Thread: Peake Research closed

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

Peake Research closed

I have the Peake fault code tool for engine codes and also the SRS tool, just read on their website: "Thank you for visiting our website. Unfortunatley, Peake Research Corporation is no longer producing products. To those who enjoyed our products over the last 30 years, we can't thank you enough!"

The engine fault code tool works also on our E32, the SRS tool not, only from cars built >1994. Probably they closed caused by the cheap competition of PC based tools/software and the cheap chinese competion for the reset tools like service/oil reset tools and the SRS tool.
    I have also the Peake SRS tool since years I bought for the M3 for abt. $200 and the cheap China made B800 I bought too some years ago to compare, as I found it for less than $20, as long as the car is built >1994, both SRS tools work on my 1998 E36 M3.
    For the E32 for SRS reset I had the SIR3 as well as the BOA for years for sale, but also this tool is no longer available, sold out and manufacturer is asking for a too large qty as minimum production. The Sir3 and/or BOA airbag /SRS light/service/oil reset all in one tool works on most BMW from 1987 (most other tools on the market only work for models from >1994) up to built year 03/2006 (later version BOA) and Mini from 2001,Rover from 2001. Does NOT work on BMW with Conditioned Based Service / CBS. The BOA has both plugs, for the old 20-pin round plug and the new OBDII http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/BOA.jpg
    Sir3 looks like this http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/s..._resetSIR3.jpg
    So in case your SRS system on the E32 has to be reset, try to get a used SIR3 or BOA or a software system which also works on the E32. SIR3 as well as the BOA however cannot read fault codes, they just reset the light after the system has been repaired.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Love my Peake reader. Just saw that Bavarian Autosport is closing after 45 years, as well. Good memories of taking my old 2002 to their Show&Shine with my dad back in the lat '90's/early 2000's.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I also have the Peake, very handy, fits in the glovebox, no need to set-up a PC. Enough for quick checks for main problems.
    Pitty to read about bavauto, I visited their site often for DIY instructions, for example chip installation M30, better download it before it disappears forever https://www.bavauto.com/media/import...ges/ins022.pdf

My Cars
    Merc R129, E31, Jag XKR
    Question on the Peake reader when scanning the M70, the 1st fault reader part (Fc) reads which side? and the 2nd (cii), which side does it read?

Iv got a code a code 10 (camshaft/cylinder ID sensor) when I read from the (cii) part and don't know which side is which?

Thanks
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    FC = cylinder 1-6
    CE = MIL reset
    OL = oil service reset
    in = inspection reset
    FII and CII apply only for the M70 cylinders 7-12 for the 2nd DME, procedure exactly as cE and Fc.

So the Cylinder identification sensor for bank 7-12 in your case is the problem. http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/V12_Distributor_Leads.htm

download the manual as long as it is online http://www.peakeresearch.com/manuals...201.0%20NA.pdf
    Last edited by shogun; 03-10-2019 at 06:56 AM.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Horrible news about BavAuto. Hard to believe. I've been using them for 90% of my parts since 1987. Ever since my warranty ended on my 1983 E23. I have used FCPEuro a time or two, but this is like losing a family member. Have to give them a call Monday morning to check on my final order last week for the upper and lower timing cover gaskets. Just received my glove box catch, screws and rubber bumper yesterday. Deleting their number from my contacts is going to be tough.
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    1984 633Csi,1988 535IS, 2000MRdastr,1973 914 Porsc
    I agree with Jeff. I was shocked when I read that BAV auto was closing. I have been buying parts for them since the early 80's. Never thought they would close. I will miss them and especially the DYI guy Otto!

My Cars
    '93 740il '84 633Csi
    I just saw that too on Bigcoupe. They knew the meaning of "customer service" and had knowledgeable folks to help. It would be helpful to digitize their newsletter and somehow preserve the youtube instructional videos. Perhaps this is a case of inadequate succession planning? It couldn't be Amazon that did them in.
    Change just sucks.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525ia
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    I have the Peake fault code tool for engine codes and also the SRS tool, just read on their website: "Thank you for visiting our website. Unfortunatley, Peake Research Corporation is no longer producing products. To those who enjoyed our products over the last 30 years, we can't thank you enough!"

The engine fault code tool works also on our E32, the SRS tool not, only from cars built >1994. Probably they closed caused by the cheap competition of PC based tools/software and the cheap chinese competion for the reset tools like service/oil reset tools and the SRS tool.
    I have also the Peake SRS tool since years I bought for the M3 for abt. $200 and the cheap China made B800 I bought too some years ago to compare, as I found it for less than $20, as long as the car is built >1994, both SRS tools work on my 1998 E36 M3.
    For the E32 for SRS reset I had the SIR3 as well as the BOA for years for sale, but also this tool is no longer available, sold out and manufacturer is asking for a too large qty as minimum production. The Sir3 and/or BOA airbag /SRS light/service/oil reset all in one tool works on most BMW from 1987 (most other tools on the market only work for models from >1994) up to built year 03/2006 (later version BOA) and Mini from 2001,Rover from 2001. Does NOT work on BMW with Conditioned Based Service / CBS. The BOA has both plugs, for the old 20-pin round plug and the new OBDII http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/BOA.jpg
    Sir3 looks like this http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/s..._resetSIR3.jpg
    So in case your SRS system on the E32 has to be reset, try to get a used SIR3 or BOA or a software system which also works on the E32. SIR3 as well as the BOA however cannot read fault codes, they just reset the light after the system has been repaired.
    I used my Peake today to check codes and reset my oil light on my 95 525i and found a pin and wire pulled out of the case. The pin separated from the wire. I can make it work fine. Anyone know where i can get a Peake repaired now that Peake research is no longer in business. I can solder, but not sure how the reader comes apart, if needed.
    Thanks,
    Russell

1995 BMW 525iA, M50TU, build date 1/95, Oxford Green/Parchment/leather/wood, EAT chip, Continental CD head unit, ASC+t, heated seats, lumbar support, HID & premium package abt 243k miles, rebuilt trany

My Cars
    Merc R129, E31, Jag XKR
    Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    I used my Peake today to check codes and reset my oil light on my 95 525i and found a pin and wire pulled out of the case. The pin separated from the wire. I can make it work fine. Anyone know where i can get a Peake repaired now that Peake research is no longer in business. I can solder, but not sure how the reader comes apart, if needed.
    Same thing happened to me, I split it open, soldered the connections and taped it close again
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."