Thread: EWS and Error Solving Help

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci

EWS and Error Solving Help

First hello to you guys, I'm new on this particular site. I did a search on here and didn't find what specifically wanted (if there is something I didn't see, please let me know.) so I decided to make a post to seek the help needed.
    Forewarned: This post is long.

The car is a 2000 328ci. I got it this prior winter.

So on my dash I've got the error lights for dsc, brakes, brake pads, seat belts, abs, airbags.
    Things like cruise control don't work either.
    I decided to buy a bmw scanner usb tool to attempt to see the exact errors for I can fix them.
    I got the tool attached in the engine bay to the big round connector, to my laptop which is running windows xp.

Upon starting the software I'm greeted by a screen saying the IKE and EWS doesn't match.
    According to it, it says the EWS gearbox is on Automatic.

1) So my first question is there an easy way to re-code the EWS to the correct value of being a manual? Is having it on automatic hurting anything?
    I was looking through the EWS screen, backed up the settings, and seen it said locked. And that there was an option to erase and unlock. I didn't want to mess things up so I didn't touch it.
    The mileage was also slightly different on it. The IKE said 343394 km, while the EWS said 243387 km. So it's pretty close.

2) I'm getting a lot of errors. Some of them make no sense why they exist.
    DME -> 82/E8 - Signal, CAN ASC 1
    6A/B8 - Control VANOS, position, exhaust camshaft
    92/B1 - Minor leak 0.5mm; fuel cap possibly not secured
    FA/B1 - Function check, tank ventilation
    F6/F8 - Flow rate, sec.-air system, too low, bank 2
    CA/71 - Ox.-sensor control, bank 1, control limit
    00/00 - Error number 00
    08/F2 - Signal, air-mass flow sensor

EWS -> 0F/3F - Power on reset
    13/13 - Toleration of changing code increased, key 1

ABS -> 73/FF - Control unit error
    B6/FF - Steering angle sensor CAN bus error
    76/FB - Control unit error, electromagnetic interference wheel speed sensor

LEW -> 09/69 - No CAN message (ASC)
    01/05 - Terminal 30 defective
    0C/15 - CAN-Bus off

SRS -> 11/A0 - Power supply
    1A/A2 - Seat occupancy recognition 1 (SBE1)
    03/C0 - Belt tensioner, front passenger
    1A/90 - Seat occupancy recognition 1 (SBE1)
    15/A0 - Seat belt buckle, front passenger
    02/C2 - Belt tensioner, driver
    14/A0 - Seat belt buckle, driver

IKE -> F4/84 - No CAN message
    BE/C8 - Data-filing difference to central light module (LCM)
    F5/C4 - No CAN message (ASC1)
    CE/81 - Outside-temperature sensor
    D7/81 - Tank sensor 2

ZKE -> 42/2D - Anti-theft alarm system: Interior protection
    3D/06 - Central locking system: Short circuit or Open circuit at Motor Tailgate
    08/01 - Power window: Fuse
    38/01 - Wiper: Pump for Window washing or Container is empty

3) Now some of the errors can guess
    ) I know the secondary air system makes a loud jet fighter sound, so I can assume it's clogged somewhere.
    ) Out of those alarm errors I know something is wrong with 81, because the only way I can
    get into the car without setting the alarm is my keyfob.
    If I use the key in the door, and then open it, the alarm goes off.
    ) the seat belt issue in the SRS I know as well, whoever owned the car before me cut the seatbelt wires for the buckle, and tensioner. (and missing that whole connector to the car harness.) They have a sparco seat in it, which I wish I had the original seat. I re-soldered the seatbelt buckle wires to the harness, but couldn't do the tensioner cause the wires was cut too close to the housing.

The car works and drives, speedometer works. Back windows stopped functioning this prior summer.
    I get around 26-28mpg. Gets better traction in mud/snow than my 240sx does. haha.
    Any help or guidance would be helpful, and I don't want to repeat anything already mentioned on this site.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    1) The EWS, when set to automatic, will not let you start the car when the gear lever is not in P or N. Most people just short the correct contacts when converting to manual to avoid reprogramming the EWS.

Judging by those errors, the car is a big mess. Some look like there have been computers swapped around in the car and things are no longer able to talk or computers completely removed to disable certain features (like ASC). Just start checking them off one by one and see where it goes, but honestly, getting another E46 might be a better solution..

By the way: whether or not you can disable to alarm with the key rather than the fob is a setting in the GM-module. It could be disabled in your car; by default it's also disabled in my country. You can reprogram that with NCS Expert.
    Last edited by Raddee; 02-22-2019 at 05:09 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Thanks for the reply Raddee.
    As much as I'd like not to agree with getting another e46, you are probably right on that. It will cost a lot to get this back to factory specs. Cause of right now i also need an ac compressor (leaks all r134a from the pressure valve on the bottom), new windshield (cracked from highway debris), rear bumper (corner busted from shopping parking lot). Heck even the power steering is starting to have issues.

According to my vin, looks like the car came as a manual. So I'm guessing the EWS was changed over time. But it has the correct vin coded in.
    I'll check out NCS expert.

I originally wanted a e36. But this car came up for cheap cause it wasn't running. Which was simple issues. Battery was bad, throttle body connector want connected. And the starter was busted in half.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Alright so I feel I should update my post.
    I got myself a little familiar with NCS expert now. I used it to change some settings in the LCM.

Here what I have fixed:

1) The issue I had with the EWS being set to an auto, I was able to correct it in PA Soft and set it over to the manual transmission setting. Don't know if that changed anything, but I also checked out the EWS's wiring harness and didn't see anything spliced or cut.

2) After clearing the errors a bunch of them went away like vanos, fuel cap leak, ox sensor.

3) There was an error for the interior protection alarm. That was because the ultrasonic sensor was missing, I bought a replacement for that.

4) Bought another driver seat belt and tensioner to clear the seatbelt errors.

Here is what I still have:

5) The CAN errors relating to ASC and ABS I'm not sure what's up with them. I checked out and cleaned the ABS connector in the engine bay, looked fine. So maybe the actual module is bad. All fuses are good. I haven't checked to see if it used a relay.

6) I'm not sure what's going on with the steering wheel angle sensor. I can use PA Soft, or INPA to view the "sensor wipers" to view the current rotation of the steering wheel.
    But in INPA it says "YES" to "Info of steering wheel turn is missing."

7) For the airbags/srs: I had been working with the passenger seat occupancy sensor, bought an "bypass" to see if the pad was the problem. No change, so got another sensor, no change.
    In INPA, when someone sat on the seat it showed it was active for a second then right back to inactive, it also changed like this once in a while with the bypass installed.
    But in INPA it had the recognition status down as ERROR. Sometimes it would flash OK. So I opted to just code out the occupancy pad and have it always think someone is there.

I'm assuming it's part of ABS. But my DSC light is on. And the brake light is on red.
    (emergency brake lever and master cylinder low sensor is working according to INPA.)
    I'm also assuming the steering wheel angle sensor errors is why my cruise control don't work.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Somehow I managed to delete my own post when I wanted to add something, so here it is again:

- Brake light is likely due to your DSC/ABS problems. Can you talk to the ABS and/or DSC modules in INPA?
    - Seat occupancy sensor might be due to bad wires underneath your passenger seat. They occasionally go bad due to moving the seat back and forth a lot or someone breaking something when they take the seat out. Note that the airbag light will only go away after clearing the errors in INPA, it will not go away by itself when the error is gone. It is not related to your ABS/DSC problems.
    - On the CC: does your light come on when you push the 'on' button? Are the other buttons on the steering wheel working? It might also be related to your car having had an auto to manual swap at some point, the CC needs input from clutch/brake sensors to work. Check the CC module settings in NCS.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Raddee View Post
    Somehow I managed to delete my own post when I wanted to add something, so here it is again:

- Brake light is likely due to your DSC/ABS problems. Can you talk to the ABS and/or DSC modules in INPA?
    - Seat occupancy sensor might be due to bad wires underneath your passenger seat. They occasionally go bad due to moving the seat back and forth a lot or someone breaking something when they take the seat out. Note that the airbag light will only go away after clearing the errors in INPA, it will not go away by itself when the error is gone. It is not related to your ABS/DSC problems.
    - On the CC: does your light come on when you push the 'on' button? Are the other buttons on the steering wheel working? It might also be related to your car having had an auto to manual swap at some point, the CC needs input from clutch/brake sensors to work. Check the CC module settings in NCS.
    I can pull up live data and errors in INPA for the DSC/ABS. If it shows up, I have attached an image of the screen. It's where i was also able to see if the emergency brake lever and brake fluid level was working. Sorry for the quality. It's a picture of my screen cause I'm running the tools in a Windows xp virtual machine on Linux.

I'll check out the wiring under the seat closer for the occupancy sensor. Nothing looked broken from an initial glance so I'll use my multimeter.

On to the CC. The light doesn't come when the button is pressed.
    All the radio controls on it work fine.

Oh, and that manual transmission option i set on the EWS turned out having to do with the clutch pedal switch to bypass it. At least the car starts without the clutch pedal being depressed (it's the older three wire connector.)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    So i was looking over the cruise control. And was reading over some posts.
    My throttle body is drive by wire, no cable. So maybe cruise control was never wired up. I'm going to try to diagnosis that as soon as i can figure out the wire that goes to the ecu (MS42.)

Using INPA i verified clutch pedal, and brake pedal sends the correct signals.

I also checked out the steering wheel module. It recognizes all the buttons correctly. But the weird thing is the part number shows as 0000000. And the week/year displays as 0/0. So something is odd with that. It's a three spoke steering wheel. I'm not sure what the correct steering wheel is. But I'm going to do more research on this.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    The MS42 / M52TU still have a throttle cable (from the M54 its drive by wire) so if you say your throttle body does not have a throttle cable, did you swap it or something?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Sorry for the late reply. I still haven't figured anything else out yet.

The throttle cable is there, but it's the one that goes into the throttle body then is controlled by electronics.

I checked the wiring for the cruise control assuming maybe someone did a retrofit or didn't finish it. As far as I can tell all the wiring is there and looks like a stock harness. The wire going into the ecu is a blue/white.

I'm still needing to take the electronics off the abs module to see if those internal wires are bad.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E39 528i
    Hello, were you able to find out anything regarding part number 0000000, I have same issue with CCC-A module on e63, and seems kill it when attempt to update CCC unit. Thank you

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mustkill View Post
    Hello, were you able to find out anything regarding part number 0000000, I have same issue with CCC-A module on e63, and seems kill it when attempt to update CCC unit. Thank you
    Nope sorry, i haven't looked into it anymore, nor could find anything.

I'm assuming why my CC doesn't work is because of my ABS/DSC issues. All stock wiring/etc is present.