Thread: Summers coming and I can't get in!

My Cars
    '01 Z8 '01 Z3 '12 528

Summers coming and I can't get in!

2001 Z3 6-cyl. Sun's finally coming out and the fob will lift and lower lock posts - therefore there's power - but when door's unlocked the handle doesn't engage and so door won't open. Both sides. Anybody know what's up?

My Cars
    96 Z3 Roadster
    my 96 seems to know if the doors were locked from the inside or outside, and the door must be opened from the same way it was locked. if i reach in through the open top and lock the doors, the outside handle won't open the door when i come back. i have to reach in and unlock from the inside. this is a very low optioned car, no fob

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Sometimes the catch won't release and needs to be lubed. Try lifting on the door while trying to open it.

See if this thread sounds like your issue - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...r+won%27t+open
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Push kinda against the door and up while you pull and it might release. Mine had a similar issue and that was it. Some white lithium or other good grease for door hinges should eliminate the issue. Dont use WD40 or Pb blaster, thats what I did the first time and it worked but doesn't last long

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by ihm96 View Post
    Push kinda against the door and up while you pull and it might release. Mine had a similar issue and that was it. Some white lithium or other good grease for door hinges should eliminate the issue. Dont use WD40 or Pb blaster, thats what I did the first time and it worked but doesn't last long
    If this works to open the door, you also need to put a bit of white lithium grease on the door catch. Also check to make sure the plastic is still on the car side of the catch.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    '01 Z8 '01 Z3 '12 528
    Thanks so much, folks! I'm in. I owe you a beer.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001Smitty View Post

___

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Isnt it the best feeling when a dreaded issue is such a simple fix?

Quote Originally Posted by 2001Smitty View Post

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    I wonder how many millions this forum has saved the collective member group in repair costs?
    This is nice thread to read.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose