Thread: 98 E36 M3 Coupe..my new drift build...

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe

Cool 98 E36 M3 Coupe..my new drift build...

So I got a 1998 E36 M3, was contemplating this or a 350Z, but went with this because of the price, and overall just used to BMW's. The car has Bilstien B6's paired with H&R springs, M50 Manifold, Electric fan, OMP Steering wheel and NRG Seats, all brand new not installed by the previous owner, but i bought them with the car. This car has high miles, 235k, when i went to go purchase it, i brought my friend with me who knows a bit too much about BMW's, he gave me the green light to buy it. The car came with a stash of service receipts i saw somewhere that the rear strut mounts have been replaced, I'm pretty sure thats also one of the things you'd wanna get replaced, but for the most part its extremely clean, no rust at all, car was in cali for a small period of time. I think I'm a lot closer to getting seat time than i think i am, but i feel like theres a couple important things i should do before tryna get this thing sideways. This will be my first drift build ever, so I'm asking for some advice, I've read people talking about subframes, subframe bushings, and welding some reinforcement something LOL, idk, how much would that even cost to do? , but yeah i'd like some guidance on what i should take care of.
    I know i should do cooling system, and pretty much try and do motor mounts, tranny mounts change them both to poly etc. I havent tried to do anything crazy with it yet, but I'm aware it has an LSD, but I'm not sure if it locks or not, Should i get it welded or look into a new one, or should it be just fine?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved from the E36 M3 sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    oh sorry lol
    Last edited by shumileswift; 02-26-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: figured why

My Cars
    LS E46
    Paragraphs are your friend. Skimmed through some of that wall of text but the best advice is to just do lots of searching. These forums are more for posting your build process than for having someone tell you every step. If you can’t figure most of this stuff out yourself, you may be in the wrong business.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    at 250k plus miles it would be a good idea to do bushings and at the least check out the subframe mounting points to see if there's any obvious signs of issues with the mount.

I got quoted about 2k (condor speed shop parts and labor from a local shop) for subframe bushings, rtab bushings, diff bushings, rtab reinforcements, subframe reinforcements, and my dual caliper setup (parts for the hydro wasn't included in the price, just install). A lot of people on here switch over to electric fan with a lower t stat and a water pump with a metal impeller, wouldnt be a bad idea to start with the cooling mods there.

Hope that gives you a little idea of things to think about starting with. Check out a few build thread in here, a lot of them will cover most of the obvious stuff

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Your car is an m3... it already has the subframe attachment points reinforced. However, with those miles, you'd be well off replacing the subframe bushings with something a little stiffer, as well as replacing the RTABs.

As far as the diff, it's super easy to find a non-M 3.91 ratio diff (commonly found in auto 328's), get it welded, and throw it into your car. You'll need to use the output stubs from your m3 diff to make it bolt up to the axles, but that takes like 5 seconds to swap.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Oh, interesting, so the LSD is just OK for drifting, you'd rather it be an open diff that has been welded?

My Cars
    LS E46
    Don’t weld your dif. That’s novice crap. Build up your stock 2-disc into a stiff 3-disc, it’s extremely easy to do yourself and will be just as predictable as a welded on the track but won’t snap your axles pulling into the parking lot.

- - - Updated - - -

You also don’t need 3.91 gears; you’re in a 240hp M3, not a 120hp 318.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    In my experience, 3 clutches wear funny. It works though. 3.91 gearing is fine for an M3. I say do it. You'll learn. It's a cheap mod.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?