Thread: New to Forum, seeking advice for roadtrip to retrieve car

My Cars
    1981 320i

New to Forum, seeking advice for roadtrip to retrieve car

Hello everyone. First, thanks for the knowledge and your time. I probably would not be getting into this BMW car 'thing' if this resource did not exist.

I live in Vermont and have never owned a BMW, though for 5 years I had a 1987 Mercedes 420SEL. That was a pretty good car, but not quite the sportiest rig on the planet. Build quality was phenomenal, and parts were available, but the complexities of a dual overhead cam motor were, and are, mostly beyond me. It was traded off two years ago. What I am getting at is that I have some frame of reference for the issues I am about to face.

I participated in a winter TSD rally here in Vermont earlier this month, the winter challenge rally run by John Buffum. I ran it in my 2015 Jeep wranger rubicon 4 door. Some of the other cars were pretty cool, from a 64 Mercury Comet coupe to early 80s Saab 900s, to way too many subarus. Okay, so I am hooked. My thought was to get a rear wheel drive, light weight older car with some handling capability for autocross, hill climbs, and tds rally driving, and short trips. You know, like a BMW E21.

After several weeks of looking, I have ended up owning (for the low to me price of $1,826.00) a 1983 320i, with 172k miles and it looks to be pretty stock. 5 speed, cloth recaro seats, sunroof, leather wrapped steering wheel, some new parts. All electrics and switches work as intended, though A/C was removed by a previous owner. Rear end damage in the past (which will of course need repair). It has some issues, but is a driver. In fact, the seller took it on a 600 mile trip last week, apparently without issue. The seller seems sincere, and has shared what he knows of the car, but he has owned it for less than a year. Bumper and other parts included.
    00I0I_esA1X7G7VQp_1200x900.jpg00303_2NOpojJOrLo_1200x900.jpg00u0u_1hw2tZjDj2u_1200x900.jpg

Red flag... no maintenance history and short ownership term.....oh, wait, that is two red flags. Oh, and it was an EBay purchase. (three??) In any event, that is my story and I am sticking with it. My habit of occasionally engaging in random adventures with uncertain outcomes is one of the things than endears me to my loving wife. It also means I understand that I may be in over my head, this may not turn out well, and it may cost me even more money. I have on my big boy pants, and I am fine with all of that. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So, to my situation today. Job one is to get the car home. Yes, I know I could have had it trucked to me for $1200. Where is the fun in that? This is supposed to be an adventure, right? The car is in Kansas. I have purchased a one way plane ticket for next Sunday and made an appointment with Autobahn Motorwerks in Kansas City for Monday March 4 to have it gone over. Then I intend to drive it to Vermont, stopping at my brother's house in eastern Indiana. In a perfect world, this takes 3 days, maybe 4 depending on weather---and if my brother has a lot of beer in the house when I arrive. Yes I can deal with rear wheel drive in winter weather (which might include hunkering in a motel for a few extra days if need be). I have the first week of March off from work. I can get this thing home, even if it means hauling it behind a truck. Which would not be as awesome as pulling into the driveway at home with my new sorta beater 320i, but would at least get it here before I have to be back at work on March 11.

Kenny at ABMW said he is happy to go over it, replace fluids and adjust things that need adjusting, and talk with me about the car. It is unlikely that they will have in stock many, or any, replacement parts. As I have a week before I leave, should I try to order (in time) potentially trip ending parts like coolant hoses, water pump, fuel pump, etc.? Having a pro install some preventative peace of mind might be a good idea. If so, what parts would you suggest? Is there a better place to take it in the KC area, maybe that works a lot on the older BMWs?

Tools---while I am not making any claims to competency, I could fix some things in a parking lot if need be. What tools would you recommend? metric wrenches, allen wrenches, screw drivers, vice grips, duct tape, zip ties....and_____? Again, suggestions appreciated.

Any recommended BMW repair shops along the way I70 up to I90 is the general plan----??

What are some good places for BBQ in Kansas City?? Okay, that isn't car related, but is important.

Any ideas about how to document this fun little excursion---facebook live, or something like that? Happy to share my experiences, good and bad. It may prove amusing.

Any and all ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Smith
    Northfield, VT

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    That car looks really nice - except for that crush in the back. Which should be easy to fix with some junk yard pieces.

Good luck with the drive and repairs.

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful with the drive - E21's tend to be tail happy. This my make driving it winter conditions a little touchy.

Do not push it till you get some seat time in it.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    I bought mine in ATL and drove it through Lexington to SFO. Broken flex plate in AZ stalled the trip for 6 weeks... But fun to make the drive. I had very hard rain storms, no snow. I followed the snow when it hit TX/NM/AZ, and the roads were already dry. But floated around a lot in GA, KY, TN and TX.

One tool that seemed to be indispensable was a big, long flat head screwdriver for helping to pry off the brittle rubber hoses and tubes connected to the vacuum system. E21 tool kit doesn't have anything like that.

I'd get a fresh roll of electrical tape to wrap vacuum hoses if they leak. And a bunch of fuses, a wire brush, and some 3-in-1 oil or whatever you like for treating electrical connections.

My Cars
    1981 320i
    Thanks!
    Driving w rwd in winter---comment noted!
    putting together a tool kit, which will include flat screwdriver, fuses, wire brush, and electrical tape
    parts on order which should show up this week ---fuel system filter and pump, water pump and hoses, flex disc for driveshaft---all will likely be needed eventually, and as my dad used to say, 'better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'. All should fit in my luggage. Hope it arrives when I do.

Will update on trip.

In case needed, any recommended shops in St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany-----that's my intended route, generally. I'm not nervous, just like to be prepared.

And the BBQ question still stands! Will report on that as well.

Bill

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    I have only been to Kansas City once for business, we went to an old trail station that had a high dollar BBQ restaurant in it. It was over the top!! And one mail will feed you for two days if you have a cooler.

Oh, a cooler is an important tool!

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    80 E21 Euro, 85 E30 Euro
    If your road trip takes you through the New York capitol region I have a shop up here and I would be happy to give you some wisdom and possibly parts, i’ve been in the e21 game for a good year now and I’d love to help

My Cars
    1981 320i
    Thanks, Max. Traveling the I90east-I87north route toward Ft. Ann and into Vt;so I will be going right through Albany. If you PM me your shop address/contact info I will put it in my smartphone and will definitely look you up. Hope to be going through there by late afternoon of Wednesday 3/06. Depending on car and weather!

Bill

My Cars
    80 E21 Euro, 85 E30 Euro
    Oh bad luck I will be out of town then. Good luck with the road trip and I’ll pm you just in case your plans change

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Congrats on the purchase, would be nice to see another e21 in Vermont! These cars are very reliable if maintained and I have done 2 cross country trips in mine (over 3000 miles each time). As far as the road trip goes my list includes the following checks/spares:

- Make sure there are no fuel leaks from high pressure fuel injection lines/hoses
    - Check the ignition distributor for excessive radial play, they do fail that way and can leave you stranded. I always carry a spare with a spare rotor/cap.
    - Make sure cooling system looks good and heater valve is not leaking when it's ON (they tend to leak only when open and you do not want to loose antifreeze)
    - Check HVAC system to make sure cables are not broken, you do not want to end up with fogged up windows. If any cables are broken you can manually adjust everything before the trip to make sure you have working defrost. Heater can be adjusted under the hood, the valve is on the firewall behind the brake booster. Heater box flaps can be manually adjusted behind the glovebox.
    - Make sure you have enough oil (couple quarts), a gallon of antifreeze and jumper cables.

I'd have the shop to do the following:
    - Have them change the oil to a proper weight - 5w40 or 10w40 should work well during winter. You do not want to end up with 20w50 in there at 5F.
    -Make sure the alternator charges the battery, even if the dash battery light is off. There is a wire next to the oil filter that often gets damaged and if it is damaged, the batt. will not be charged and the dash light will stay off.
    - Check CV boots and diff/gearvbox oils.
    - Check clutch slave cyl for leaks
    - Check front wheels bearings and adjust if needed
    - Check control arm bushings
    - Valve adjustment could help but unless the valves are noisy you should be OK to make a trip.

Tools to take:

-Metric open wrenches and sockets from 8mm to 19 would take care of pretty much everything
    -Large crescent wrench (19-30 would take care of larger banjo bolts for fuel lines, just in case)
    -Set of screwdrivers

e21 does not have any hex or star bolts.

Have a safe trip. By the way, if you can, get a $12 Haynes manual, it can be very useful in case something goes wrong on the trip.

Max
    Last edited by mxl556; 02-27-2019 at 09:21 PM.

My Cars
    1981 320i
    Thanks, that is very helpful. I have manuals and some parts (cooling system and fuel system, and alternator belt) coming before the trip. Hadn't thought of the electrical.

Maybe we can put together a new england E21 meeting this summer. I'd like to get involved in the Sports Car Club of Vermont events.

Assuming everything works out to get back home in time, I am planning to run it in the New Hampshire SCCA Frost Heave Rally later in March.

Bill

My Cars
    1981 320i
    UPDATE:
    Car and driver home in one piece! Over 1600 miles of mostly highway driving.
    Only issue was road condition related. A pothole on I70 in Illinois jolted loose the (very holey) muffler, and I had to wire it back up at roadside. A very nice police officer in Schenectady, NY let me know it was still quite noisy---but did not give me a ticket.

Car has some engine seal issues --- crank and output--- and wheel bearing looseness. What looked like a ton of coolant leaking actually reduced substantially over the trip. I added a quart of coolant at the 700 mile point, but could only add 8 ounces or so at the 1400 mile point.

Dash lights don't work but cigarette lighter (for phone charging) and radio do work. Hazard flasher was removed by PO. That will need to be fixed for state inspection.

Car has a surging idle when warm, or it is high ---about 1400 rpms. Likely vacuum hose leak?

Boots for rear half shafts need replacing; outer left side one had a tear in it, but at 700 mile I put more grease in and it made it without becoming noisy.

The rust isn't too bad, but that back corner needs some help to pass inspection also. Working on that over the weekend now that the cold temperatures are improving a bit, into the 30s. Will find a way to warm up a work area in the garage. Been meaning to do that anyway.

Upon returning home I had in the mail a new to me BMW 'big blue' shop manual, and a Haynes manual. A new muffler, axle boot kits, various vacuum hoses, and a front bumper are coming over the weekend.

The last 50 miles were twisty two lane roads, and some dirt roads. This boring, 75mph on the interstate cruiser turned into a very nice driving sports car----!! Pleasantly surprised. It has a good feeling suspension, the 3rd and 4th gear ratios in particular are nice for 60mph speeds on a twisty road, and the body does not squeak or rattle. On the dirt (I should say, dirt/ice/mud/gravel) roads of Vermont, it is a fun, 3rd gear 45mph car, which will be very good for one of its intended purposes----stage rallying.

I will admit that on the dirt roads, I stuffed it into a snow bank and bent the air dam. (I chickened out). Got to remember to keep my foot in it, and full lock right!

I have some studded snows and steel rims on order for next week, and will also change out the fluids and filters, and those axle boots. My local mechanic is amused by my acquisition but willing to help, and will install parts I buy if I can't.

Thanks for the input, and ideas. Oh, Crossroads Hotel in Kansas City is very cool and under $200 a night which is pretty good for a city. Jack Stack Freighthouse BBQ was very good----crown prime rib and burnt ends, and good beer.

I'd also like to put in a plug for Andy and Kenny at Autobahn Motorwerks in Kansas City. Very helpful, took 2 hours going over the car with me and charge $115 total.

Bill

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Congratulations, and yes, e21's are fun on VT roads! I try to stay on paved roads but you know how it is

If you are interested and planning to stiffen the car up, I do have a TEP top strut brace and "alpina" lower brace I would like to part with. Just send me a PM if interested.

Max

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Glad you made it all the way with only minor issues!

Looking forward to up dates with your e21, Max is a great person - was sad to see him move from So Cal to VT, always lots of help!

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    Nice! I was hoping to hear how it turned out.

My Cars
    1981 320i
    Big issues have surfaced. A potential wheel bearing issue had me bring it to my friendly local mechanic sooner rather than later. On the lift, he found that the rear subframe attachments were rotted through; the driver seat was held in by being bolted through the floor to a steel plate; and the rocker panels are just a fiberglass and spray paint cover for a lot of rust.

Either seller was a liar, or the person who sold to him was. The car is uninspectable in Vermont. A parts car. Which I will probably run this weekend in a NH rally, as I am still within the 15 day window to inspect, and technically legal. E-Bay/Craigslist is not your friend! Feel like a sucker. Hell, am one.

Anyone's thought would be most appreciated. I've got some money sunk into this ($1800 purchase price, a trip to Kansas, and a ton of parts on order). Any better cars out there??? Should I part it out? Anybody want some parts--Recaro seats?

My wife is a good, loving person, but she is not going to be happy. Not looking forward to the conversation.

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    Sounds like this was exposed to road salt.

My Cars
    1981 320i
    Very true. Anyone have an idea about cost to clean up the body, and weld in new pieces? I'd kind of like to save the old girl, but...

anyone want to sell me an inspectable 320i, or know where to find one?

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    Man, I empathize!

I've decided to only buy what I can inspect from now on.