilliant thinking at BMW behind this.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to X5 forum from X general forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by SGH View Post
    Okay,

I have owned several Mercedes and Lexus SUVs.

I now have a 2015 BMW X5 xdrive 50i. And have a couple of WTF questions for it.

1. Why do you have to hit the "START" key TWICE to shut the car off and shut the accessories off?? All others have just required hitting the START key once to shut it off totally. Then if you want to turn accessories on, then you hit the button.

2. Why are you able to open the tailgate from inside the car, but NOT shut it off from inside. Again, all my other SUV's allow the tailgate to be opened AND closed from inside.

And don't even get me started on the flaky turn signal operation.

Just venting... But maybe someone knows the brilliant thinking at BMW behind this.
    Some Answers or different perspective:
    1. The procedure BMW uses with it START button is the same procedure that was used for decades with an ignition cylinder and key blade. You apparently don't like it...but I'd be pissed if anytime I got to my destination but wasn't ready to get out of the vehicle but I didn't need the engine running (wasting gas) but was still using electronic consumers (like the radio/nav/phone/seat heaters/etc). I would be pissed if those things had to be shut down (when the engine is cut off with the 1st press of the START button)...then turned back on to provided accessory power.

Plus...if you didn't press the START button a 2nd time...when you exit the vehicle and lock the door...this turns off the accessory mode (check you owners manual in case BMW changed this in later years)

Again, the double press of the START button to shut the engine off, then turn off electronics is the same procedure that was used on cars for decades:

2. I believe this can be accomplished with coding. If you're not familiar with any of the BMW coding forums...just google "BMW coding forums". You'll find out how (or if you're optioned) to be able to code closing of your tailgate.

3. You didn't give any details as to what you think is flaky about the turn signals...but there are also options for how they operate, too. Have you delved into those selections to see if any are more to your liking? You can make selections in iDrive (check your paperback or the electronic manual you can access in iDrive).
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-04-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 2008 BMW X5
    You can open/close the tailgate using the button on the driver side door panel. When I first got my 2015 F15 I got stumped with the same issue until I learned it was me being impatient. To open the tail gate you simply push the button down once and it quickly opens. To shut the tail gate you need to pull up and maintain for a few seconds until it begins to close. You'd think the button would work in the opposite order - pull up to open; push down to close - but what can you say.

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Some Answers or different perspective:
    1. The procedure BMW uses with it START button is the same procedure that was used for decades with an ignition cylinder and key blade. You apparently don't like it...but I'd be pissed if anytime I got to my destination but wasn't ready to get out of the vehicle but I didn't need the engine running (wasting gas) but was still using electronic consumers (like the radio/nav/phone/seat heaters/etc). I would be pissed if those things had to be shut down (when the engine is cut off with the 1st press of the START button)...then turned back on to provided accessory power.

Plus...if you didn't press the START button a 2nd time...when you exit the vehicle and lock the door...this turns off the accessory mode (check you owners manual in case BMW changed this in later years)

Again, the double press of the START button to shut the engine off, then turn off electronics is the same procedure that was used on cars for decades:

2. I believe this can be accomplished with coding. If you're not familiar with any of the BMW coding forums...just google "BMW coding forums". You'll find out how (or if you're optioned) to be able to code closing of your tailgate.

3. You didn't give any details as to what you think is flaky about the turn signals...but there are also options for how they operate, too. Have you delved into those selections to see if any are more to your liking? You can make selections in iDrive (check your paperback or the electronic manual you can access in iDrive).

Thanks for the info. Myself, for the 99.9% of the time I stop, I just want everything turned off at once and don't want to rely on the car shutting things off when I open the door or hitting the button again.

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5
    Thanks for the info on the tailgate close from the door button! Shortly after I got the car, I had it in the dealership for more repairs and asked the BMW tech. He said BMW has never allowed closing the tailgate from the interior. I just thought he knew what he was talking about and appeared to confirm what I observed. But, just tried it and it works! Thanks!

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    I dont have an F15 but if you press and hold the start button, will it not shut everything off? It works that way in the E70

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets