RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Loud noise linked to RPMs help!!!

My Cars
    2008 BMW X3

Loud noise linked to RPMs help!!!

I have an ‘08 BMW X3 with 144,000 miles on it. Recently started making this loud noise when idling that progresses to a loud high pitched smacking noise when the engine is revved to around 2k rpm. I haven’t driven it because I don’t want to mess anything up and the problem is the mechanics down where I live won’t touch a BMW instead they say my cars no good and needs to be towed to the nearest lot. I have a video of the noise so I’ll post it if I can figure out how. It’s different from the typical BMW lifter noise it’s had. Thank you.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I did a quick Google, and it appears the nearest BMW shop to Marathon Key is on Key Largo: European Motorwerk Autohaus, about 40 miles away from you. 305-853-0112
    105230 Overseas Highway
    Key Largo, FL 33037

If I had to guess, you have a pulley about to fail. IF the tensioner pulley fails on your car, the belt will slip off, and get wound around the crankshaft pulley. It will then cut into the front crankshaft seal, depositing bunches of rubber in the oil pan, and undoing the timing, too. The cost of the repair will be thousands of dollars. IF the problem is as I've guessed, and you fix it before the belt falls off, it'll probably cost a few hundred dollars.

Of course, I am guessing from almost no information. A look at the pulleys would tell me, but a generic mechanic just isn't going to know what to look for.

Do you have AAA? You could get it towed to the shop above, and save the risk of huge damage.

If you can take a video looking directly down at the pulleys and belt, and post it on YouTube or similar, it might help. Meanwhile though, I'd have to recommend against driving the car, or putting it in the hands of a generic mechanic who's so ignorant that he tells you your car is no good because he's too stupid to figure out what's wrong.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I did a quick Google, and it appears the nearest BMW shop to Marathon Key is on Key Largo: European Motorwerk Autohaus, about 40 miles away from you. 305-853-0112
    105230 Overseas Highway
    Key Largo, FL 33037

If I had to guess, you have a pulley about to fail. IF the tensioner pulley fails on your car, the belt will slip off, and get wound around the crankshaft pulley. It will then cut into the front crankshaft seal, depositing bunches of rubber in the oil pan, and undoing the timing, too. The cost of the repair will be thousands of dollars. IF the problem is as I've guessed, and you fix it before the belt falls off, it'll probably cost a few hundred dollars.

Of course, I am guessing from almost no information. A look at the pulleys would tell me, but a generic mechanic just isn't going to know what to look for.

Do you have AAA? You could get it towed to the shop above, and save the risk of huge damage.

If you can take a video looking directly down at the pulleys and belt, and post it on YouTube or similar, it might help. Meanwhile though, I'd have to recommend against driving the car, or putting it in the hands of a generic mechanic who's so ignorant that he tells you your car is no good because he's too stupid to figure out what's wrong.
    Listen to this guy ^