Thread: need help finding M52b28 or head or cut bait?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

need help finding M52b28 or head or cut bait?

UPDATE: Cut bait! The head casting is junk so I'm done.
    All of the gaskets, hoses, etc. were purchased and it is now too late to return them.
    For anyone else that is doing this job I will sell it all at a big discount from the already hard shopped prices I paid.

'97 528i, 152k miles, aside a cracked head no issues and in nice condition.
    I can get my hands on a re-man head and do the repair for a whisper under $1k, a significant portion the car's resale value. Doesn't make much financial sense.
    Usual protocol in this instance would be to source a good used engine or head but none on the horizon near me (Chicago) and I won't buy an unknown from a wrecker. The bummer is I've sold off two of these engines, cheap, complete and running well in the past year or so. Now, none around me.

What to do?

Meanwhile, it gets pushed aside as I've bought another car.
    Last edited by ross1; 03-25-2019 at 11:25 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    As a seasoned poster, you have heard it all before.

Forget about resale value, what is it worth to you?

I would wait until you find a cheap used car with a running M52 engine in your local area. do a compression test on the engine. Use the engine and part, sell or scrap the rest of it.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Might also want to check the E36 forums. I believe the M50TU head is identical and a swap to an M52. (There might be something about # of sensor ports, but I don't remember.)

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Have you checked http://www.car-part.com ?

There are 9 unknowns within 60 miles of you, and a few running a little further away.
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post

There are 9 unknowns within 60 miles of you, and a few running a little further away.
    …I think they are guaranteed …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    …I think they are guaranteed …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Car-part is just a junkyard search engine. Any guarantees are up to the yard.

For what I refer to as 'unknowns' the descriptions are either missing or say something like 'security no start no key', 'need start', etc. However, the ones further away from Chicago have descriptions like 'nice runner', 'runs good', etc.

You could also check out Bavarian Auto Recycling. They're a vendor on the forums.
    http://www.bmrparts.com/used_bmw_engines.html
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    As a seasoned poster, you have heard it all before.

Forget about resale value, what is it worth to you?

I would wait until you find a cheap used car with a running M52 engine in your local area. do a compression test on the engine. Use the engine and part, sell or scrap the rest of it.
    It's utility value exceeds it's "book" value but I still hate being upside down. I'm not going to put another G into it no matter what.
    Ideally I will sit tight until a wreck comes along or some other opportunity presents itself. I thought about parting it out but I've done that before and requires lots of time, space and patience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post

Thanks for the lead, I don't much trust junkyards but I'll look into what they have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jmc1590 View Post
    Might also want to check the E36 forums. I believe the M50TU head is identical and a swap to an M52. (There might be something about # of sensor ports, but I don't remember.)
    excellent idea. I remember seeing something about two different casting #s(mine ends 400)that interchange. I'll remember to check the sensor # and locations.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Too late for me to return purchased parts to fix this.
    For anyone doing their M50tu or M52 head I'm now stuck with all the gaskets, hoses, blah, blah. PM me for a great deal on these items