Thread: Centrol locking fault code passenger's door

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i

Centrol locking fault code passenger's door

I just scanned my 2002 530i as part of an upcoming oil service, and came up with the following fault:
    "ZKE Central body electronics - GM Central-locking drive, passenger's door".
    This is the second time this fault has come up, last time was about a year ago.
    All the functions of the central locking seems to be working fine, I haven't noticed anything wrong.
    So I'm wondering what this information means.
    Does it mean the GM (General Module) is failing?
    Or does it mean the passenger door lock actuator is failing?
    What should I do in response to the fault?
    I have searched online and the only references I find are of something actually not working, which is not the case for me.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    Don't worry about it.
    It might mean that in 5 years your doors will not unlock by remote, only by key.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Clear the code and keep driving until the door won't unlock. Then you can fix it.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Thanks, yes I cleared the code.
    The concern I have is that if I wait until the door won't unlock, I won't be able to open the door to get to the lock actuator to replace it.
    Any thoughts on that?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nope that shouldn't be a danger.

As you might have noticed, the doors mechanically will unlock when you pull the handle inside. The only exception is if you have a habit of doing the 'double lock' with the remote, in which case, well, maybe dont' do that anymore... but since its intermittent error at the moment you're probably OK for a while. If you notice it really stops unlocking on the regular, then indeed maybe you want to fix it.

Here's what you need to know when you decide to tackle it:
    • The GM is the 'brains' of the operation and talks over a communication "P-bus" to a whole bunch of 'sub modules'.
    • Each door has a module in it that then controls the windows and locks 'locally'. The GM doesn't directly open locks or windows, it commands those modules to do it and they execute the task.
    • Those modules are then directly wired to the window motors and locks

So your problem probably isn't the GM or bus (since everything else is working as far as we know).
    This is just a guess but I suspect if there was a wiring problem TO the passenger door module, you'd probably get a different error (not specifically 'locking').
    Maybe the passenger door module is indeed failing, or,
    Maybe it has a wiring failure going to the lock, and/or, maybe the lock actuator itself is failing, and either way the passenger door module is recognizing this issue.

HTH.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1999 5281
    are not the rear door locks controlled directly from the GM internal relays, and the front door locks over the P-Bus?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Derp.

Reading fail!!

yes REAR doors do not have modules.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 03-04-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Thanks geargrinder, that was very helpful.
    I checked the door locks multiple times and they all operate in unison, none slower than the others as far as I can discern.
    The full fault code is "ZKE Central body electronics - 5E GM Central-locking drive, passenger's door".
    I omitted the 5E earlier.
    In the meantime I had looked further and I found a website that is a repair service for BMW electronics and has a lot of information on this, it is:
    http://www.bmwgm5.com/
    The link only takes you to the main page, you have to click through to access the information.
    Some of what I found (which is in line with what you said):

The BMW GM III is used on several cars such as the E38 7-series 1995-2001, E39 5-series 1995-2003 and the E53 X5 1999-2006 series. The GM3 does not supply power to the front door lock motors or the front window motors. They are instead connected via the P-Bus to the PM-FT/SB modules, one in each of the two front doors. The PM-FT/SB modules detect the state of the key cylinder via two hall effect sensors and the open/closed state of the door via another hall sensor. Each PM module is responsible for powering the door lock motors and the window motor. The door lock motors are powered by an H-bridge power MOSFET output circuit. This is good since MOSFETs do not wear out like relays. The windows are still powered by relays.

The PM modules are used on cars that use the BMW GM3 module like the E38 7-series 1994-2001 and E39 5-series 1995-2004. The E53 X5 also has a set of PM modules, but, they are integrated with the door control panels. There is one PM module in each of the Front Doors. The driver's door has PM-FT module and the front passenger door has a PM-BT module. The module is connected to the GM3 through the P-Bus. It controls the door lock, window motor, mirror motors and mirror heater. It senses the seat memory switch, door latch, window switch and mirror adjust switch and controls the appropriate motor directly and/or notifies the GM3 module via the P-Bus.

So I agree with you that the PM-BT module or the door actuator are prime suspects.
    I'm going to email bmwgm5.com and see what they say.
    I will update soon.
    Last edited by Pwells; 03-05-2019 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Ha ha yeah that's just a long winded version of what I already toleya. Honestly you prob need to pull the door card and check wires but maybe he'll have a specific knowledge on the 5E...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    I got an answer from Scott Johnson at http://www.bmwgm5.com/:

"5E is a problem with the STZV line from the PM-BT module.
    It could be a problem with the PM-BT module or the wiring harness that contains the STZV line or the motor that is driven by the STZV line.
    It cannot give you the exact cause of the problem, but, this information in the hands of a trained professional will give then a place to start looking.
    It in no way points to a problem with the general module."

My Cars
    E39

My 2001 e39 525i touring passenger door locking and window won't work.

The fuse in the glove box was blowen , i changed it a couple of time but it blows as soon as i hit the window switch. I changer the module as some suggested that didn't fix the problem. I read some where here as well that the fuel door may have something to do with , my fuel door lock is not working as well now that I checked it , I am gonna try disconnecting it today and see if the fuse will blow again. Please any suggestions will be so appreciated.
    PS. I just received a recall from BMW USA 🇺🇸 for the driver side air bag , has anyone else ?
    Thank you gentlemen