Thread: N54 wont start

My Cars
    2010 BMW 535I

N54 wont start

I need some help before I go deeper into the engine. I have a 2010 535I N54 E60. I got a P0012 "A" Crank shaft Position- Timing Over Retarded (Bank 1) code. The engine when it would first crank would say low oil pressure and then the warning would go off. The car would then go into limp mode. After driving it and cranking it back up later, it would run fine and there would not be any codes. I cleaned both Vanos solenoids and checked them to makes sure they were working with a 9volt battery. I put them back in and the car did not give me any codes nor went into limp mode. I took it for a test drive and it drove fine for about a mile and then it shut down giving me a dynamic stability control light. The car would not start back. All of the lights will work and the car will act normal, but when I push the start button, it will not start. I can hear the starter act like it wants to engage, but there is not any turning of the motor. The two items that I have come down to are that the camshaft position sensor is bad or the motor has destroyed itself. Can the camshaft sensor shut the engine down completely like I have described? I was not able to turn the crank by hand with a ratchet in either direction. Will the sensor cause the motor to lock like that? Any help on this or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    No, a sensor cannot mechanically lock the engine. You've been getting low oil pressure warnings and continued to drive the vehicle. If you can't turn the crank, it's because you seized the engine due to lack of lubrication. Time for a new engine.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Motor is toast, time for a rebuild.