Thread: Trifecta solved for $1?

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740

Trifecta solved for $1?

My wagon was showing the trifecta almost every day and it was consistent with my prior experience on E38s. I noticed the other day when I got gas that a couple of the tires looked a little low. So, I gathered up $1 in quarters and aired up all my tires. A couple were pretty low. When I left the station the trifecta did not come on. It didn't come at all the rest of the day. I figured it would come on the next day. So, the next day when I left home and got to 25-30 mph, it didn't come on. That is where it always seemed to come on. It didn't come on that day either -- not matter how I drove it.

That was over a week ago and it still is not coming on. Could it really have been the tires being low and throwing a wheel speed sensor? Or since more than one tire was low, it was throwing something out of whack?

I am probably being naïve that this really fixed it. But, fingers crossed!
    Current
    2002 E39 Touring Sterlinggrau

1999 E38 740iL CosmoSchwartz

PAST
    2001 740iL Sport
    2000 740iL
    2003 530i
    1995 740iL

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    I had trifecta yesterday. Went away when car warmed up.. I doubt it's fixed. The wires and connections shrink and expand with cooling and heating of abs module. Put it on the list. Start saving for abs rebuild.
    Last edited by Sleepyhead97; 02-21-2019 at 10:19 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Damn that looks like an old-farts cell phone set to HUGE TEXT MODE. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?! HELLO!?!? CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?
    <holds phone up to ear in speakerphone mode so everybody in 20 foot radius can hear the call better than he can>

WTF is it with old farts and insisting on using the damn phone in speakerphone mode anyway....
    anyway....

I'm gonna compensate for that by posting extra small.

Sure. Its possible the tires being low were the problem. If the computer reads 1 or 2 wheels going significantly different speeds than the rest of the car and it doesn't go away for sure it'll throw an error condition. That's how the basic TPMS thats in the M5's (and some euro optioned cars) worked... They'd have to have been REALLY LOW though. Like "that was really bad for your tires" low.

But SleepyShouter could be right maybe its just temperature/fluke and it'll come back...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1999 5281
    04 and 05 e60's used a similar system, LTMS prior to TPMS, read WSS data for a single wheel difference and triggered the low tire fault. i think gg mentioned something akin to this in his post but i couldnt hear a word of the last half.

My Cars
    88 535I, 91 535I, 01 X5
    Had the Trifecta on my 01 E53 X5 for two days. Cleaned all ABS sensors and that fixed my trifecta. Its been a week since.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Damn that looks like an old-farts cell phone set to HUGE TEXT MODE. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?! HELLO!?!? CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?
    <holds phone up to ear in speakerphone mode so everybody in 20 foot radius can hear the call better than he can>

WTF is it with old farts and insisting on using the damn phone in speakerphone mode anyway....
    anyway....

Sure. Its possible the tires being low were the problem. If the computer reads 1 or 2 wheels going significantly different speeds than the rest of the car and it doesn't go away for sure it'll throw an error condition. That's how the basic TPMS thats in the M5's (and some euro optioned cars) worked... They'd have to have been REALLY LOW though. Like "that was really bad for your tires" low.

But SleepyShouter could be right maybe its just temperature/fluke and it'll come back...

Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    04 and 05 e60's used a similar system, LTMS prior to TPMS, read WSS data for a single wheel difference and triggered the low tire fault. i think gg mentioned something akin to this in his post but i couldnt hear a word of the last half.

You guys rock

- - - Updated - - -

BTW the RDS (proto-tire pressure system in euro cars and M5) worked by means of an antenna. Yessir, an antena in each wheel, readed by a wireless transducer in the wheel well. The rear right antenna also had to read the spare or it would trigger a fault.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

anyway....

Rofl wow.

I had a little issue with font size