Thread: 1991-1995 BMW CD-Changer and Radio Compatibility

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i

1991-1995 BMW CD-Changer and Radio Compatibility

I'd like to buy an identical looking BMW CD-Changer to mine, which is no longer working. The seller sent photos of the CD-Changer and Instructions. The changer is the same as mine - Drop-down cover to access the magazine. (Some CD-Changers of this era had sliding covers). However, I have concerns over compatibility based on the note in the BMW's instructions.

The instructions say the changer is 88 88 1 600 239. This will only work with Radios: 88 88 1 600 235 or 88 88 1 600 245.

My Radio Owner's Manual says my radio is 90 88 1 600 303. The Optional CD-Player would be 88 88 1 600 285.

My CD Changer (which worked for 4 yrs.) I bought back in 2009. It was from a 1995 model apparently. Info. on back of my changer:

88 88 1 600 284 P
    CDX-M91 ZBM-02
    Serial: OJ 39360
    MFD: Oct 94

Not sure why BMW is so adamant about using only certain cd-players with certain radios. The 1991-1995 radios looked identical from the 3 to 8-series. Only difference is some have a "Mute" button others have a "WB" button. Mine has the Mute button.

His CD-Changer instructions are from Sept. 90 - so this means suitable for 1991 models. My car is a 1993 525i - which used the same looking radio as in 1991. Plus the changer I was using was really for a 1995 model as it was made in Oct 94.

Has anyone had BMW CD-Changers from 1991-1995 not compatible with BMW Radios from 1991-1995? I have a feeling all will be well, regardless of BMWs note, but wanted to check with other E34 owners.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Same as our radios, some are made by Pioneer, others are Alpine.
    The wiring connectors differ

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    I heard that the connectors are the only main concern. Some of these changers have a 10-pin or 13-pin connector. Mine is a 14-pin connector. Maybe they meant 14 not 13.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Turns out the early version I was considering is indeed a 13-pin connector, with linear arrangement. Mine is a 14, in an arched pattern. Plus my power connector is arranged with 2 prongs/slots next to each other (both vertical) - the seller's early CD Changer power connector is has 2 arranged oppositely (one vertical, one horizontal). Otherwise the changer itself is spot-on looking to mine. Oh well.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Thanks M60. Most informative write-up I've seen on these early CD-Changers. This corroborates how complex it is to successfully fit and get the changers and radios to work.... even though, they look the same on the surface.

Press "PROG" and "-" (next to the "MODE" button) and it displays who made the radio and the year. The number after the "ALPINE" shows the last digit of the year. Mine displayed: "BMW ALPINE3"..... so it's a 1993. Even though the car was made in Sept/Oct. 1992.

According to the article's chart, my radio model is CM5901.

Changer Plugs/Connectors: 1989-Early 1991 cars used a 13-pin. Late 1991-1995 cars used a 14-pin.

I still don't know what manufacturer made my CD Changer. I don't know why Pioneer or Alpine isn't printed on the back on the changer. I suspect it's a Pioneer, as it lists the part number followed by a "P"... 88 88 1 600 284 P - due to this, if a "A" was after the part number, it may be an Alpine.

The article says Pioneer Changers are more reliable than Alpine.
    Last edited by E28E34; 02-24-2019 at 12:18 PM.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Are you really married to a CD changer? I went to a CD43 and the GROM USB3 Bluetooth unit..

now I have to say I do get some annoying whine and a clicking and as far as I can tell I have the unit wired properly.. it didn't do this in my last car as badly but as for convenience its a big win over CD''s it plays FLAC files so you have CD quality sound.. and I have 3 8gb usb sticks in the car .. way more than six CD's which I could run through in a day... I bought the CD43 on ebay from an English seller at about half of what most US sellers ask.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    Are you really married to a CD changer? I went to a CD43 and the GROM USB3 Bluetooth unit..

now I have to say I do get some annoying whine and a clicking and as far as I can tell I have the unit wired properly.. it didn't do this in my last car as badly but as for convenience its a big win over CD''s it plays FLAC files so you have CD quality sound.. and I have 3 8gb usb sticks in the car .. way more than six CD's which I could run through in a day... I bought the CD43 on ebay from an English seller at about half of what most US sellers ask.
    Sounds interesting. However, I am a die-hard purist. I like the way the factory radios look in the dash. Have been this way for well over 20 years.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    I'm glad that link helped. I'm the same as you, I like to keep it as original as possible. I would have gone CD43 but you lose the NOAA weatherband function, which I think is so cool

For awhile I used the CD changer on my e34 and e32, but now I have an 1/8" audio cable wired to the CD changer audio output cable. Selecting CD on the radio allows me to listen to the AUX input. I still need to put a blank CD in the changer for this to work.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    I'm glad that link helped. I'm the same as you, I like to keep it as original as possible. I would have gone CD43 but you lose the NOAA weatherband function, which I think is so cool

For awhile I used the CD changer on my e34 and e32, but now I have an 1/8" audio cable wired to the CD changer audio output cable. Selecting CD on the radio allows me to listen to the AUX input. I still need to put a blank CD in the changer for this to work.
    My radio has a MUTE button in place of the WB button which some radios had. I have experienced it in later BMWs, and it was pretty neat - the announcements made me feel like I was at Sea.

Are you able to listen to music via your phone by connecting it to the aux port on the original BMW/Pioneer/Alpine changer? Does this wire run from the trunk mounted player, up to your center console where you'd have your phone? I've heard of others using tape adapters - which apparently are better quality (though cumbersome) than selecting a certain FM station, and playing music from their phone that way. I am not at this point..... one day. Still living in the 20th century in sooooo many ways. The 1993 E34 is just one!

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Send me a pic of the cd changer if you go that route, I might have one you can have it if you wanna pic it up I’m in RI
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post
    My radio has a MUTE button in place of the WB button which some radios had. I have experienced it in later BMWs, and it was pretty neat - the announcements made me feel like I was at Sea.

Are you able to listen to music via your phone by connecting it to the aux port on the original BMW/Pioneer/Alpine changer? Does this wire run from the trunk mounted player, up to your center console where you'd have your phone? I've heard of others using tape adapters - which apparently are better quality (though cumbersome) than selecting a certain FM station, and playing music from their phone that way. I am not at this point..... one day. Still living in the 20th century in sooooo many ways. The 1993 E34 is just one!
    Yes, exactly what you described. The aux audio cable connects to the trunk mounted Pioneer CD changer. I spliced it into the OEM wire harness right before it connects to the changer, and ran the wire up to the center console next to the Driver's seat. I left a few extra feet of aux cable so I can have my phone in my hand and select music.

In the past I've tried both the cassette tape adapter and FM transmitter connected to my phone. Tape adapter is much better sound quality than the FM transmitter and more reliable. The hard-wired aux cable to the CD changer is even better.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    Yes, exactly what you described. The aux audio cable connects to the trunk mounted Pioneer CD changer. I spliced it into the OEM wire harness right before it connects to the changer, and ran the wire up to the center console next to the Driver's seat. I left a few extra feet of aux cable so I can have my phone in my hand and select music.

In the past I've tried both the cassette tape adapter and FM transmitter connected to my phone. Tape adapter is much better sound quality than the FM transmitter and more reliable. The hard-wired aux cable to the CD changer is even better.
    Interesting. When you select the CD from the radio factory radio, I'd imagine it just bypasses the CD Changer altogether, due to the splicing, and goes straight to your phone?

My Cars
    Too many
    I have a working cd changer that is compatible with alpine radios. It works in my 94 e34 525i and my 94 e36 vert. It is complete with the magazine in good condition. Pm me if you are interested.
    1994 e36 325i convertible, 5 spd samoablau metallic-just acquired
    1994 e34 525i schwarz II auto
    1985 Nissan 300zx 5spd
    1991 e34 535i calypsorot metallic 5spd-SOLD

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    A technician at a repair shop who works on older German cars, says he feels my Changer and Radio both would need to be sent out to a service facility. A repair place in CA, said sometimes it's not just a Changer issue, but something with the radio too. When I didn't have the changer hooked up, CD was never an option; until I installed the changer in 2009, then CD display on the radio and operated fine. In 2014, for 3 mo. it worked sometimes after startup, other times not at all. All connections and fuses were fine. I don't know how true it is, that the radio is the culprit. Or is this just a sales tactic?

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post
    Interesting. When you select the CD from the radio factory radio, I'd imagine it just bypasses the CD Changer altogether, due to the splicing, and goes straight to your phone?
    Yup, instead of just tapping into the 4 audio wires, I disconnected them from the CD changer entirely (otherwise it would simultaneously play the audio coming from the changer). I left the rest of the harness wires intact so that the changer would still function as normal. Although I could never figure out how to get it to work without an actual CD in the cartridge, because you still have to select a disk at the radio for it to continue playing from the phone.