Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! engine screaming!

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5

Help!!! engine screaming!

Just started up the car after valve cover job and the engine was screaming! Thought it was the belts at first so let it run for about 30 seconds until a ton of smoke was coming out the exhaust. The screaming was clearly not the belts and was coming from engine.
    Almost as if there was no lubrication to the top end?
    Please tell me I didnt F*** something up badly!
    What's my next move here?
    Please help!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Quote Originally Posted by nrp22101 View Post
    Just started up the car after valve cover job and the engine was screaming! Thought it was the belts at first so let it run for about 30 seconds until a ton of smoke was coming out the exhaust. The screaming was clearly not the belts and was coming from engine.
    Almost as if there was no lubrication to the top end?
    Please tell me I didnt F*** something up badly!
    What's my next move here?
    Please help!

I think you need to add more details about what you did exactly... valve stem seals? Banjo bolts? Serviced fuel injectors?

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Sounds like something got in there that shouldn't have. Probably will have to open it up again and look inside.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by BMSman View Post
    I think you need to add more details about what you did exactly... valve stem seals? Banjo bolts? Serviced fuel injectors?
    Thanks BMSman.
    New injectors
    Removed and cleaned oil sprayer
    Locktyte Banjo bolts
    New gaskets everywhere
    Timing
    All new hoses
    New plug wires

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    If your Sure you didn't leave anything in there, Could be dry up top banjo bolts are in the oil flow direction, Correct? Pic below! if these all check out Pull a important relay so it cranks and doesn't start to get some oil up top first, How is the oil level?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    If your Sure you didn't leave anything in there, Could be dry up top banjo bolts are in the oil flow direction, Correct? Pic below! if these all check out Pull a important relay so it cranks and doesn't start to get some oil up top first, How is the oil level?
    Thanks 8eights. Pretty sure nothing was left inside. I did not oversee the Banjo bolt reinstall so not sure about direction, will check that first.
    Also, what relay is best to pull?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    You have to be VERY careful when you use lock rite on the banjo bolts. If you heard some high pitched “screaming” from the engine, it’s very likely that there is oil starvation at the camshafts. These shafts are held down in aluminum block and need good lubrication, otherwise failure is imminent (usually within minutes)
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Tx is Right, I would check that there's no blockage as wel firstl, Lots of work but well worth it.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Work on the top end shouldn't cause smoke from the exhausts - but screaming and smoke makes me suspect the crankcase ventilation system - are you sure you replaced the vacuum pipes correctly? Have a listen close to the valves - is the noise coming from there?
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Just finished pulling valve covers.
    Here are pics....I'm not seeing anything. Anyone else notice something that is off?

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    Work on the top end shouldn't cause smoke from the exhausts - but screaming and smoke makes me suspect the crankcase ventilation system - are you sure you replaced the vacuum pipes correctly? Have a listen close to the valves - is the noise coming from there?
    Noise was definitely coming from the valves!

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    You have to be VERY careful when you use lock rite on the banjo bolts. If you heard some high pitched “screaming” from the engine, it’s very likely that there is oil starvation at the camshafts. These shafts are held down in aluminum block and need good lubrication, otherwise failure is imminent (usually within minutes)
    That's what it sounded like to me. It was a painful sound. When you say "failure" I'm guessing you mean of a critical nature...God I hope not.
    I only ran it for less that 20-30 seconds before shutting her down.
    What would failure look like?
    Also, anyone know what relays to pull to get the oil moving through the sprayer without turning the car over?

My Cars
    1972 3.0 CSi-1988 M6
    Yeah, the valve train components look suspiciously dry. Seems like there is no fresh/wet oil present.
    Bert
    91 850i-A
    1972 3.5 CSi (L-jet, Getrag 265 5 speed)
    1988 ///M6
    2021 X3 M40i

The back to back BIG COUPE” duo

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    When I had my fuel injectors cleaned they came back soaked in light oil. After fitting them the car smoked a lot for quite a few miles then slowly burned off. I remember thinking to myself what the heck happened... but this is all it was. Lack of oil to the valve train is not likely to cause the exhaust to smoke.

I don't see anything out of place in the pics but I'd remove the banjo bolts and look down the hole at the cam shaft or remove the cam shaft retaining caps for inspection if you are certain the noise came form valve train.

Pull the plugs and turn the engine over by hand listening for any unusual interference/resistance. You could also crank the starter (plugs and fuel pump relays removed) while an assistant inspects the motor and verifies spray bars are passing oil. Verify the oil pressure light goes out after a few seconds of cranking.

I'm curious... what are those white gaskets on your intakes?

Did you use blue loctite? It may just be the lighting but looks like I see traces of it on your camshaft (2nd to last pic).

Make certain you tightened the bolts on each cam chain sprocket. If one backed out it will rub against the engine casing...
    Last edited by BMSman; 02-24-2019 at 04:59 PM.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    When I had my fuel injectors cleaned they came back soaked in light oil. After fitting them the car smoked a lot for quite a few miles then slowly burned off. I remember thinking to myself what the heck happened... but this is all it was.

I don't see anything out of place in the pics but I'd remove the banjo bolts and look down the hole at the cam shaft or remove the cam shaft retaining caps for inspection if you are certain the noise came form valve train.

Pull the plugs and turn the engine over by hand listening for any unusual interference/resistance. You could also crank the starter (plugs and fuel pump replays removed) while an assistant inspects the motor and verifies spray bars are passing oil.
    Thanks, I'll get on this. I wouldnt be so concerned if it was just the smoke but the high pitch scream was unsettling to say the least!

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    When I had my fuel injectors cleaned they came back soaked in light oil. After fitting them the car smoked a lot for quite a few miles then slowly burned off. I remember thinking to myself what the heck happened... but this is all it was. Lack of oil to the valve train is not likely to cause the exhaust to smoke.

Pull the plugs and turn the engine over by hand listening for any unusual interference/resistance. You could also crank the starter (plugs and fuel pump relays removed) while an assistant inspects the motor and verifies spray bars are passing oil. Verify the oil pressure light goes out after a few seconds of cranking.

I'm curious... what are those white gaskets on your intakes?

Did you use blue loctite? It may just be the lighting but looks like I see traces of it on your camshaft (2nd to last pic).

Make certain you tightened the bolts on each cam chain sprocket. If one backed out it will rub against the engine casing...
    I hand cranked the engine and heard nothing unusual. Pulled the spark and fuel relays and cranked the engine but didnt see any oil coming out of the sprayer. At least no screaming noise this time! Took the oil bar off and inspected (already cleaned them earlier so not sure what I was expecting to find) bar was not plugged .
    I'm not sure of the orientation of the banjo bolts tho? There are 3 holes but no marker to identify their location?
    How do I know they are properly aligned?

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    I used a ruler and a sharpie to mark the center direction of the holes. If it were me being so paranoid, I would drain 2 quarts of oil and replace it in the oil tube spayer and on top of the valves and cams to sort of prime things up. Also looks to dry inside for a engine that ran this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 8eights; 02-24-2019 at 06:51 PM.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    I used a ruler and a sharpie to mark the center direction of the holes. If it were me being so paranoid, I would drain 2 quarts of oil and replace it in the oil tube spayer and on top of the valves and cams to sort of prime things up.
    Thanks. And so I can better orient the holes, from which end of the cam shaft does the oil come from?

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Quote Originally Posted by nrp22101 View Post
    I hand cranked the engine and heard nothing unusual. Pulled the spark and fuel relays and cranked the engine but didnt see any oil coming out of the sprayer. At least no screaming noise this time! Took the oil bar off and inspected (already cleaned them earlier so not sure what I was expecting to find) bar was not plugged .
    I'm not sure of the orientation of the banjo bolts tho? There are 3 holes but no marker to identify their location?
    How do I know they are properly aligned?

You'll need to crank it for a minute or so. Did the oil pressure light go out? Until it does you are not going to see anything.

There is no orientation for the banjo bolts.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    You'll need to crank it for a minute or so. Did the oil pressure light go out? Until it does you are not going to see anything.

There is no orientation for the banjo bolts.
    I removed the bar on cyl 1-6 but left it on 7-12. I cranked it for a bit longer and the oil started to trickle out. Wasn't much but looked commensurate to the size of the oil bar holes. On cylinders 1-7 the oil gushed out of the where the second banjo bolt opening. Does this all sound kosher?
    I'm trying to post an video but wont let me! "Mime type"?

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Yes this all sounds normal. I suspect your problem lies elsewhere.

My Cars
    1972 3.0 CSi-1988 M6
    Did you drain the power steering system (Pentosin hydraulic fluid) completely through the power steering pump? When I completely emptied the Pentosin last summer and refilled system, upon initial startup, it let out a loud, high pitched metallic sounding racket in the engine compartment. Scared the heck out of me, though I screwed things up big time. Probably, the sound came from the newly emptied steering pump. Bled the system a few times and the sound went away and things went back to normal.
    Bert
    91 850i-A
    1972 3.5 CSi (L-jet, Getrag 265 5 speed)
    1988 ///M6
    2021 X3 M40i

The back to back BIG COUPE” duo

My Cars
    1991 850i
    At the risk of being pedantic I agree that the simplest things should be checked first. The Pentoisin circuit certainly is a candidate. There is a tiny vent slot in the brass bushing in the cover - far too small, especially at startup. Put a split lock washer on the shaft before installing the cover. It will still seal, and prevents the pump from drawing a vacuum in the reservoir keeping the fluid from flowing to the pump.

The A/C compressor comes on briefly at startup. Make sure the drive belt is properly tensioned.

Lessons I've learned in 25 years of ownership and 160K miles.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by NevadaMike View Post
    At the risk of being pedantic I agree that the simplest things should be checked first. The Pentoisin circuit certainly is a candidate. There is a tiny vent slot in the brass bushing in the cover - far too small, especially at startup. Put a split lock washer on the shaft before installing the cover. It will still seal, and prevents the pump from drawing a vacuum in the reservoir keeping the fluid from flowing to the pump.

The A/C compressor comes on briefly at startup. Make sure the drive belt is properly tensioned.

Lessons I've learned in 25 years of ownership and 160K miles.
    I hear ya Mike. I am trying to go through every detail starting with the obvious, leaving no stone unturned.
    I can confirm the belts are properly tensioned and will check all possible vacuum leaks starting with the pentosin system.
    I do have a question regarding the three temperature sensors at the back of the engine cooling pipes which I replaced during the top end refresh. RealOem shows only two of the three sensors use washers. Seems odd not all 3 would require them? Is this correct?

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    there are indeed 3 washers , i have that tube on my spare engine , see pic .
    What is in the list ,i suppose , is you need 2 x #9 and 1 x #6 .
    7 and 8 are 14mm , 5 is 12 mm.

SAM_2674.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast