Thread: Considering aftermarket radio

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza

Considering aftermarket radio

Hi, I'm considering upgrading the stock stereo with an Alpine CDE 172 BT or something similar. I understand there is a switch that is activated by the stock radio that is linked to the alarm and remote locking. If I install the new radio do I just disconnect this switch?

Thanks

Tim

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Not a highly tech answer but from my previous experience of installing 2 aftermarket headunits in prior Z3. There is a sensor (“switch”) at the rear of the stock unit. There is a prong that extends ~2 inches from the back of the headunit which inserts into a receptacle that completes the circuit for the alarm. The remedy is to unscrew the prong and install it on your new unit and it should be fine. At least that was my experience-YMMV. (If I remember correctly there is a threaded hole on the aftermarket units which corresponds to the location needed). There are likely more knowledgable individuals who may provide more information.

My Cars
    -
    I would be curious about a picture of this switch. Previous owner installed an Alpine radio in my car, and when I had out some time ago I didn't see a switch anywhere.

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd72 View Post
    Not a highly tech answer but from my previous experience of installing 2 aftermarket headunits in prior Z3. There is a sensor (“switch”) at the rear of the stock unit. There is a prong that extends ~2 inches from the back of the headunit which inserts into a receptacle that completes the circuit for the alarm. The remedy is to unscrew the prong and install it on your new unit and it should be fine. At least that was my experience-YMMV. (If I remember correctly there is a threaded hole on the aftermarket units which corresponds to the location needed). There are likely more knowledgable individuals who may provide more information.
    Thanks, that seems to be the understanding I have at the moment. Just curious if the stereo I'm considering has a threaded hole for this prong to be utilized. I've e-mailed Crutchfield to see if they have any knowledge about this.

tim

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Please let us know what you learn, thanks. I have TrafficPro, have been considering a similar swap to add BT. But the TP works and look is stock.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Just stick a sharpie lid into the hole that accepts the prong and don't bother trying to emulate the original prong on the new radio.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by me77 View Post
    I would be curious about a picture of this switch. Previous owner installed an Alpine radio in my car, and when I had out some time ago I didn't see a switch anywhere.
    Switch:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...sue-with-Radio
    The prong on the radio holds the switch open. For an aftermarket radio, either use the prong or devise a plug to hold the switch open, or this post says to disconnect the switch:
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...09&postcount=3
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    I completely eliminated mine as part of "The great wiring simplification project of 2018".
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.