Thread: Any tricks to get the throttle cable out?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3

Any tricks to get the throttle cable out?

Hi, folks!

I'm nearing the end of a coolant system refresh and CCV rebuild, and noticed the throttle cable was starting to crack and rust. With the cable already being disconnected from the throttle body, seemed like a good idea to just yank it and replace. But I'm looking at it both from the engine bay, and from under the dash, and I really can't tell how this thing is supposed to come out or go back in.

The throttle cable snakes behind the brake servo unit, and then under/behind the dash. But it doesn't seem to want to move at all in either direction. The ball-end of the cable looks like its too big to pass through to under the dash, and the hook end of the cable looks too big to pass through the hole in the firewall.

What's the best way to remove this? Do I have to take out the brake servo? Or do I just need to be a little more "persuasive"?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    I did it some time back and can feel your pain on taking this out. The plastic clip on the pedal area is a *.* to take it out. No need to take the brake servo out. Also i have the exact same car as yours. 2000 2.3.

From the pedal area, disconnect the cable first. Then push the plastic clip on the metal body. I had to hammer it out using an 3/8" extension. It was brittle and will break.. Once it is out, it will easily come out via the brake servo area. Then extend the metal cable and there is enough space to fish it through the hole. Once you attach the cable to the pedal, push the plastic part from the engine bay. use a flash light at the pedal area to see the hole clearly from the engine compartment.

Good luck..

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I had actually made a tool to compress those tabs, and even that doesn't work...

Brute force does however, and since it's being replaced anyway, I just YANK them out from the engine compartment. As saneesh8 says, do remember to disconnect it from the pedal first.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    A belated update: I was able to extract the old cable and replace it with a shiny new one.

I wasn't able to yank the cable from the engine compartment, but I was able to hammer it out from inside the car using a 3/8 extension. It really helped to snip the cable first and pull that out, so the extension could get a good fit over the plastic clip.

Some snipping helped a little, but you don't really have access around there for any tools. Just get an extension in there and hammer away.

Thanks all, for the advice!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Thanks for the update..

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post
    A belated update: I was able to extract the old cable and replace it with a shiny new one.

I wasn't able to yank the cable from the engine compartment, but I was able to hammer it out from inside the car using a 3/8 extension. It really helped to snip the cable first and pull that out, so the extension could get a good fit over the plastic clip.

Some snipping helped a little, but you don't really have access around there for any tools. Just get an extension in there and hammer away.

Thanks all, for the advice!
    Bump - I found another way since I couldn't get enough of a hammer throw to bust it out. I used a 1/2 wood bore bit with my battery drill. I came at it from an angle (drill on outboard side of steering column) and just mangled it until I could yank it out from the top side.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E