Thread: E36 alarm problem

My Cars
    94' E36 325TD

E36 alarm problem

Hi
    Any help would be much appreciated
    So ive had MAJOR problems with my alarm system in my 94' e36.
    First when I bought it: the wireless key fob wasnt working and sometimes when the car was locked the car alarm randomly just came on..
    So I fixed them by grounding some red wire in the alarm box itself(some video I found on the internet explained this)..
    So everything was fine for 3 month or so then the car started to randomly not start.. Which got worse and in the end not want to start at all..

This issue turned out to be the alarm. The dealership fixed it by taking out some third party alarm that was in the car and told me that I shouldnt use the fob again..
    So the car was working for a while and so to speak still does. However now the alarm has started to come on again at times and also when I turn key to start position the hazard light comes on sometimes... Did that before too but worse now..

Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be? Could I take the alarm out and still have the central locking system working?

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    You describe your car as a 325TD, so I presume you're in Europe somewhere. If so, I'd head over to the Bimmerforums UK forums and read the following thread on Alarm Identification, as your OEM setup should still be partly existent, and you need to figure out what OE equipment is still in place: https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...3g-ews-t39173/

Some of the alarm systems fitted on earlier European E36s (e.g. the 3G Mk I and Mk II that originally had a "FOB with missing corner") were optional dealer equipment, and as a result, there will be splices in wiring where the system "piggy-backs" onto other systems to get its information. In theory, if the factory alarm is still present, but disused, you might be able to disconnect it & siren with no ill effect (and key off the siren beforehand, if you've the key to do so).

My Cars
    94' E36 325TD
    Thank you very much.
    I have the fob with the missing corner..
    Ok does that mean that I could take out the additional equipment for the fob and wire the original back to "normal" and it would work fine?

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    With the battery disconnected, I believe if you disconnect the siren & alarm module then you will have no further troubles. (On a side note, with the alarm connected - when reconnecting the battery, I have found having the key in the Accessory position stops the alarm from automatically arming. Not sure if this is because it senses locked doors, or what).

Hazard lights flashing when you key on says the system is having problems. When I (foolishly) removed the receiver module from my car's alarm unit it would produce the same results. Double-check that yours is correctly fitted - preferably with the battery disconnected as there is the chance of inadvertently shorting pins and arming the alarm!

If you have keys for the siren, use them to turn the siren off. That will give you (some) piece of mind will diddling around with this. If you don't have them, just hope the batteries in the siren are completely stuffed after all these years.

My Cars
    94' E36 325TD
    Thanks for the good answer