Thread: M52 Swap Questions

My Cars
    E30 318i

M52 Swap Questions

Hi fellas,

currently I have a 1990 318i sedan with M40 engine. I don't think this engine is available in the US, but it is common here in Indonesia. I bought this car as a project car and planning on doing a simple swap and hopefully daily it after the swap. So, I will still need all the creature comfort features (like air con, radio, etc).

The engine of choice is M52B25. Why? because again it is plentiful here and therefore pretty reasonably priced. And if I need more power, stroker kits are also available. I have several questions regarding the swap, since this will be my first engine swap.

first question is, what are the main components that need to be replaced in order to make the car run and driveable? (excluding the suspension and brakes, which will be changed) I mean, things like driveshaft perhaps? what about diff?

second question, is it possible to keep the factory air con? looking at the dimension of the 6 cylinder engine, I think it is gonna be tight in there. Not sure whether the engine will eat into the bulkhead where the blower sits.

any other major changes I need to consider?
    I'm not gonna be doing the swap in my garage myself. But I think it is good to know what will be done before somebody tear my car apart.

Thanks for your help

My Cars
    99 M3

M52 Swap Questions

It would be best to buy a doner car so that you can salvage what will be required for AC (pump, bracket, lines and condenser) and power steering (lines and pump and bracket.)

You are going to most likely need the engine harness, ECU, and cluster. The ECU will have to be aligned the the cars EWS module.
    The transmission, linkage, transmission support, drive shaft, differential and half-shafts.
    Pedal box if you are going 5-speed, clutch master, slave, and lines.

Www.realoem.com is going to be your friend.
    Use the last seven of your VIN and that of the doner car to research shared parts.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 02-28-2019 at 12:22 AM.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    It’s a well documented swap, so google and youtube around I’d say.
    This site always has some good info too: https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/inde...ine_Swap_-_M5x
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    It would be best to buy a doner car so that you can salvage what will be required for AC (pump, bracket, lines and condenser) and power steering (lines and pump and bracket.)

You are going to most likely need the engine harness, ECU, and cluster. The ECU will have to be aligned the the cars EWS module.
    The transmission, linkage, transmission support, drive shaft, differential and half-shafts.
    Pedal box if you are going 5-speed, clutch master, slave, and lines.

Www.realoem.com is going to be your friend.
    Use the last seven of your VIN and that of the doner car to research shared parts.
    Thank you for your reply and thanks for the link.
    OK so here's what the shop told me. They will source a complete engine which means M52B25 engine with manual gearbox, ECU, AC compressor, power steering, radiator, boosters and other bits and bobs. So all the supporting components like AC and power steering from the engine are reused. Not sure how they do it, but he assured me that he could. Things that are need modding the engine mounts, gearbox mount, and the driveshaft. Oh and my car is a manual from factory. So I dont think pedal box is neccessary

does this sound marginally right to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    It’s a well documented swap, so google and youtube around I’d say.
    This site always has some good info too: https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/inde...ine_Swap_-_M5x
    Wow, this is awesome..thanks alot mate