Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E39 5.3L Turbo Swap

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    I have M5 bumpers on the way. The badge will probably go too. Just trying to break it in a little. I have a dyno scheduled in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2002 BMW 525i - 6.6L LS Turbo Swap
    Follow me on Instagram at @LantzFab
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    2003 325ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantz View Post

Some pictures of coolant lines for other swaps.

Amazing build, very impressive! I'll definitely be following along

Got some questions though, and I apologize if you had covered this in your posts, i must've missed it. But, where did you get that coolant reservoir? that thing is awesome. And i just wanted to make sure i was seeing this correctly, you've got the bottom, larger port of the reservoir T'd into a heater hose? and one of the uppers to the steam vent/throttle body. I too am using an ls6 intake and DBC throttle body.

Thank you for sharing your build, definitely providing some good motivation and source for ideas! Here's a link to my build https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...time-e46-owner
    Project : 2003 325ci Coupe, Steel Blue, E46 (swap) genIII chevy v-8 swap (iron block, LM7, 5.3L). Daily : 2016 2-door, 6mt, Deep Black Pearl, MK7 GTI. Catless down pipe, front mount twin-cooler, BFI mounts, BFI stage 2 'daily' clutch w/ light weight flywheel, + Burger Motorsports JB4 tuned for a 30% ethanol mix, 13.6 sec 1/4mi @ 107mph. Parts Transport : 1992 Toyota Pickup, rattle can green, 22re, 5spd manual.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecId=28373

That’s the link to the tank but there were cheaper sources online. Yes the heater lines are T’d in the picture and go to the tank and coolant pump. Then the steam vent from engine T’s into the radiator and tank.

Last edited by Lantz; 01-05-2020 at 11:15 PM.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    BMW 525i

Well, saw this coming. Guess that’s what I get for not spending time to address it. My original setup was a Camaro alternator but I decided to put on the truck alternator that came with my engine (it was bigger ). That made finding the correct belt size hard so I compromised to get it running. I ended up throwing the belt. Well I guess shredding is a better description. Some wrapped around my crank pulley so hope I didn’t get pulled in or ruin the seal too much. I decided to just “send it” instead of investigating. It also ripped up my exhaust wrap when it flopped around. Luckily no damage to the electric fan, sensors or hoses. I was able to limp home and it was starting to misfire when I pulled into my driveway! I learned from my last swap and got a AAA membership so at least I had that as a last resort .

I put the Camaro alternator back on and used a 90 inch belt for anyone thinking of using a similar setup in the future. I used a plastic trim pry bar to get it over the idler below the alt/ps pump. You can see in the picture with the tensioner marks it is tight now. Before it was at the last mark which I knew was bad. Went on a pretty long drive with no more issues.

Didn’t take pictures but I’m in the process of repairing all the vapor barriers. I may buy new door cards too. The rear doors were leaking bad and the driver rear door card is basically brittle from all the water over the years.

No other problems other then it keeps raining... I was planning to start driving to work to get some miles on it but it’s raining all week then possible snow next weekend.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    1998 328I
    LOL on the belt!

Glad to see this thing running!

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Awesome build. I just got me a e39 wagon and this is inspiration. I love how the manifolds fit easily. However, you think the non turbo manifolds will fit as well?

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/8502HKR

Also, this means it'll fit in e38s as well right?

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchiz318 View Post
    Awesome build. I just got me a e39 wagon and this is inspiration. I love how the manifolds fit easily. However, you think the non turbo manifolds will fit as well?

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/8502HKR

Also, this means it'll fit in e38s as well right?
    Don’t see why they wouldn’t. Holly sells the drivers side turbo manifold separate so worst case you can buy that. Only difference would be vband vs flange.

I can’t confirm fitment but amazon sells them and their returns are a breeze.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Looks great, man. Good work.

Quick question: did you go with the Autokraft pan that JF recommends?

I’m about to buy:

LM7 5.3
    Z32 trans
    GeForce adapter for that trans
    Oil pan

So I can start mocking up for my own mounts.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Ya I used the autocraft pan.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    BMW 525i

Weather is killing me. It’s been raining basically non-stop all week and it’s snowing next week...

Start putting the interior back together. Waiting on vapor barriers to reseal the rear doors. Somehow my IHKA stoped working? It wasn’t sending a signal to the FSU. The new IHKA fixed it. When I was diagnosing it, the FSU looked like a generic so I decided to throw a proper one in. So I got heat again! Put some new door seals on, mine were pretty bad.

Got M5 bumpers and my new cold side V2 back from welder.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Looking good man!

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Well, the front crank seal was destroyed by the belt mishap. Got back from a short drive and saw some smoke, the crank was flinging oil on the exhaust. Got a new seal in and she is good to go.

Finished up some of the interior. The doors are all resealed and I got new doors panels. Installed a Avant 4 so I have wireless car play!

Got some new led lights for garage, I can’t believe I waited this long for new lights. They were 55 bucks on amazon! Also got 240v wired up and a electric heater to compliment the propane heater. I can get the garage nice and toasty with the propane and use the electric to keep it warm.

The M5 front bumper has clearance issues so I decided I’d hold off fitting it until I get tuned... and if nothing blows up.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    95 bmw 318i
    following, amazing thread you've made here. I'm looking to do a similar swap and will definitely be pinning this thread on my favorites bar.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Did you get your a/c going? If not, how do you go about making it work?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get your a/c going? If bout, how do you go about making it work?

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    [QUOTE=ponchiz318;30400331]Did you get your a/c going? If not, how do you go about making it work?

Not yet, that's a project for another time.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    BMW 525i

E39 5.3L Turbo Swap

Change my accessory drive yet again haha. Just added a manual tensioner so I don’t worry about the belt flipping off again.

My license plate light wasn’t coming on, found out I have the problem where the wires split in the loom.

Also trimmed my bumper to fit the intercooler. I had to trim about 1.5” off the lower edge. I left the top in tact.

I have a lot hinging on getting to the dyno before other progress can be made. It’s been raining/snowing so it’s really slowed progress. I need to finish breaking in the trans/clutch before I get my dyno tune.

Last edited by Lantz; 02-05-2020 at 11:47 PM.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    2001 740il
    this is just fantastic

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Do you think you would be able to Run truck manifold and accessories if you were going NA? Wondering if I can make all truck stuff work without figment issues

My Cars
    95 m3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladkurk View Post
    Do you think you would be able to Run truck manifold and accessories if you were going NA? Wondering if I can make all truck stuff work without figment issues

Manifold definitely is a no go. Truck spacing accessories will work, alternator will need too high and will have interference with tb and rad hose with truck water pump. It's makes brackets for every accessory package at affordable prices.

Lantz, great job on the swap. Bet its killer on the street.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by mentaleeill View Post
    Manifold definitely is a no go. Truck spacing accessories will work, alternator will need too high and will have interference with tb and rad hose with truck water pump. It's makes brackets for every accessory package at affordable prices.

Lantz, great job on the swap. Bet its killer on the street.
    Ya the truck intake will not fit with JF mounts. Alternator is of course no go as well. I did see someone else that made their own custom mounts and got it too fit. It was pushed further back and lower though.

The driver side turbo header fit which I think is basically the same casting as a stock but with a vband? I think if your willing to do some welding you could make stock truck headers fit.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    BMW 525i

I ditched the poly trans mount. I had horrible vibrations and putting a stock rubber mount on fixed it. I heard poly mounts loosen up after some miles but the vibrations were so bad it rattled all my trim...

My advice, stick we rubber mounts.

Playing around with a bigger air filter. Later on I want to put coilovers on and I think it will hit the bump out I have for the air filter. At some point I think I need to have my turbo modified so it has a slight upward angle.

I’m up to about 350 miles without any problems besides the belt. Crossed fingers for no horrible weather for my dyno day.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Looking good! Yeah it would of been cool to make the truck stuff work but I guess I’m just gonna go with ls6 intake Manifold and buy some brackets for F body accessories. Excited to see how much you’ll be putting down on dyno day.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladkurk View Post
    Looking good! Yeah it would of been cool to make the truck stuff work but I guess I’m just gonna go with ls6 intake Manifold and buy some brackets for F body accessories. Excited to see how much you’ll be putting down on dyno day.

That’s what I did, ls6 intake. Shooting for 500, my clutch is maxed at 550. In hindsight I should have done a twin disc. I feel like I’m going to want more power later.

Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    Super sick! You gotta film this thing on the dyno and on the streets. Maybe even a build breakdown?

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallande5020 View Post
    Super sick! You gotta film this thing on the dyno and on the streets. Maybe even a build breakdown?
    I know, I'm overdue for a video on here. I'll feel more comfortable doing some rips after the dyno tune.
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast