Thread: 2001 540i M-sport -- rebuild or swap??

My Cars
    2001 540i M-sport

2001 540i M-sport -- rebuild or swap??

Hey all,
    I am looking for some sound advice and recommendations regarding my 2001 540i M-sport. I bought the car in 2009 with about 67k on it but it was in perfect shape and ran like a BEAST!!! No mods except Dinan exhaust from the previous owner. It now has 163k on it - I love driving this car!!! LOL!

I have done my best to keep the car maintained but the it's performance has waned and some cosmetic issues are starting to creep up. I really really want to keep the car but I am struggling to decide what to do about the motor. I want it's full potential and reliability back. So, do I have it rebuilt (I am mechanically inclined but and a full engine rebuild it beyond my abilities) or do and engine swap? For either path, I don't know who to turn to. I have spoke to my mechanic about this but they seem like this job is outside their wheelhouse. Ultimately, I want to restore this car as I plan to keep this car for life. Anyways, looking for some expert advice on this!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    163k is middle aged. Why the consideration for overhaul? You don't mention any problems.
    Aside timing chain issues these usually go on a very long time. This could be considered preventive maintenance.
    A complete overhaul is very costly and not usually done given the low cost of good used replacements.
    If there is deferred maintenance (there usually is lots)get all that caught up before condemning it.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-21-2019 at 07:54 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The core of those engines are pretty strong it's the timing chains and guides, valley pan gasket, valve cover timing cover gaskets and cooling system, intake gaskets that need the attention. We have never had to replace an engine or remove the heads I would just keep driving it and replairing what needs to be addressed, if the guides have not been done then do them. Our e39 m5 customer has about 260k on his engine and it has never been apart

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum Shack.
    What makes you think it has lost some of it's get up and go?
    Before you throw good $$$ away you should get the compression checked.
    At your mileage it's possible the intake ports in the head and back sides of the intake valves are loaded with carbon.
    The intake manifold would need to be removed to confirm.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Just want to 2nd (or is it like a 4th by now?) that these motors are deep inside - aside from the 'bolt on parts' quirks like valley pan or chain guides - super robust, and total bottom-end, or even basic head valve jobs are seldom if ever required.

However if you really think the performance has dropped, in addition to the stuff Jim mentions, the most likely candidate would be the VANOS seals deteriorating.
    I mean that's assuming you don't have something simple like vac leaks or deteriorated O2 sensors or MAF or something causing the engine to run below par.

Guys now usually do the VANOS (and that means rebuilding existing units with aftermarket improved seals) at the same time as a timing chain job - 2 birds one stone etc. Its "the big refresh job" that's done on these M62TU's. Could be perfectly worth it. Its a big DIY job but lots of us do it ourselves. Requires some special tools, practically most guys have their cars down for a couple weeks or more doing the job. Parts in the 1 grand range typically.

Lots of "while you're in there" stuff though so its often 4 birds 1 stone. . If cooling system is all original that's time to do it. Is valley pan orig? Is alternator orig? Etc. Those can notch the job up towards $2k in parts depending on what you do. However afterward the engine will purr and run like new, as long as everything else is solid (you do'nt really talk about body/interior of course that's a factor too for whether to invest...).

Not a bad idea to do the compression test first though as Jim says to be sure its worth the effort, but, if you've treated it well oil-wise can't see any reason why it shouldn't be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shack76 View Post
    I have spoke to my mechanic about this but they seem like this job is outside their wheelhouse.
    Oh and about this...

Yeah. Do NOT take this to a shop that doesn't feel comfy. Hell don't even take it to a BMW Indy who pretends to know about them but doesn't really. Job requires a special set of timing tools, lots of "I6 mainly..." BMW independents don't really know these engines well and might have never done a guide job on one. But if you find a good shop (and those aren't impossible to find) labor tends to be another grand or two. Basically assume its something in the range of 1-2 solid days work for them (and now you see why so many of us do it ourselves)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 540i M-sport
    Hey Ross,

My 540 just doesn't have the power that it once did, the tranny doesn't shift like it used too and it has started to leak oil a bit. The power thing, I assumed it was the result of the high miles. The tranny thing started after my mechanic did a fluid and filter change. I addressed it with them and they were able to improve it but it still isn't like it was prior to the fluid change. The oil leak thing, I know that is due to mileage/age. I suppose I may be jumping the gun on a rebuild or swap but I just want the power back it had when I got the car - the power I fell in love with.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

My Cars
    2001 540i M-sport
    I have done some of the coolant system work myself but the other items that you have listed have not. I have also had quite a bit of suspension work done. Still need to do the back shocks. I think I will take it back to my mechanic (they specialize in BMW and other imports and seem pretty competent) and come up with a game plan.

Thanks for your insight!

My Cars
    2001 540i M-sport
    Hey Jim,

It seems sluggish off the line and slower to accelerate. When I first bought it, the low end torque and acceleration was AMAZING!!! And the exhaust note coming from the Dinan exhaust made my heart sing! Anyways...LOL! I think getting the compression checked is awesome advice and I'm not sure if it has been done. But after typing this reply, I am kinda feeling like this may be more of a carbon deposit and overall maintenance issue causing performance issues than the engine itself being wore out.

Thanks so much!

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Loss of low end torque usually means the VANOS seals are toast.

My Cars
    2001 540i M-sport
    Hey geargrinder,

The alternator has been replaced once since I've owned the car, other than that, I believe the motor is original. I have been very lucky with the reliability of this car. The previous owner did a stellar job of maintaining it so for the first 4 years or so I really didn't need to do anything. After reading yours and the other posts, I believe you and the others are right and the motor needs some TLC and we'll be back in business.

As for the rest of the car, the interior is still in awesome shape - it even smells somewhat new still. The exterior is showing some signs of age, a little rust here and there and some of the weather gaskets need replacing. The headlight lens are clouded too. All normal age stuff.

Regarding the mechanic, I think they are all certified BMW mechanics but the shop is independent. I think they are pretty good and they have done a good job of taking care of me.

I will get a compression test done asap. If it checks out then I will start getting all of these issues taking care of.

I have driven quite a few new BMWs and many, many other makes and models of cars and none measure up to my 540... Not sure why. I thought eventually I would get tired of it and want another BMW but I have yet to see another BMW that I like better. Although, E30s are pretty sweet! I like your 540 wagon too, very nice!

Thanks so much very the info, super helpful!!!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    Loss of low end torque usually means the VANOS seals are toast.
    Yep this.

Re: the transmission. Sounds like could be a classic example of underfill, which is not hard to do and not uncommon, although if they were a good indy then they should know better. You have to run the car on the lift and run it through the gears in the air and let it warm up a little but not too much, then top it off. For whatever reason the process seems easier to screw up on these trannies than 'murican boxes that are just "pour it in and go" and some mechanics are used to that... You could be still underfilled if they didn't top it off running and/or they did top it off running but let the trans get too hot.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Ummm, I wonder if your CAT's are starting to plug up?
    If you have one of those little snake cameras you should be able to fish it thru the runners to get a look at the back side of the intake valves.

My Cars
    2001 540i M-sport
    All you guys are awesome! I am really rethinking this and contiplating doing this job myself. What I am wondering now, how do I prioritize all this? The short list appears to be vanos rebuild, replace all gaskets, timing chain and guide replacement, possible cat replacement, tranny underfill and carbon clean up. Did I miss anything? This would all be done after the compression test confirms the "core" of the motor is sound. Having said that, how would I prioritize this work? What work should be done together? What jobs require special tools? Thanks again everyone!!!
    Sometime soon, I will post pics of my 540. It's orient blue with type 66 wheels. I wouldn't change a thing!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Cats are unrelated to any of the other work, in fact almost contrary... the timing chain job you do mostly on the ground although you might have it up a little on stands at first. Cats will have to be done from underneath and you'll have all the usual exhaust hassles... honestly exhaust is not often a great DIY job to take on.

Transmission top-off check is something maybe you can do but again unrelated to the other work.

Valley pan would also be on the list if it hasn't been done.

Look around here there's loads of threads with "whats on the list to do if you do a guide job" including specific parts-lists (those seem to get asked for and posted over and over again...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former: