Thread: 1986 M535i Barn Find

My Cars
    E28 M535i

1986 M535i Barn Find

Hi All,

Been a while since I've had a BMW. Last one was an E46 M3. Prior to that various things such as an E39 540 etc. Also have a couple Porsche projects on the go as well. A 1989 944 Cab and a 79 928 manual. So this M535i isn't really what I need right now, but just couldn't let it sit there and be devoured by the mice that had made it their home for the last 12 years.
    It made it's way to Australia from Hong Kong in 1993. Expat owner brought it with him. Sold it to the guy I bought it from. My understanding is this guy got done for drink driving while disqualified and lost his license for 12 years. The car was then parked in his rural garage and left.
    All I know at this stage is, it was an auto but was converted to the proper M535i manual Getrag dogleg box by BMW Hong Kong in 1989. It has the full electrics package including the seats and the sunroof. And everything still works. The seats have been covered with lambswool seat covers their whole life and are in extraordinary condition. The dash has also had a mat on it since new and is absolutely crack free.
    I have managed to start the car. I drained the tank and flushed the lines. Put some fresh fuel in with a new battery and she fired up after two cranks. No noises, no rattles but running poorly as would be expected. The fuel pump is making a very loud whining sound, so I'm removing the fuel pump and fitting a Bosch 044 with a relay etc. This car does not have the in tank pump.
    I'll keep updating the thread as I find out more.

Cheers
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Heaven… the mechanics are German, the chefs are French, the police are British, the lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss.
    In Hell…the mechanics are French, the police are German, the chefs are British, the lovers are Swiss and everything is organized by the Italians.

1986 M535i Manual

My Cars
    m5s
    Nice find and looks like a great example to restore.

If you are not on mye28.com that will be a good resource and you might get some input/etc versus here which is dead

Im not super familiar with the ins and outs of M535i, but if you have not registered it on the bmwmregistry.com that would be cool (not my site)

My Cars
    '80 733i , '76 2002
    That is a sweet looker. Good find.

My Cars
    e28
    Nice ride, did you get it running straight?