Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: E39 5.3L Turbo Swap

My Cars
    BMW 525i

E39 5.3L Turbo Swap

Follow me on Instagram at Lantz_E39

I'm starting my E39 swap. I have a 2002 325i, using Josh (JF) mounts, 5.3L engine and T56.

I've been looking at a bunch of swaps on here but have a couple questions about accessory clearances.

I'm going to swap to an LS1 manifold for clearance which means getting rid of the truck accessories which already don't clear.

Where I'd like some guidance is I plan to use the truck exhaust manifolds as the turbo manifolds (flipped down). I want to keep A/C which is where it looks like it gets tricky. From what I can gather the flipped manifolds won't clear AC with stock flanges. I was planning to weld on Vbands as is so that's ok. Will I be able to clear the A/C after welding though?

Also I plan to use lsxinnovation accessory mounts or similar. I have the ability to reroute the accessories just the A/C high mount gets expensive. I dont see
    moving to corvette/fbody depths that important, I gets me an inch between the radiator at most I believe.

Curious to hear what people doing similar swaps have run into as a best route. I'm willing to spend more to make it work better but would like the feedback first.
    Last edited by Lantz; 02-23-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    2002 BMW 525i - 6.6L LS Turbo Swap
    Follow me on Instagram at @LantzFab
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Excited to see the progress. You going twins or single?

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Single with a goal around 500 hp. I’m going to do my best to keep things simple. So completely stock engine (besides injectors).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I did an LS4 manifold on the passenger side. It does not allow the stock LS compressor to fit. Went with an R4 compressor on the top of passenger side.

If I had to do it over again, would probably go with the Hooker LS swap turbo manifolds. I have them for my new build and really like how much cleaner it makes the turbo kit. I put the turbo on the drivers side on my e39 and the Hooker manifolds dump on the passenger side. A T4 based turbo should work fine this way in an E39. It will be tight though. If you can get away with a 3” down-pipe, it will be much easier to fit past the engine mounts.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    I looked at those and a couple others but that was a long time ago. Maybe I’ll just go that route too with a high mount ac.

Do you have any pictures?

Also meant to post these for reference for anyone in the future looking at clearances.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Editing post to note that the hooker manifolds require cutting Josh's, JesusFreaks, mounts to fit. I didn't notice initially. You will need to cut about a 1" x 1" section out of the very top. They are beefy mounts so its not hurting anything.

Everything fits

Last edited by Lantz; 05-01-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    The hooker stuff looks great! Looks like a stock low mount A/C compressor is a no-go which is a bummer for sure. I wonder if the crossover tube would clear my sway bar....

Lantz, looking forward to seeing your build progress!

S.F.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    The AC is no big deal but its good to start getting things mocked up to see what the limitations are. I wasn't planning on making this a build thread but I do plan to compile all my notes for a sticky. There is good info, just all over the place.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Very eeeeenteresting. I wonder if any of the Tial v-band housings match the Hooker v-band. Anyone with a good eye think those will fit in an e46 chassis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1999 528i
    I’m in the planning stages for a very similar swap now. Do you follow Matt Happel’s stuff at Sloppy Mechanics? I think I’m going to use his basic turbo formula (78/75 VS Racing turbo, walbro 450, PAC 1218 springs and the SS2 cam) and I’m going to try and use a CD009 transmission with an adapter and shifter relocation. Good find on those headers. What injectors are you planning on getting?

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by CvilleTallman View Post
    I’m in the planning stages for a very similar swap now. Do you follow Matt Happel’s stuff at Sloppy Mechanics? I think I’m going to use his basic turbo formula (78/75 VS Racing turbo, walbro 450, PAC 1218 springs and the SS2 cam) and I’m going to try and use a CD009 transmission with an adapter and shifter relocation. Good find on those headers. What injectors are you planning on getting?

I'm doing the same thing basically but decided I didn't want to deal with a cam. VS racing 78/75, pac 1218s, deka 80 injectors.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Nice. The motor I buy might make the decision. If I find a reasonably priced 6.0 I’ll probably go NA, but if I get a steal on a 4.8 or 5.3 I’ll go the Denmah route.

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    subscribed, looks good with those headers

My Cars
    BMW 525i

The ict billet high mount ac kit fits! The back top of the bracket is barley touching the hood lining.

I also stumbled on a fitting backer from March performance if I can’t get the lines to fit.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantz View Post

The ict billet high mount ac kit fits! The back top of the bracket is barley touching the hood lining.

I also stumbled on a fitting backer from March performance if I can’t get the lines to fit.

Thats awesome!! If it fits, it ships!

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Thats awesome!! If it fits, it ships!
    I think I hit the stage where you decided the turbo should go on the drivers side. I was thinking about trying it out on pass side but there is too much going on in that area.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    That’s why mine ended up where it did. It seems like there is a lot of room until you put the accessories on. I saw an install on a Fox Mustang that Holley did with those manifolds and the turbo was on the drivers side. They ran a single pipe from the vband over to the drivers side. Should work just fine. What turbo are you going to use?

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    That’s why mine ended up where it did. It seems like there is a lot of room until you put the accessories on. I saw an install on a Fox Mustang that Holley did with those manifolds and the turbo was on the drivers side. They ran a single pipe from the vband over to the drivers side. Should work just fine. What turbo are you going to use?

Yup that’s my plan. I got a 7875 from vs racing. Lot smaller then what you’re running if I’m not mistaken.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    It’s significantly smaller. You will thank yourself for that as it will be much less trouble to install. I’m excited to see how you set it up!

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    hey, how are u going to run the throttle cable, brand new from the pedal? oh and if u were the one with blue coil-overs what brand are they.
    Last edited by mrallande5020; 04-29-2019 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallande5020 View Post
    hey, how are u going to run the throttle cable, brand new from the pedal? oh and if u were the one with blue coil-overs what brand are they.
    I have a lokar cable i'm going to use and the blue coil-overs was not me.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    BMW 525i

Well changed my mind again for now. This makes the lower radiator hose a pain. I rerouted the precharge pump and accessories are already purchased so the driver side didn’t work with the stock radiator. Going to see how this route works.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Update on progress with some notes for future people. It may be hard to see but the turbo inlet is really close to the wheel well. I'll have to notch it or I thought of doing a custom airbox out of sheet metal with a flat filter. So it fits but like others swaps has it compromises. The pipe going underneath Josh's (jesus freaks) mounts has a bunch of bends to make it fit. When you put on the crossover tube for the hooker headers and the starter in there is very little room. As you can see on the turbine side, there is also lot of bends to make it fit. I had to notch the engine mounts at the top to fit the hooker headers, didn't notice initially since everything was loose fitted but it needed about an inch triangle taken out. Won't hurt the structure of the mounts, they are really beefy. Custom mounts that are slimmer would really help this setup. The lower radiator hose is really tight. I'm going to get a older style radiator from a 540i that has the smooth, not clip, fittings. The thermostat outlet is a straight fitting that will go through the turbine inlet and downpipe. I'm pretty set that I will need a scavenge pump for the turbo oil return. I'm going to see if I can tap the pan in another spot but its not looking good.

Although there looks like a lot of room on the driver side, between the frame rail and the alternator/radiator inlet there is actually very little room. When I place the turbo there during mock ups it hit. I would need to go to corvette style alternator brackets and spacing. I would have also needed to get a custom radiator with inlet on the other side. I was also concerned that the piping would still be tricky since the hooker outlet is high and the downpipe needs to go lower.

So pick your poison, I wasn't confident that the drivers side would be any easier, or even fit, and I would have needed all new accessories.

Josh's mounts work with the T56 magnum. The shifter is about 7" too far forward. I am using a sikky shifter that sets it back but I needed to remove the center console and cut a giant rectangle out so the shifter linkage doesn't hit the tunnel. I'll need to make a sheet metal cover that is about an inch raised up.

The ICT billet high mount does hit the hood lining. I may need to notch the hood structure slightly at the high spots but the pulley has tons of room. I got the compressor for 100 bucks and the bracket was 125 I believe so not too bad for AC.

Also kinda wish I bought a standalone harness. It has been time consuming to modify the stock truck harness to work with the T56 magnum and EV6 injectors.

Last edited by Lantz; 05-04-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Wow, great progress. It all looks good.

Thanks for the tip on March Performance for AC stuff.
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Looks surprisingly crowded. Great work. I think I might try for a log manifold from Fahler Performance or Trick or something like that. Hopefully it’ll sit higher and avoid AC. I like having the crossover (and all the associated heat) behind the engine.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast